Manjaro ARM Beta6 with Plasma-Mobile (PinePhone)

It’s been a long time since the last one, so we are now especially proud and happy to publish our sixth Beta Release of the Manjaro Plasma-Mobile edition for the PinePhone:

This image includes

• Kernel 5.13.12 optimized for the Pinephone, which recently had some great improvements in regards of battery life,
  • Frameworks 5.85
  • Plasma 5.22.4
  • Plasma-Mobile apps, which are now bundled as Plamo Gear 21.07
  • Maui Apps 2.0 and
  • Camera app Megapixels 1.2.0 with great improvements in responsiveness,
  • Pipewire 0.3.33,
  • Appimagelauncher 2.2.0 and
  • our Pico-Wizard for easy initial setup at first launch

Since our last Beta, Plasma-Mobile made a lot of remarkable progress in regards of graphical appearance with smooth transitions and auto-rotate. Apps are now launching faster, too.
The drop-down menu provides Settings, Flashlight, a Screenshot function and more.
With Plamo Gear and the Maui Apps you have applications for all typical everyday needs.

Known issues:

• keyboard in pico-wizard closes frequently and needs to be re-opened by tapping input fields again
  • modem stability is still not very good. This should be improved significantly in the near future by transitioning to support of modemmanager
  • text prediction is currently only available for English.
  • many translations are still missing.

Download:

Device PlaMo
PinePhone Beta6
PinePhone Nightly

About the device:
PinePhone:
Perhaps you’re in a line of work where security is a must, or a hard-core Linux enthusiast, or perhaps you’ve just got enough of Android and iOS and you’re ready for something else – the PinePhone may be the next Phone for you. Powered by the same Quad-Core ARM Cortex A53 64-Bit SOC used in our popular PINE A64 Single Board Computer, the PinePhone runs mainline Linux as well as anything else you’ll get it to run.

The purpose of the PinePhone isn’t only to deliver a functioning Linux phone to end-users, but also to actively create a market for such a device, as well as to support existing and well established Linux-on-Phone projects. All major Linux Phone-oriented projects, as well as other FOSS OS’, are represented on the PinePhone and developers work together on our platform to bring support this this community driven device.

Order

Pinephones Beta Edition are still on stock. Visit the Pine64 Store

How to install:

Download the image/xz file from the download location. Verify that the download completed successfully.

After that, install Etcher (sudo pacman -S etcher if on Manjaro) and burn the to an SD card (8 GB or larger).

The PinePhone should recognize the SD card as a bootable device and boot from it.

Donate!

Please consider supporting Manjaro ARM directly via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Open Collective.
You can also donate to our upstream, which is Arch Linux ARM.

Bugtracker

If you face issues with this editon, please open a new issue on our bug-tracker

5 Likes

Will pacman -Syu get me this, or do I need to re-flash my PinePhone?

Hey @oberon, any idea when the above will be the case? Is there any planning/estimation for when this will land? :slight_smile:

Thanks again for all the hard work and making a new BETA release of PlaMo! Will test.

They plan on having this done by Plasma 5.23 release, which is scheduled to be in October.

Simply updating will get you to the package versions used in the image. Yes.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply @Strit. That is earlier than I expected :slight_smile: Would be awesome if we would have (near) stable phone and SMS functionality within PlaMo around the end of the year!

Combined with Waydroid (as a replacement for the abandoned Anbox) this would make for daily-driver material in my usecase, for Android apps that are not (yet) replaceable by FOSS software such as banking apps.

Would I be missing anything else?

I don’t think so. We in general don’t change much regarding what packages are installed.