Manjaro ARM for Pinebook (preview3)

preview
release
manjaroarm
pinebook

Manjaro ARM for Pinebook!

I am proud to announce Manjaro ARM Preview 3 for the Pinebook.

LXQT

KDE

Download here
All files are available from the above link. zip, torrent, sha1 and sha256.

New images are available. These are only preview builds though. Will probably be a little while until I have stable builds. Issues will arise on these.

User Password
root root
manjaro manjaro

New in Preview 3:

• Default browser is now Firefox.
  • Default Offfice suite is now LibreOffice.
  • Default media player is Baka Mplayer (frontend for mpv).
  • Tools to manage GTK themes now installed.

Features:

The Pinebook is a $99 laptop, based on the popular Pine64 ARM board. It sports a quad core ARM CPU, 2 GB RAM, 16 GB eMMC, Wifi and Bluetooth and either a 14" TN screen or an 11" IPS screen.

The Manjaro ARM images are marking Manjaro ARM’s first venture into ARM based laptops and is heavily based on the Arch Linux builds from user anarsoul on Github.

How to install:

Download the image/zip file from the download location. Verify that the download completed successfully.

After that, install Etcher (sudo pacman -S etcher) and burn it to an SD card (8 GB or larger required, because of larger images).

Put the SD card into the Pinebooks SD card slot and boot it up. The Pinebook should recognize the SD card as a bootable device and boot from it.

Once booted and logged in, you will need to run sudo resize-fs to make use of the entire SD card. This will expand the filesystem and reboot your Pinebook.

Fixed in this version:

• Mime types are not generated and present.
  • GDK Pixbuf not gets generated.
  • Wifi is now pretty stable on battery also.
  • Wifi is not active on boot.
  • Sound should now be active by default.
  • GTK theme is now set to Breath-Dark.
  • LXQT Application menu now has a Manjaro icon.

Known Issues:
KDE

• Slow login screen (probably due to blur effect) (theme issue, won’t fix).
  • Favorites not set in menu.
  • Suspend can only be resumed by activating the lid.

LXQT

• Slow windows dragging, with both compositor on and off.
  • Lockscreen/Screensaver not installed. If you know of a QT lockscreen/screensaver, please let me know!
  • Suspend can only be resumes by activating the lid.

Donate!

Please consider supporting us via Patreon or by our other options.

PS: Got my limit increased on OSDN, so will be uploading the images to the official location today, and edit my main post with correct links.

EDIT: And updated with OSDN links.
They where really quick to fix it. :slight_smile:

pardon me if i am asking the wrong question, is this good for raspberry pi3 ?

No. These images are only for the Pinebook.

For raspberry Pi 3 images you should visit this page.

Great job :slight_smile: Some quick feedback:

• resize script doesn’t work (at least on eMMC). I had to resize the rootfs partition manually
  • for the life of me I cannot get smb to work. No luck connecting to my smb shares using the lxqt default file manager or Caja
  • moving windows is sluggish regardless of if compositing is enabled or not

I tested it only on SD cards with sudo resize-fs.

Probably missing some sort of smbclient or plugin.

This happens to me aswell. But only on LXQT. The KDE one is fine.

@Strit,

would you be able to ‘describe’ the general feeling in responsiveness and general ‘workability’ of the pinebook with your image? Also how would it compare (speed, responsiveness) to e.g. RP3b+ ?

If it is workable, then it would be a perfect learning station for my kid (and myself :slight_smile: )

It is generally pretty responsive and as long as you don’t use a heavy desktop like KDE, it is also pretty fast.
It’s amazing how much you can get out of an ARM cpu and 2 GB of RAM.

The pinebook is quicker than the rpi3, that’s for sure, it has a higher clock CPU, double amount of RAM and eMMC storage, which is much quicker than the SD card slot in the rpi.

The rpi3 was never meant to be used as a desktop PC, but for educational purposes.

