Manjaro ARM Beta3 with Phosh (PinePhone)

For us “customizers” there will also be plasma-mobile on the phone. ATM there are a handful themes builtin which we can select…

2 Likes

Theme customization is secondary to getting a stable, daily driver phone.

As for bugs, my messages are sometimes received out of order following today’s update. Furthermore, sometimes I get an x next to them and they send, but I may not receive immediately following. sometimes upon opening an app the screen will change to the app, however, I believe touch is registering on the menu. In other words, an app will be opening, but when I attempt to first press on the app, it will register a touch on the main menu and open another app.
I’ve also noticed when editing command text on say GitLab that keystrokes will double. Ssoo iitt wwiillll ttyyppee lliikkee tthhiiss. Not sure if this is a Firefox thing or a keyboard input thing.

It’s not the first time I’ve dealt with an incomplete phone. That makes it exciting.

Thanks for the news I didn’t want to hear :wink:

Hey! Just wondering how to switch to unstable source, is it an edit of the pacman.conf file?

Disregard, i answered my own question!

A post was split to a new topic: PinePhone dropping mobile data during deep sleep

bluetooth AutoEnable=true should probably be set by default, it improves the user experience with external mouse or keyboard and allows for things like logging in to the phone after reboot without using the touchscreen.

also the epiphany mobile-user-agent seems to still be forced in some updates even when it is deprecated, and results in errors when updating.

Just tried connecting the Pinephone with Manjaro Beta3 to a 1920x1080 monitor using the hub. It is cool having a mouse and dragging a window to the larger monitor. I could only use it for a few minutes because the phone would freeze. However, if this can be made into a stable user experience, this is a killer feature for people who want this experience (like me) because it is so seamless.

Wondering what others experiences have been moving their Pinephones to Manjaro arm-testing branch for the purpose of reporting issues for developers to work on.

Does changing the repository to the arm-testing branch result in frequent bricking of the Pinephone or is bricking infrequent? Although I don’t use my Pinephone for daily use, I prefer infrequent bricking of the device.

I wouldn’t say bricking, but for me phosh was much more unstable on the testing branch (no surprises). It crashed regularly. I’m finding stable daily driverable at the moment with a few minor annoyances.

i used to follow unstable by accident and then moved over to testing a month or so ago when i realized the branch i was on. I have used it since braveheart release and i never managed to make it fail to boot. The only bigger problem i have had constantly is phosh shell keeps crashing infrequently.

I am running the pinephone on unstable branch - I don’t have any issues worth mentioning. My phone is working for everything basic - calls text etc. - camera is not used very frequently but the few tests I did - it requires extra work :slight_smile:

Thanks stevenandree, varikonniemi, linux-aarhus for sharing your experiences. I might give testing a try for more frequent updates and more opportunities for me to report issues.

The issue for crashes was Squeekboard. By downgrading the package it should be fixed. Also for now we don’t recommend to use unstable branch. It takes time until we fix that branch. So go to Testing for now. I also pushed a new image from yesterday with some goodies.

None of the recent builds (2020-12-11, 2020-12-14) are working for me - after updating with sudo pacman -Syyu they halt at boot asking me to hit Ctrl+D to continue :frowning:

I’ve had to revert to the original beta 3 on stable to have a working Pinephone.

1 Like

@AegisPrime Did you downloaded the latest build and tried it from a fresh SD-Card? We changed the way we use Uboot and switched to 5.10 kernel series.

On my PMOS 1.2a Phone it worked. I can test a Braveheart 1.0 and a MJR 1.2b Phone also as needed. We still have to see on how we update the Beta3 image before we can release Beta4.

@philm Yes, I tried 2020-12-14 - I used Jumpdrive to flash it directly to emmc. I’m using a Manjaro CE phone (2GB) - the only thing I can think of that might be unusual is that I applied the Quectel firmware update (I can’t post a link here but you can find it under Pinephone software in the Pine64 forums).

Incidentally, 2020-12-14 works fine until I update via sudo pacman -Syyu - then it breaks on boot (I can’t post the message right now but it was asking me to hit Ctrl+D to continue). If it’s still broken in the next build you release I’ll post the full error message but I’m back on stable for now.

Had the same issue. From my investigation (hook up a keyboard to the phone, login as root, see what systemd says) it looks like the /boot isn’t properly mounted on the next boot after the uboot-pinephone (or alternatively pinephone-post-install) package is installed. I tried downgrading but that didn’t help one bit. I even managed to erase the partition table, but that’s on me. :joy:

@philm If you can’t reproduce it on your devices I can try that again. Just let me know what sort of logs to gather.

I had exactly the same issue, had to reflash eMMC with jumpdrive… I’m now pretty reticent to reboot the phone as I suspect for now it’ll happen again. @philm