KDE Plasma 5.26.x Stability Inquiry

I think you might have overlooked my “screenshot”. :wink:

1 Like

Nope. Not true. I thought it was you being clever and deliberately inserting that “Keep crossing those fingers…” phrase to be honest… :wink:

1 Like

If you see something, say something.

:rofl:

Sorry, couldn’t help it… I’ll see myself out…

2 Likes

Right! LOL! :grin:

1 Like

Recent update 2 machines running KDE. one with Intel Video, the other with nVidia Video, both no issues. Here’s the DreamBook with Intel.

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.26.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.100.0
Qt Version: 5.15.7
Kernel Version: 6.0.11-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 4 × Intel® Pentium® CPU N3540 @ 2.16GHz
Memory: 7.6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® HD Graphics
Manufacturer: Notebook
Product Name: W54_W94_W955TU,-T,-C
System Version: Not Applicable

it appears the DELL is ignoring the nVidia grphics, an running the built in Intel Graphics.

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.26.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.100.0
Qt Version: 5.15.7
Kernel Version: 5.15.81-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
Memory: 7.7 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 3000
Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Product Name: Inspiron N5110

I'm not sad about that. Provided nothing changes, that makes my job easier.
1 Like

Well, I spoke a little too soon on account of there not being any problems, because I’ve just stumbled upon an annoying bug, and it’s a new one.

When looking at an email with PDF attachments in KMail, kitinerary hogs the CPU to such an extent that KMail appears frozen. The rest of the system works normally, and after the CPU spike — which takes about 20 seconds to pass — KMail returns to normal operation, and you can open the attachments with Okular. But it happens every time you select that particular email.

At least it’s not a fatal bug. :man_shrugging:

I doubt that they’d be reading the forum, but Grandmaster @philm of the Secret Order of the Manjaruminati is definitely in contact with them, and as such, he may have already informed them of our treacherous conspiracy to subjugate the population of this planet to Plasma 5.24 LTS. :stuck_out_tongue:

:crazy_face:

3 Likes

To do that, you’d need a stable platform to do it from, ya know? So, maybe not quite at the moment…but planned…eventually.

1 Like

Keep crossing those fingers…

Okay yesterdays Update to 5.26.4 didnt solve my bugs, so Plasmashell keeps crashing. I case anybody hoped for a fix.

2 Likes

:musical_note: Keep crossing those fingers, baby! :musical_note:

At least i have learned how to deal with it without rebooting:
Go to textshell with CMD+ALT+F2 execute killall plasmashell
Go back to graphic shell with CMD+ALT+F1, open KRunner type in plasmashell, press Enter everythin is okay again.

Till it happens the next time.

1 Like

Or, create an alias somewhere, say ~/.zshrc:

alias kr='kquitapp5 plasmashell && kstart5 plasmashell'

then you can just execute kr when you need to have it restarted.

kr

Works for me, might work for you.

2 Likes

Winnie Bot™ 2.1-rc6 has autodetected a typographical and/or syntax error in your recent post.

Processing…

Processing…

Processing…

I have concluded with a 99.84% confidence factor that you meant to write ~/.zshrc instead of ~.zshrc

:robot:

2 Likes

Thank you @winnie the 'bot.

2 Likes

So…we be in the Manjaruminati now? I’m all in with that! LOL.

2 Likes

Be careful with today’s update to kde apps 22.12 in unstable guys, plasma already crashed twice on me since I installed it this morning ! :frowning:
Rolled back to 22.08 this afternoon and no more problems now…
Cheers,
Eddy

2 Likes

What were you doing at that time? I’m not seeing any crashes with 22.12. More detail/logs or this has to be regarded as FUD imho.

2 Likes

I’m on manjaro stable. On the process of updating to 5.26.4 now.
Since I left the safe grounds of 5.24 the only thing really bothering me is not the little quircks I can live with. It is just the fact that I can’t keep my machine running all time as it used to be. If I don’t put it to sleep overnight then most times in the morning the shell is stuck.
It never happens while I’m working, just when the machine is idle for some hours. I hope 5.26.4 makes it more stable but otherwise… what is the best way to downgrade to 5.24.7? Is there a manjaro meta package that does that?

Thanks!

2 Likes

From earlier in this thread:

However, keep in mind that the gravy train might not last much longer. Later releases of KDE Frameworks might soon cause glitches and breakages if we stick with KDE Plasma 5.24.7.

3 Likes

After the recent update (
[Stable Update] 2022-12-06) of Manjaro, I get rid of this problem without turning on DND. :heart:

update:

happens again