Thanks! Awaiting my coupon code from here:

https://www.pine64.org/?page_id=3832

The Pinebook is really meant for those who are willing to experiment. Its not your daily driver replacement. Apart from learning software and code, the device is also simple to take apart and do hardware hacks on (there is a free usb header inside you can solder things to). There are some rather nifty ways to get GPIO functionality as well: http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Project#Projects_Utilising_General_Purpose_Input.2FOutput_.28GPIO.29_Pins

I understand that all these single boards are to tinker and learn with. But hey, if they can do the job to serve as a simple laptop for a kid (under 10) then I’m willing to ‘abuse’ it in favor of my budget :wink:

@Strit,

in this article they talk about a Manjaro version as a OS to pick from a list??

Or maybe they boot off of a USB stick?

“The spin of Manjaro LXQT only took about 39 seconds”

Yep. Manjaro ARM has both LXQT and KDE versions for the Pinebook.

Just flash it to an SD card, put the SD card in the SD card reader in the pinebook, reboot and it will boot into Manjaro from the SD card.

Very cool!

Hi. Thanks for this image. The LXQt version works already very good. (I have not tried KDE)

Firefox feels snappier than in the preview2 have you improved something there? Works great.

A few things that still have niggles:

• Sound does not work for me. The Mixer looks ll right but no sound to hear.
  • Wifi on battery is still sometimes quite on and off. When it drops it mostly connects back automatically but sometimes also not.
  • The locale variables are not set so some programmes complain
  • The trackpad feels a bit unresponsive, however I don’t know if that’s even a software problem.
  • I struggle to change the timezone from Copenhagen to London with the Manjaro time tool
  • the keyboard mapping is not correct out of the box for the \ | key next to Z. the correct variant seems to be intl altgr
  • No meta key avilable as the key between Fn and Alt is mapped to MENU

@Strit
Because of the unresponsive trackpad and also because I quite like the way you use tiling wms I have added some keybindings that help to control LXQt and openbox with the keyboard. Are you interested to add more keyboard support for openbox to the LXQt version?

Thanks for the great work :slight_smile:

On all my tests with the lxqt image, sound has worked out of the box.
So no idea why it won’t work on your Pinebook (is it maybe an older model?)

Again, this does not really happen for me anymore. You sure you are using preview3?

I don’t set a locale on purpose. You should do that when you set up your install.

I have the same issue. Don’t have a fix for it. :frowning:

Why? What happens? It should be syncing the time automatically when you go online. Did you check the settings for the World Clock applet?

Again. I have not set any locales or keyboard layouts. This should be set when you setup the system.
Seems that they layout called “English (US, intl. with dead keys)” match the \| key.

Yes. Because it actually has an “application menu” icon, not a super/meta key icon. So that key seems to function as intended.

Firefox was not part of preview 2. Falkon was. So the improvement is that its actually installed. :slight_smile:

Always interested in improving. If you have a conf file I could add, it would be really easy. :slight_smile:

A few things in no particular order.

Work is currently done to determine how trackpad firmware can be improved on existing units - to be precise, how to make it upgradable for users. Once a good way is found, we’ll let people know.

Strit, have you considered trying to use the GPU blob for the KDE desktop (doubt that it would make any real difference on LXQT)? I think that it would significantly improve the KDE image performance. Ping gamiee in PINE64 IRC if you’d like help with including the blob.

There are a few things that will improve performance in Firefox, starting with simple stuff like disabling ‘smooth scrolling’ to setting caching to RAM rather than storage (although, that obviously eats up RAM).

Maybe, but unless it’s as easy as drop-in some files to the filesystem, it’s probably out of my league to pull off.

I don’t change any settings to applications in general, so this would be up to the user to set.

Not sure how complicated adding acceleration is - you’d have to ask gamiee.
As for Firefox changes, sure - I’ve already written up a how-to many moons ago: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=4535

How soon till another preview based on this info? Got a new SD card and was going to install today, but I’d rather wait if there’s another release coming.