Manjaro ARM Beta33 with Phosh (PinePhone / PinePhonePro)

connection quality worsening when phone is beside your head compared to on table etc. is expected.

Secondly, try this: use the side buttons to make volume to max. Then make a phone call, and during that phone call, use the side buttons to make the volume max again. You should see you are adjusting 2 different volumes, “internal speaker” “internal earpiece”

I’m just trying to give some (maybe far fetched) ideas what could be going wrong, i wonder because i have been riding manjaro since early alpha releases, and i never had audio issues like you describe.

edit: issues in point 5 you mention don’t make sense in most up to date UI, The button left of notification is rotation. And i don’t know what a “quiet” button means.

Thank you again. I too have not any any particular speaker sound problems up till recently - last 3 weeks or so.

1. Tried your suggestion and indeed the sound sliders do move up and down when I press the volume control on the phone when on a call. When on a call, If I change the Output Source Configuration in Sound Setting from Make a Phone Call to Play WiFi Quality Music the Speaker Volume Slider also moves. The earpiece works fine it is just the external speaker that is not working. More and more I am thinking this is a hardware issue.

2. Sorry was not clear about Quick Menu/Button stuff. On my phone, Swiping down from top brings up the Quick Menu. On my phone which I believe is now Beta 33, there are two sliders for screen brightness and sound at the top; then two columns left and right. On the right column there are 3 items; Wifi connection indicator, battery level indicator, and what I believe is the notification setting, which if I tap has 3 options, default is ON, then QUIET, and then SILENT. Each has a tiny symbol/ icon adjacent to the word - On, Quiet, or Silent. The “ON” setting the word ON is highlighted, but the tiny symbol/icon is grayed out AND has a highlighted warning symbol “!” on it. On the Quiet Option BOTH the word and the “vibration” symbol is highlighted, but the phone also no longer vibrates. And on the Silent Option, word Silent is highlighted, and the symbol/icon is also grayed out. I am GUESSING the non-highlighted symbols/icons mean this function is not working??? But I could be wrong. It is as if the phone is stuck in Quiet Mode.

3. Also while in Make a Phone Call MOde I can hear the speaker test “Right Front/Left Front” in the earpiece. It is just the external speaker that is the problem. Real bummer!

1 Like

I just use pacman -Rdd
Not recommended, I know :slight_smile: but works

Unfortunately that sounds like hardware issue but you have nothing to lose :smiley:
Maybe try to install something completely different distro on SD card and try if the speaker works there?

Quick settings icon are just designed like you mentioned. So the settings are working and showing what they should show. I think that “!” symbol just want’s to tell that the phone is now in SHOUT mode :wink:

VoLTE not working for some reason? Then it will fall back to something not 4G/LTE, i.e., 3G or 2G.

this ships plumber: Release Release 202306140250 · manjaro-pinephone/phosh-dev · GitHub. maybe a provides will be a workaround …

Thank you (and the others) again for your suggestions. I will try another distro. I suspect it is a hardware issue, not sure how to confirm it, but if find a way I may order a new side board, but that is for another day.

The PP is near perfect for me and my use case, but reliability is critical.

In the meantime, after 10 mos of using the PP as my main driver with minimal problems which I could always resolve, it is with regret that I have had to set it aside and return to my fruit phone. The problem with notifications which I have been trying to resolve for 3+ weeks and the recent and curious cell connection level issues are major issues for me. If I find resolution with these I will share them.

Thanks again to all who tried to help me – very much appreciated!!

i am also similar issue on Pinephone pro. Now I cannot hear anything during call. i tried changing mode in sound but did not work. I hope next update resolve this issue.

There was some annoying issue related to suspend but it is easy to solve.

In Phosh 0.28 there was this new option: Allow notifications to wake up the screen.
And by default it on for “Urgent” notifications.
“Suspending soon” notification is now waking the screen and basicly preventing suspend :smiley:

So you need to disable that option like this:
gsettings set sm.puri.phosh.notifications wakeup-screen-triggers []

And btw suspend is way more better than it was before. Suspend will eat something like 1% in hour while it was before 2-4%. The actual % depends how do you run your modem :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for this, I noted my phone-screen waking up all the time :sunglasses: :ok_hand:
I noted since updating to beta 33 my phone drained the battery really quick, maybe this was the reason.

Is there a way to disable the suspending notification only? I never liked it even before this waking screen function and I actually like the idea of waking the screen for other, actually useful notifications.

1 Like

If I understand correctly this should work:

“It would be good if your distro could disable that notification altogether: I’ve added this here: phosh 0.28.0 · World / Phosh / phosh · GitLab
@philm This message is from Guido (Phosh dev)

Thank you for the additional information. I followed your link but I could not really see if there is something the end user (me) can do or is it up to the distro (Manjaro) to disable the automatic suspend-notification?

Indeed, this constant waking up from sleep cycle is really prohibitive of using the phone on battery.

My message was more to manjaro devs.

What users can do this do now is this (in terminal):

1 Like

A warning to everyone:

Even though i did run this command:

until I realized that the phone was waking constantly and checked here for a fix it seems that all the constant going to sleep and waking has broken the modem. The modem constantly disappears and sometimes reappears after a random amount of time. Even if the modem is online, as soon as an sms or phone call is sent to the pinephone the modem dies so I cannot be called anymore and receiving sms is highly unreliable (sometimes the open firmware can restore the missed sms).

It seems that this update essentially broke the pinephone as it is unusable as a phone.

During one of the short times the modem is online I managed to update the open firmware to the latest version, this did not help. I don’t know if there is anything else I could do in software to fix this, though I suspect that the hardware has broken.

Try flashing an older release that you know worked, and don’t update it, and see if the problem persists. It seems the recent big phosh update caused modem instability for many people, for me it’s same as trunorth said, that 4g drops to 3g more often than before, and sometimes the whole modem disappears and reappears.

Turning off notifications from “power” does not change the behavior.

But

gsettings set sm.puri.phosh.notifications wakeup-screen-triggers

works.

Would it be possible if Manjaro would ship nautilus and gvfs-goa be default?
With these packages Nextcloud file integration from System settings will work out of the box