Manjaro ARM Alpha2 for PinePhone and PineTab

Manjaro ARM Alpha2 for PinePhone and PineTab!

The Manjaro ARM project is proud to announce the second ALPHA release for the PinePhone and the PineTab!

This time we added an image for the PineTab as well. Both running Plasma Mobile.

This image are running the 5.4 kernel from gitlab.com/pine64-org/linux, which is designed for the PinePhone and PineTab devices.

Changes since Alpha1:

• Scaling fixed on PinePhone
  • Window decorations fixed
  • Charging fixed
  • Notification bar fixed
  • Bluetooth is detected
  • Wifi is now present

Download:
Plasma Mobile for PinePhone
Plasma Mobile for PineTab

Features:
PinePhone:
Perhaps you’re in a line of work where security is a must, or a hard-core Linux enthusiast, or perhaps you’ve just got enough of Android and iOS and you’re ready for something else – the PinePhone may be the next Phone for you. Powered by the same Quad-Core ARM Cortex A53 64-Bit SOC used in our popular PINE A64 Single Board Computer, the PinePhone runs mainline Linux as well as anything else you’ll get it to run.

The purpose of the PinePhone isn’t only to deliver a functioning Linux phone to end-users, but also to actively create a market for such a device, as well as to support existing and well established Linux-on-Phone projects. All major Linux Phone-oriented projects, as well as other FOSS OS’, are represented on the PinePhone and developers work together on our platform to bring support this this community driven device.

PineTab:
The PINETAB is similar in both form, function and underlying ARM64 architecture to the original 11.6″ PINEBOOK. It is powered by the same Quad-Core ARM Cortex A53 64-Bit Processor used in our popular PINE A64 Single Board Computer. The optional keyboard and trackpad – which doubles-up as a screen cover – effectively converts the PineTab into a petite on-the-go laptop with a touch screen functionality. It runs numerous mainline Linux distributions as well as *BSDs and Android.

As a new open source platform, the PineTab development is an ongoing process and represents a great opportunity to get involved with computing on a different level, to customise and personalise the portable computer experience, to understand what is going on beneath the surface.

How to install:

Download the image/xz file from the download location. Verify that the download completed successfully.

After that, install Etcher (sudo pacman -S etcher if on Manjaro) and burn the image to an SD card (8 GB or larger).

The PinePhone/PineTab should recognize the SD card as a bootable device and boot from it.

The premade users are:
User: manjaro
Password: manjaro

User: root
password: root

Known Issues:

• Most apps do not work yet.
  • Phone calles and texting does not work.
  • Does not have power saving options.
  • No sound card is detected
  • Resize script is not run automatically. Run it manually with sudo resize-fs and reboot.
  • Screen rotation does not work.
  • Some scaling is still not right on the PineTab.
  • Wifi is missing DNS. Fix = sudo systemctl disable systemd-resolved and reboot.

Donate!

Please consider supporting Manjaro ARM directly via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Open Collective.
You can also donate to our upstream, which is Arch Linux ARM.

9 Likes

Looking good! great job :slight_smile:

looks realy nice but wil it run anytime on other Smartphones the pinephone has for me not a good camera

We only have the PinePhone as of now, but we might include more devices as we go along.

1 Like

I have a feeling development for other devices would be helped by certain people having access to those devices... (send me your favorite device and I'll work on it :kissing_cat:)

2 Likes

:smiley:

Congratulation.

We have been trying to get Mobile Network to work on PinePhone.

Now you can test it too.
Install eg25, ofonoctl package and enable it using the following command. Wait till the Mirrors Sync with the new package

sudo pacman -Syy eg25 ofonoctl
sudo systemctl enable ofono
sudo systemctl enable eg25
sudo systemctl enable ofonoctl

And reboot. Make sure the sim card is inserted in the device.
Report back if there is any issue.
To connect to data network enter
sudo ofonoctl wan --connect this will connect your device to the data connection and you should be able to ping to the ip's but not the domain as the dns issue is not resolved over data network yet.

Data and Phone call is not yet tested.
Thanks.

4 Likes

Amazing work ! :slight_smile:

Awesome job! Can't wait for my test device to arrive :nerd_face:

1 Like

Good work! This is AMAZING news! After call, text, sound, and mobile data all work, that'll be an even bigger step forward!

1 Like

install
calls-git
from aur to test callling
and
purism-chatty
for sms

calls-git and purism chatty uses libhandy, which is gtk. Plasma Mobile is QT based.

The on screen keyboard does not work in GTK apps. :slight_smile:

calls-git
does not need keyboard

I know, but the SMS app surely would. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Is it possible to create image for x86 tablet? It would be useful for all the Atom-using tablets.

Yes there is a plan for it and it is in testing (alpha) stage.

Looks like the PinePhone is "out of stock" where can I get one? ( loved ARM for my Raspberry Pie).

You have to wait until they put up the next batch for pre-order, which will likely be in late february.

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by