Manjaro-Arm boots but goes into black screen

lightdm
raspberrypi

Using a Raspberry Pi 3 and up until recently everything had went well, now the system boots but there’s no login screen, just a black void.

Opened a TTY and checked for errors relating to “lightdm” and the service seems to be running ok, so it’s strange why there isn’t a login screen and all.
Got the latest updates on my system too.

Any ideas on how to fix the issue would be appreciated. Thanks!

[ARM Update] Don't update systemd to 240 if you use LightDM

Please try posting dmesg, journalctl -b, and most importantly /var/xorg/xorg.0.log

Not sure how I can do that without being able to use a browser.
I could probably copy those files and post them here.

No official version is using Lightdm.
WHat edition did you download?

Running uname -a returns this:

Linux manjaro-arm 4.14.86-1-MANJARO-ARM #1 SMP Fri Dec 7 20:39:40 CET 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux

Have the Mate desktop installed. Previous versions of Manjaro came with it by default.

That’s a very old install then. Like from 18.05. :stuck_out_tongue:

Update: Was able to fix my login issue due to problems with systemd.
The logs showed systemd-logind failing to start the display manager in this case, and downgrading to an older version of systemd (239) did the trick.

Another user also reported the issue here:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=243385

So for now I’m running an older version of systemd until the problem gets resolved.

Awesome. Thanks for the report. Will do some testing on my own too.

Did some testing. I did not have the same issue as you.
You sure you are all up to date?

Yup, as far as I can tell all the updates are good.

Could be that my install was out dated and all, so that may have broken a few things.
But other users have reported issues with systemd 240, so let’s see how they manage to fix it.

@Strit UPDATE: As per previous entries, had to downgrade systemd to be able to use my system again, however…
when the updates rolled again Manjaro tried to update systemd again, so I added it to the “ignore” packages section in pacman.

Question is: would that be safe? I mean, don’t want to have “partial” updates and all.
Or, should I update with “pacman -Syyuu” to ensure packages in repo/local stay synced?

EDIT: It is as I feared: the same issue happens also to the Arm version of Manjaro.

:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/7) Updating linux-raspberrypi module dependencies...
(2/7) Updating linux-raspberrypi initcpios...
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux-raspberrypi.preset: 'default'
  -> -k 4.14.94-1-MANJARO-ARM -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux.img
==> Starting build: 4.14.94-1-MANJARO-ARM
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
==> ERROR: binary dependency `libidn2.so.0' not found for `/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-udevd'
==> ERROR: binary dependency `libidn2.so.0' not found for `/usr/bin/udevadm'
==> ERROR: binary dependency `libidn2.so.0' not found for `/usr/bin/systemd-tmpfiles'
  -> Running build hook: [autodetect]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [fsck]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-linux.img
==> WARNING: errors were encountered during the build. The image may not be complete.
error: command failed to execute correctly
(3/7) Updating fontconfig cache...
(4/7) Reloading system manager configuration...
/usr/bin/systemctl: error while loading shared libraries: libidn2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
(5/7) Creating temporary files...
/usr/bin/systemd-tmpfiles: error while loading shared libraries: libidn2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
(6/7) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(7/7) Updating X fontdir indices...

I’m guessing the work around it’s the same?

Not sure. I just released the new kernel tonight, but it is mostly identical to Arch Linux ARM’s. Systemd is Arch’s directly.
I think you have to update systemd to get that working again. Or downgrade libidn2 (not recommended, might break other stuff).

The system is broke after the latest attempt to update it.
Best to re-install and start fresh off with a new build.

Question: got a new Pi3 B+; will the image work for the new hardware?

I would suggest you use the rpi3 image. :slight_smile:

Same here.

Sometimes screen turns right into black, after boot messages part is passed, at the time
the GUI should be opening up.

I did play around with some HDMI/DVI settings, a potential source of it. Didn’t have that much success.