Manjaro ARM for Pinebook (preview2)

preview
release
manjaroarm
pinebook

I am proud to announce Manjaro ARM for the Pinebook. This time now with an LXQT edition too!

Download here!

Torrents are also available from the same location.

New images are available. These are only preview builds though. Will probably be a little while until I have stable builds. Issues will arise on these.

• Pinebook KDE
  • Pinebook LXQT

These are QT based images and as such, does not come with any GTK apps.

User Password
root root
manjaro manjaro

Features:
The Pinebook is a $99 laptop, based on the popular Pine64 ARM board. It sports a quad core ARM CPU, 2 GB RAM, 16 GB eMMC, Wifi and Bluetooth and either a 14" TN screen or an 11" IPS screen.

The Manjaro ARM images are marking Manjaro ARM’s first venture into ARM based laptops and is heavily based on the Arch Linux builds from user anarsoul on Github.

How to install:
Download the image/zip file from the download location. Verify that the download completed successfully.

After that, install Etcher (sudo pacman -S etcher) and burn it to an SD card (8 GB or larger recommended).

Put the SD card into the Pinebooks SD card slot and boot it up. The Pinebook should recognize the SD card as a bootable device and boot from it.

The Pinebook will reboot once before it gets to a login screen. This is because the filesystem gets resized to fit the SD card.

On first boot, the wifi card gets activated after a couple of minutes, even though the tray icon (on plasma) does not change.

Known Issues:
KDE

• Unstable Wifi connection, mostly while on battery.
  • Slow login screen (probably due to blur effect).
  • Mime types does not get saved.
  • Favorites not set in menu.

LXQT

• Lockscreen not installed.
  • Unstable Wifi connection, mostly while on battery.
  • Mime types not getting generated properly.

Donate!
Please consider supporting us via Patreon or by our other options.

Hey ‘blur’ can be disabled with a one line of change.

…any leads on the wifi ?
[some output on a separate thread may be worth it…]

I’m using the breath SDDM theme, can you tell me what line to change? :slight_smile:

The pine community is convinced it’s a kernel/driver issue. And might get fixed in an update sometime.

Main.qml
(line 104)

WallpaperFader {
            visible: config.type == "image"

to

WallpaperFader {
            visible: false

(adapta-breath implements this by default)

Oh, and lockscreen at /usr/share/plasma/look-and-feel/org.kde.THEME.desktop/contents/lockscreen/LockScreenUi.qml you can do the same by adding

visible: false

to the WallpaperFader element … for the lockscreen of course.

Can this be installed to the internal emmc? Anarsoul’s images cannot.

I haven’t tested, but I can’t see why not. Just DD it to the eMMC after you take it out. :slight_smile:

Here are some things in no particular order:

*vdpau playback in SMPlayer works really nicely - even 1080p files play back smooth. Perhaps you’d consider bundling it ?
*Firefox works well, but Falkon doesn’t - consider having Firefox added to default browser?
*For the life of me I cannot get sound working.
*There is a nifty ‘palm rejection’ hack that really improves end-user experience, think you could bundle it ?(needs to run at boot) - https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=4916&highlight=proof+of+concept

• Is there a way to add brightness control to the notifications bar ? / does an applet exist ?

Great work so far.

I will add baka-maplayer, as it’s a frontend to MPV, just like SMplayer. I just like baka better. :slight_smile:

Falkon works for me, but the real reason that I include Falkon instead of Firefox, is that Firefox will often result in other apps not starting properly, because of some gdk-pixpuf2 thing. But I will continue to do testing.

Make sure it’s not muted in alsamixer. I always get sound to work, when I unmute it in alsamixer.

I’ll look into this one. I already have a script that runs wifi stuff at boot, so adding this to that should be trivial.

I don’t know of any applet for LXQT that does it.
I have only found the controls inside LXQT Configuration Center -> Brightness.
Anyone know of a qt applet that does this?

First test (booting KDE version from microSD): successful. Seems snappy enough; snappier than the Netrunner that I currently have installed on the eMMC. Wifi works; how’s sleep?

I have a monthly meeting tomorrow that I’d like to take this to for notes; I’ll have to back up some data I already have on the eMMC to get it installed.

I also don’t seem to have any sound. Not muted in Alsamixer either.

Right now I’m doing some tests with a new build method and it seems to work fairly good.

It should fix many of the issues I have had so far.

I’m trying to implement this one, but it seems not to be possible with systemd services.
So I would need an autostart for it, I guess?

The problem is, it needs an X server to function.
But iit also needs to be run as root, since it needs to access events.

Sorry for taking so long to respond - I should be better at monitoring the thread :slight_smile: Anyways, do ask in IRC (anarsoul or Xalius), they’ll likely be able to help.

reading through some various reviews (not pinebook/manjaro, just pinebook/linux) it mentioned video streaming was an issue. do you have the same result with manjaro on pinebook?
i was thinking of ordering one regardless and just curious as thats likely one of the tasks i would use it for.

Video is software decoded, so there is no acceleration on Manjaro ARM. Yet, anyway.

Weird, I thought one of the ARM chip design advantages was the onchip video decode or the OS handoff to the chip. Is this not working with the linux kernel in general or only Pinebook?