Manjaro Architect installation

I am looking for a step by step guide to installing Manjaro Architect because I would like to choose just what I need during the installations.

I have only found one YouTube video on thus subject so far and it was not entirely clear.

Installing the Architect software, or installing Manjaro using Architect?

Providing a walk-through guide for a full-custom installation seems a little pointless - if you don't know what the options do, then you'd need each option to be explained, and you'd need to make a choice, and then it's not a walk-through.

Architect is not really intended for people who don't know what they're doing so if you want an automated process then use the standard installer.

I was referring to the Manjaro Architect install option. Manjaro Architect is a official version of Manjaro according to the website.

I understand most of the options after watching a video on YouTube, covering the most common options to chose.

I was just unsure of a few options.

The guy explains what the options mean. I was just looking for a more extensive guide.

The standard installation has too much stuff I would not use anyway.

A few things:
First, you don't need to download the architect edition to use manjaro-architect. It is available on all the ISOs. I personally find it easier to use from within a graphical session because you can easily connect to a network and make other settings changes if needed. Ultimately, it does the same thing either way. The architect edition ISO is just smaller and runs out of a TTY.

Second, the wiki has an article that is a little out of date at this point. I just gave it a quick review and I don't see anything totally out of place so it should mostly be accurate.
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Installation_with_Manjaro_Architect

Lastly, as @jonathon points out, manjaro-architect is definitely targeted towards experts who want to customize their install. Depending on where you currently are on your Linux journey it may feel totally straightforward or totally overwhelming.

1 Like

I agree with everything you said and thank you very much for your advice. I did try out the Manjaro Gnome live environment and noticed a Architect icon. I found that Gnome looks like a toy shop to me and it's too distracting.

I did watch a YouTube video about installing Manjaro Architect and understood most of it except one or two steps.

I am using Antergos now and was just looking for a alternative in case it breaks and it's also coming to and end and as understand it, I will end up with Arch only.

The best plan for my level of knowledge would be to download Manjaro XFCE and try to install Architect from there. If it doesn't work I'll just install the XFCE version.

The big reason is that in Antergos they gave you the choice to install what you want and the installer was really easy to follow compared to Manjaro Architect.

1 Like

No matter which ISO you use to run manjaro architect, it will be able to install any desktop environment. You should be able to use your Gnome ISO to install XFCE.

1 Like

Great article Dalto! That what I was looking for.

I meant if I cannot install the Architect version I will just fall back on the normal XFCE version installed with the graphical installer.

I did try to install Debian 9 with the net installer and ended up with no desktop.

Anyway, I have been using Antergos for a week and will never go back to anything Debian/Ubuntu.

Arch based distros just work much better on my PC.

1 Like

I do most of my installs via Architect. That being said, it is honestly just as easy to remove the extra software you don't want/need.

2 Likes

I have only used Antergos for little over a week, but would like to learn how to install Manjaro Architect, I will just have to do a lot of home work first.

If it works I guess I will start with sudo pacman -Syu, sudo pacman -S gufw and sudo pacman S- firefox and figure out what to do next. Will this work?

How do one install the package manager?

1 Like

I always start a new installation with pacman-mirrors & pacman -Syyu so I would recommend something like this:

sudo pacman-mirrors -f
sudo pacman -Syyu

Then add whatever packages you want after that.

It may already be there depending on what you select in m-a but if not you can always install it and the packages mentioned above with:

sudo pacman -S gufw firefox pamac-gtk --needed
1 Like

Thanks a lot, that's a start. I am unsure what's included in a Manjaro Architect install but if I have a package manager I can choose things like xorg-server and pusleaudio from it.

Unless you do a CLI install or a custom install, m-a should leave you with a functioning system out of the box.

2 Likes

That's exactly what I have in mind, thank you.

1 Like

I'm using manjaro xfce and I love it. Everything works, and looks great.
I would like to use LVM and If I'm correct the best way is to use m-a.
I wolud like to have drivers and original manjaro xfce look.
Can you tell me waht should I choose to achieve that?

I've tried m-a installation few months ago. System has been working but if I remember it looked different from original XFCE install.

It walks you through it. First you prepare the disks and get that setup. Next you would select that you want to install a desktop and pick xfce. That will install the Manjaro customized version of xfce.

It is a little tricky the first time you go through it. I would try it in a VM first.

I've installed m-a once. But don't remember whole process.
In the page that you gave link there is phrase:

Next you will see a selection of all the available kernel extramodules . Since for my wireless card I will need the broadcom-wl module

No such a thing in standard installation.
How can I tell what kind of modules I need? Should I knew it because everyone knows or do I have to check everything?

If you don't know just go with the defaults and see what happens. You shouldn't add them all.

I've created LVM partitions. (terminal inside live cd)
M-A found them but after instlation configuration (I've mounted lvm volumes for root and home) when I try to install desktop system M-A is telling me that I have to mount partitions.
Don't know what do with that. I've deleted all volume groups etc and recreated them in lvm manager in M-A but the result is the same.
For now I'm trying to install system in virtualbox and if I succeed than I'll try in real hardware.

p.s.
In m-a I can enable fsck. Should I if even don't know what is it?

How and where did you mount them?

Make sure you mount them via the Mount menu under prepare in m-a.

Mounted in m-a prepare. Dialog boxes said that everything is ok but it is virtual machine so mayby this is a problem.
I'll try on my laptop.