Manjaro ARM 19.10 released!

Manjaro ARM 19.10 released!

We are proud to announce the release of Manjaro ARM 19.10!
With this release we are going back to a more streamlined image release.
This means that we will now focus on making images for our best supported devices. These devices are currently: Raspberry Pi 4, Rock Pi 4, RockPro64 and the Pinebook.
This release supports headless setups and the new Bootsplash (except for Raspberry Pi, Khadas and the Odroid-N2 devices)!
And we now provide a KDE Plasma image for the Raspberry Pi 4!

eMMC flash image for Pinebooks

It's an image for supported laptops designed to flash Manjaro ARM to the built-in eMMC module, so you don't have to fiddle with DD and/or take out the eMMc module yourself.
Right now an image for the Pinebook is available in the download folders linked below, but will be named emmc-installer in addition to the regular filename.
These images will be available shortly after regular images release.

OEM Setup

This release sports the OEM setup for all images, also via SSH. This means that at first boot, you will be asked about the following:

• username
  • additional user groups
  • full name
  • password for that username
  • password for root
  • timezone
  • locale
  • keyboard layout (except on pinebook, that is fixed to us layout)
  • hostname

Then the setup script will set these settings and reboot to the login screen.

Screenshots

XFCE

KDE Plasma

Downloads:

Torrents are also available!

Features:

• New kernels and packages all around.
  • XFCE 4.14
  • KDE Plasma 5.17
  • All images now support headless setup. Connect with ssh root@<ip> and you should see the OEM setup.
  • OEM setup is now themed to match Manjaro colors a bit more.
  • Renamed the KDE edition to KDE Plasma, to better align with upstream Plasma naming.
  • Most devices now use the in-kernel bootsplash.

Updating from 19.08:

• Old releases should just keep on rolling.
  • If you want the 19.08 experience, we recommend re-installing the system.
  • To enable bootsplash on your updated system, install bootsplash-theme-manjaro and bootsplash-systemd, then enable bootsplash-hide-when-booted.service and bootsplash-show-on-shutdown.service, then reboot.

Known issues:

• No audio cards on Odroid-C2, Rock64 and Khadas Vim3.
  • Wireless is not working on the Khadas Vim 3 and very unstable on the Rock Pi 4 (looks like a power management issue).
  • Bootsplash does not work on Raspberry Pi, Odroid N2 and Khadas Vim devices. Bootsplash also seems to hide the OEM setup on some XFCE images. To access it, power on device, wait for 30 seconds, then press ESC.

Supported Devices:

• Raspberry Pi 4 (tested on B)
  • Rock Pi 4
  • Pinebook
  • RockPro64

With Manjaro ARM Installer:

• Raspberry Pi 3 (tested on B)
  • Odroid C2
  • Odroid N2
  • Rock64
  • Khadas Vim 3
  • Khadas Vim 2 (new addition) (not tested)
  • Khadas Vim 1 (new addition) (not tested)
  • Pine64-LTS / Sopine (tested on Pine64-LTS board)

What about other devices?

Manjaro ARM no longer supports the armv7h architecture. So if you have/use an armv7h device, you should be looking at other distro's. Some could be:

• Arch Linux ARM
  • Armbian
  • Raspbian (for the raspberrypi)
  • Ubuntu Mate
  • Parabola

The armv7h repo has been removed from the repo server and mirrors.

I won't be making images for all the supported devices. If your desired image for your desired supported device does not exist, please use manjaro-arm-installer to install it to an SD/eMMC card.

We are working on images for the PineTab and PinePhone. But getting the touch interface, rotation and sensors working correctly is proving troublesome.
We might release alpha images for these devices soon.

Donation

Please consider supporting Manjaro ARM directly via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Open Collective.

9 Likes

I thought KDE ran slow and glitchy on the Pi4? :thinking:

We have been doing some tests in the last month or so and it actually runs pretty good.

KDE Plasma on the Pi 3 was terrible, but the new Soc in the Pi 4 makes it usable.

1 Like

huh, interesting to see KDE (my fave DE) on the Pi 4 finally :slight_smile:. Keep up the good work you guys and gals :wink:

Is hardware acceleration enabled on the RPi4?

Yes. The VC4 driver is enabled.

Please, please, please bring back the support for the Odroid N2!! <-
It is a really capable device, the manjaro arm 19.08 works awesomely on it and it's actually available.

The remaining issues are very minor (easily solvable by the user), it runs youtube at 1080p smoothly and mainline kernel support for the graphics chip appears to be nearly there. That said, KDE already runs almost perfect as it is. It is truly an awesome device and Manjaro ARM KDE on it, makes it complete.

So please keep Odroid N2 supported on Manjaro ARM.

(Oh, and rather important: Thanks for all the recent new package updates!)

1 Like

It is supported. Just via the Manjaro ARM Installer. We can't make images for each device we support. But they are all available in the installer.

Hi,

Nice job manjaro !

Why don't you begin the setup with the keyboard layout, like the manjaro desktop installer?

I try to build an image for the n2 and I'll test it as soon as possible :slight_smile:

On the n2, the oem image is available with 2 KDE versions :

kde-plasma
plasma-mobile (Manjaro is ready for the PINEPHONE ? )

Enjoy !

6 posts were split to a new topic: Pinephone chat

A quick tip for readers trying to build the 19.10 ARM image using the arm build tools as instructed here ([Wiki] Contributing to Manjaro-ARM). These instructions don't work on Manjaro ARM itself. The build instructions are to be run on an x86_64 Manjaro install. You build the ARM image from an x86_64 Manjaro install, not from another ARM install.

It says so clearly on the page, but, yeah, as always: read carefully. This took me a while to figure out.

Awesome, thanks. How about the Odroid N2?

What about the Odroid N2? You need to be more specific.

Does it support HW accelerated graphics as well?

As far as the kernel permits it yes. We build no custom xorg-servers or custom apps to take advantage of specific hw acceleration implementations.

But you could install it and test, if you have the device. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have a problem with getting display output running Manjaro ARM 19.10 on a Raspberry Pi 4.

If I use a microHDMI to DVI-D adapter and start up the Pi 4 I’m not getting any output.

However if I first use a microHDMI to HDMI-cable, start the Pi 4 (works fine) and then unplug the cable and switch to the microHDMI to DVI-D cable while the Pi 4 is turned on I’m getting display output with it.

Any help would be much appreciated👍

Only help I can give is don't use an adapter-cable. I have had countless issues when using an HDMI-DVI on multiple different boards.

Pretty hard when my display can only handle the full resolution with DVI-D and the stupid Raspberry Pi foundation choosed to use microHDMI.. Guess I’ll need to run Manjaro on a NUC..

Try putting this in /boot/config.txt and reboot.

hdmi_force_hotplug=1

Raspberry Pi 4 truly needs a profesional Linux Os.
Manjaro ARM would be this os :slight_smile:

Keep up the good work! :slight_smile:

Forum kindly sponsored by