Manjaro ARM 19.08 released!

I have all that have been released including the pi3b+. I still maintain a current kernel for the pi1 and still play with it from time to time.

Yes, i rebooted. I first tried logging out and in again but noticed this. Then i rebooted. After a reboot it looks fine initially but as soon as icons change they start overlaying as described above. For example the WiFi icon. It shows the x after disconnecting but also the strength from the previos connection.

I never use wifi here. I need better bandwidth for my satellite streaming.

I still have ADSL with 16 Mbit/s down only because #neuland and there are still many regions with far worse speeds.

edit:
Nevermind. Misunderstood.

And there we go with the next problem :stuck_out_tongue:

I have been playing around with snes9x-gtk and noticed audio is totally distorted. After a while i found out i had to increase the audio buffer from default 32 milliseconds to 256 ms which is very high and undesirable for good audio latencies. And also it seems pulseaudio is taking way more resources than it should for such a simple task (output device is set to ALSA so not sure why pulseaudio is handling this anyway).

I'm not sure if this is just a misconfiguration (fake mono output device ect.) or just a bad driver.

I have no distortion playing normal audo or video programs here. This image is set up for use with pulseaudio. Pulseaudio is handling programs that require alsa with a program called pulseaudio-alsa.

Since I do not have any sound issues with regular programs and I have switched between pulse and alsa with my music player; I can only assume that there is a bad relationship with the super nintendo emulator somewhere with it's audio.

Things to try:

Some distortion issues can be fixed with adding tsched=0 here:

sudo nano /etc/pulse/default.pa

add tsched=0 here and reboot

### Automatically load driver modules depending on the hardware available
.ifexists module-udev-detect.so
load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0
.else

In the past there has been issues with sound in vc4/v3d mode. Enable fbturbo and reboot:

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo~ /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf

1 Like

You did it again! tsched=0 makes 32 ms work with few hiccups. What is this setting doing if i may ask? I'm a bit worried if i change too many settings something will break in a future update. Especially audio which looks a bit WIP at the moment.

Awesome!!

To tell you the truth too much water has gone under the bridge since I had to add that. I do know I had to do it when I started messing with v3d probably about a year ago. I keep all of my notes for future use. In the back of my mind there is seems to be something about alsa and pulse using different default audio bit rates. 48000Hz with one and something else with the other. It never caused an issue here by using it.

I might add the the vc4 services are still in the staging area in the kernel so they are considered as experimental until all bugs get worked out.

Not to change the subject but today I installed Kaffeine to test my ATSC device and it worked great with the pi4 even playing the stoutest stream here. (1920x1280 @18Mbit stream):

48000 KHz is intense :stuck_out_tongue: (You probably meant 48 KHz :wink: )

It looks to me like they took the VC4 drivers and beat them until they worked on the VC6 ¯_(ツ)_/¯ There are some features left behind by this like the advertised Vulkan support which Dolphin could really take advantage of (on my x86_64 machine with iGPU Vulkan is a real game changer. With OpenGL it just can't reach 2x internal res). I hope they are making a real VC6 GPU driver soon and fix these problems. I wonder if the compositing slowdown is a driver issue too.

That's nice :slight_smile: I have not yet tried video playback outside FF. Not sure if hardware decoding works yet.

Which programme gives the terminal cpu temperature check?

It is a batch file I found on the internet. It will update every 2 seconds until you do a CTRL-C.

I named it cpu-temp-speed and made it executable (chmod +x cpu-temp-speed) then moved it to /usr/local/bin/:

#!/bin/bash

# Usage:       cpu-temp-speed
#
# Monitors CPU clock speed and temperature.
# 
# This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
# it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
# the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
# 
# This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
# but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
# GNU General Public License for more details.
# 
# You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
# along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
#

cpu_freq=/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq
cpu_temp=/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
if [ -e $cpu_freq ] ; then
  if [ -e $cpu_temp ] ; then
    while [ true ] ; do
      clk=$(cat $cpu_freq)
      cpu=$(cat $cpu_temp)
      echo -ne $(($clk/1000))" Mhz / "$(($cpu/1000))"° C \r" 
      sleep 2
    done
  fi
fi
4 Likes

Thank you.

Very nice, works a treat.

Thank you

I just installed the xfce image on my Raspberry Pi 4 4GB. Everything looks great, thanks!
How about utilities like raspi-config, raspistill, raspivid? Is there a package? raspberrypi-firmware doesn't seem to be available for the armv8 arch. Is the current lack of support an issue to use the Pi camera? If so, will it arrive soon or should I install a raspbian to experiment with the camera for now?

Those utilitys are only the the RPi Raspian image. The raspberrypi-firmware if you are referring to the files that go under /opt/vc are not available to the 64bit os; guessing that the rpi people have no interest in porting over to 64bit. I do not have a camera to test with so I have no clue of it's status but if it uses the libs under /opt/vc then probably will not be working.

1 Like

Installed VLC (because why not) and tried some 720p mkvs (h264, AC3) i had lying around. Hardware decoding is not working (yet). Doesn't matter if i disable hw decoding in the settings or choose one of the options (vdpau, va-api ect.). VLC always takes 40-70% CPU according to htop. So yeah, waiting patiently until hw decoding and stereo audio (and audio passtrough over HDMI) works :slight_smile:

How about KDE image for RPi4? I hope it will come soon.

KDE was considered for the Pi4, but I decided not to do it this time around, since I am still not convinced the Pi4 has enough "power" to do it right.

I haven't tried yet, but I guess still no GPU acceleration on the Pinebook 1080p?

We really need that kernel 5.0.3 (?) coming.

GPU acceleration on the Pinebook will probably only happen on Wayland. Since Lima (the gpu driver) is only really being developed for wayland, according to one of the devs.

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by