Manjaro ARM Beta7 with Plasma-Mobile (PinePhone)

For testing ModemManager I suggest to give Phosh Dev Daily a test-run: Releases · manjaro-pinephone/phosh-dev · GitHub

(@oberon) Why is the bugtracker not public? :thinking:

It is public. You have been using it for a while. :wink:

You’re right, it’s public.:+1: It’s just that my browsers dedicated to testing and limiting snooping from companies like Facebook and Google use SOCKS5, and there’s something going on for https://gitlab.manjaro.org that I haven’t encountered yet. I mistakenly attributed it to non-public access.

What is the relationship between dev, Nightly (above) and branches?
(+ Is it possible to see, without downloading the whole image, the dev version of /etc/pacman.conf? I’d like to compare it with mine.)

The defference is that the Dev image is based on unstable branch and uses [kde-unstable] repo for all the Plasma packages, while branches are just different update schedules. Unstable branch is every day, testing branch once or twice per week and stable branch usually every 2 weeks or so.

The Dev version of pacman.conf, is the same as our regular pacman.conf, except it has the [kde-unstable] repo added as the first repo in the list.

Thanks. I’m trying, but I’m still not sure.:woozy_face: Sorry. I’m paraphrasing with examples.

Manjaro branches differ only in the frequency with which packages in directories are maintained by a bot (in our case arm-stable, arm-testing, arm-unstable). Where Pacman reaches is set with # pacman-mirrors --api --set-branch <my_choice>.
The dev variant of Manjaro/PlaMo takes KDE Plasma Mobile applications packages from directory kde-unstable, the regular one from community. I don’t know what exactly was meant by “image is based on unstable branch”. Dev branch of arm-profiles?
Images are created for the purposes of flashing. Dev by sudo buildarmimg -d pinephone -e plasma-mobile-dev -v 20210226 -b unstable command, regular by sudo buildarmimg -d pinephone -e plasma-mobile -v 20210226 -b stable -s plasma-mobile -o (nice article :+1:).
Correct?

Not quite. The dev variant is based on unstable branch and has [kde-unstable] repo active.
The “stable” variant is based currently based on testing branch, but does not have [kde-unstable] repo.

Again, not quite. The plasma-mobile-dev profile no longer exists. The dev image is build by doing something like this:

sudo buildarmimg -d pinephone -e plasma-mobile -v 20210226 -b unstable -k kde-unstable

and regular is just using -b testing and without the -k part.

1 Like

If I understand correctly, if I want to transform Manjaro/PlaMo from regular releases to dev (I’m thinking in the context of multi-distro), it means:

• switch to the unstable branch # pacman-mirrors --api --set-branch unstable
  • into /etc/pacman.conf add [kde-unstable] part
  • make changes defined by the arm-profiles (services, packages, …)
    • the list installed ( # pacman -Q) can be compared with the list of a daily dev releases i.e. *-pkgs.txt files
  • update the distribution # pacman -Syyu
1 Like

Ok, this is likely the wrong spot to make this post, so if a mod can help me redirect it that would be great. I was expecting to find a “Manjaro ARM Beta8 with Plasma-Mobile (PinePhone)” thread, but one doesn’t exist yet (nor does a tag for Beta8 exist in github)… which is weird as I did apply an update today where pacman -Q <appname> revealed my kernel is linux-pinephone 5.14.12-1, pipewire is 1:03.38-1, and megapixels is 1.3.0-2… so beyond what Beta7 delivered. Unless that’s normal?

The Manjaro ARM 21.10 released! post is what inspired me to check check for and install updates, and although it does include mention of the pinephone in it… the pinephone is not listed in the “Supported Devices” list.

Anyway, below is what I wanted to report… so if this post does move, feel free to purge anything above this line.

Ran into issues on my Pinephone with the update via Discover today.

At some point I missed a message on the bottom of the phone (caught that it mentioned libtool tho)… and post install/reboot I was given a notification that the “package” had failed… with options to (1) Launch Discover or (2) Repair… neither which seemed to really trigger an action/change.

But once within Discover, I was informed there were no updates to install… so it made me question the notification.

Swapped to the terminal and ran sudo pacman -Syyu for a second opinion and learned two things:

1. Two packages I had installed were somehow newer… libtools and kpeoplevcard (likely what the missed message was about)
  2. There was “nothing to do”… nothing further to update

Used pacman (sudo pacman -S <appname>) to re-install both packages which downgraded them to match the repository, ran sudo pacman -Syyu once more, and was only informed there was “nothing to do”.

Rebooted the phone to see it the notification resolved, but it repeated… which I eventually resolved by sudo rm /var/lib/PackageKit/offline-update-competed (yes, “completed” was spelled wrong).

Any news on modem manager support?

The Beta releases of the PinePhone images are not tiedto strable updates as such. And yes, it’s normal that we don’t do a new Beta for Plasma Mobile for each stable update.

Discover on the PinePhone has been broken since the update of PackageKit and Pacman.

Likely those two packages was downgraded in the repo at some point.
If pacman says nothing to do, it can mean 2 things. Either you are completely up to date with the repo, or your mirror is out-of-date. To check for the latter you can run sudo pacman-mirrors -f5 && sudo pacman -Syyu.

It’s being implemented in upstream these days.

3 Likes

The Posh project has moved from “Gnome Software” to Pamac/GUI… will this project likely do something similar with “Discover”?

Hi, sorry if this is a common question, but Google only pulls a rather old thread…Is there any updates regarding GPS connectivity? I haven’t seen much info other than that old thread mentioning that it wasn’t available at all…is there a roadmap for it? Or any buggy way of attempting to connect to it? I’d love to jump to manjaro-plasma, as I love everything else and how well it performs, but the lack of GPS seems to be my final stop before I can do so…

GitHub - Biktorgj/pinephone_modem_sdk: Pinephone Modem SDK: Tools to build your own bootloader, kernel and rootfs (I have not personally tested the GPS functionality)

Does waydroid work with plasma mobile? any instructions on how to install it? Will it be preinstalled on next Betas ?

Yes Waydroid works quite nicely on Plasma Mobile.

Installation:
open the Terminal and enter following Commands:

sudo pacman -Syu waydroid waydroid-image
sudo waydroid init -f
sudo systemctl enable waydroid-container --now

I don’t think that waydroid comes preinstalled with Beta8 because it’s very large (900MB+)

1 Like

I just installed the Daily Build this daily Build Release Release 202110240826 · manjaro-pinephone/plasma-mobile · GitHub and noticed a some issues.

1. Phone calls are working but the Modem shows no carrier.
  2. The Shell is sometimes very slow
  3. there is a tiny dot in settings->Information (see screenshot 1 below)
  4. those buttons on the bottom don’t fit the Screen (see screenshots below)
  5. qmlconsole → Settings: there is no back button (see screenshot 2 below)
  6. Discover is currently broken:
$ plasma-discover
kf.kirigami: Units.devicePixelRatio is deprecated (since 5.86 ): This returns 1 when using Qt HiDPI scaling.
kf.kirigami: Units.wheelScrollLines is deprecated (since 5.86 ): Use Qt.styleHints.wheelScrollLines instead
org.kde.plasma.libdiscover: error loading "fwupd-backend" "Cannot load library /usr/lib/qt/plugins/discover/fwupd-backend.so: (libfwupd.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)" QJsonObject({"IID":"org.kde.muon.AbstractResourcesBackendFactory","archreq":0,"className":"FwupdBackendFactory","debug":false,"version":331520})
adding empty sources model QStandardItemModel(0x555ff03390)
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/private/PrivateActionToolButton.qml:74:5: QML Binding: Binding loop detected for property "value"
QQuickItem::stackBefore: Cannot stack QQuickItem(0x55601aa4c0, parent=0x555f9f2930, geometry=0,0 0x0) before QQuickPopupItem(0x555f8e4790), which must be a sibling
QOpenGLFunctions created with non-current context
29 -- exe=/usr/bin/plasma-discover
17 -- platform=wayland
24 -- appname=plasma-discover
17 -- apppath=/usr/bin
10 -- signal=11
9 -- pid=1705
18 -- appversion=5.23.1
21 -- programname=Discover
63 -- bugaddress=https://bugs.kde.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Discover
30 -- productname=discover/discover
12 -- startupid=0
KCrash: crashing... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = plasma-discover path = /usr/bin pid = 1705
KCrash: Arguments: /usr/bin/plasma-discover 
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib/drkonqi
Unable to start Dr. Konqi
Re-raising signal for core dump handling.
Segment fault (core dumped)

2 Likes

Posted this on Manjaro ARM Phosh as well, but this could be a flavour independent change
I would like to bring this topic to anybodies attention, if you would like to test it as well/give your opinion:
Pinephone Discussion: using systemd-resolved as dns backend

Kind regards,
Jasper