Manjaro architect 0.9.2

manjaro-architect

Manjaro-architect 0.9.2 has now been released in all manjaro branches.

Manjaro-architect is a terminal based manjaro net-installer, which lets you install any manjaro edition regardless of your install media, and lets you tailor it to your own needs from kernels to the application choices.

The biggest feature in the 0.9.2 release is the new System rescue menu. This menu allows you to add and remove packages, reinstall bootloader, chroot into your installation and perform other common system rescue tasks. More system rescue options such as log viewing, enabling and disabling services and data recovery are to be expected in future releases.

I need a Manjaro iso with kernel 4.12 or higher!
Manjaro-architect 0.8.11
Manjaro-architect 0.8
[unstable] Testing for manjaro-architect 0.9
Manjaro Net/LXQt 17.0.5
Manjaro-architect 0.9 released
Manjaro-architect 0.8

Great!
I have a question. If I wanted to have a rescue system on a memory stick, which one should I have?
An installed OS (Manjaro) or a burned iso file (live).

You can have any Manjaro Live USB. It is best if manjaro-architect is preinstalled on it, otherwise you will need an internet connection to isntall the package. It doesn’t need to be the dedicated Manjaro-Architect ISO without Xorg. IIRC oberon’s latest ISOs come with manjaro-architect, also the new bspwm ISO will.

Live iso might be better at booting on variety of machines, usb installation is more flexible. I would go with usb installation, especially if I used it mostly for one system.

A rescue system needs a ‘base’ to be installed. An “iso (file) live” does not have a ‘base’. And after installling the ‘base’ (on the live), it still complains it need a ‘base’.

An checking on the m-a on an installed OS, the ‘rescue’ system seems ‘limited’.
Sorry, that’s my honest opinion. But appreciate the inclusion.

And I agree. It is far from completele, I initially added just a few options that I could get without writing any really new code.

In the future I would like to add atleast:

• automatic mounting of partitions if user doesn’t mount them manually
    • handling for btrfs subvolumes
  • add/disable services (like in bmenu)
  • view logs
  • rollback pacman updates (might be difficult to implement)
  • recover data with photorec

What options would you like to have?

The chroot to partition, which you already have, is good enough.
Though personally, I had always felt the best way, if possible, is to boot directly to the OS itself - including to prompt - and fix it from the OS directly.

Oh… BTW, I went to ‘rescue system’ to a good working OS and tried to ‘fix a bootloader’ (working) there. When rebooted to that (working) OS, it boots but ‘pacman -Syu’ results in lots of errors (pil1 something git). Trying to fix it causes more problems. I broke it. No worries, It is my testing OS. I can make another one. And maybe I did something wrong at the ‘rescue system’.

Cheers.

That seems odd. Why would reinstalling bootloader cause pacman errors? Can you open a issue in github and provide more details?

Sorry, I broke it.
Can’t get back to boot now.
There was lots of things to update (unusual, IMO) but message says something like “git pil1 not found” and there were unusual repo like pil1:/// and pil1: /usr/share/… stop proceeding. Can’t make it out. Sorry can’t be of more help.

Thank all of you. I hope it’s not too off-topic. :blush:

I’m talking about a rescue OS. If you have something preinstalled, then it is not live.
I’m not aware of Oberon’s ISOs.

You’ve got the point. I’m thinking about hard ware incompatibility.

I didn’t understand. I can run TestDisk on a live ISO and even recover my files. Then what is the “base”?
A backward of live ISO is, that your config and updates can not be saved.

If you select ‘rescue system’ (on a live m-a), it tells you you need to install a base system first.
And that would be a kernel and other stuff.

Just have a look at the packages and options included with Parted Magic.

It’s one of the very best Live Rescue CDs

Thank you for reporting. Its actually just any file named /.base in the root of target installation. But it should check for mount, not base.

I think you misunderstood what I wanted to say. “Preinstalled” means here that it is in the list of live packages; you boot up the live system and you can enter sudo manjaro-architect in the terminal and it starts.

I mean Deepin, Cinnamon, i3 community editions.

I supposed it as a net installer has the “base”.

I downloaded M-A and tried to install it on its own memory stick (16Gb).
Every thing went fine.Just one issue:
I couldn’t find my country in locale list. there were languages and countries that I can hardly find them on map, but Iran.
I just want to know why? (I’m content with US-english format)

I think (but am not sure, because driving), that available locales are determined by the contents of /etc/locale.gen

Can you set your locale by other means?

EDIT: to list locales it uses this bit of code:

for i in $(cat /etc/locale.gen | grep -v "#  " | sed 's/#//g' | sed 's/ UTF-8//g' | grep .UTF-8); do
        LOCALES="${LOCALES} ${i} -"
    done

So, it takes /etc/locale.gen and removes the lines that have a space after #. Then it removes # from remaining lineaarinen. It then removes portions that have space before UTF-8. Then it shows only the lines that contain string “.UTF-8”.

Could it be that the desired locale is not UTF-8? Or that there is a additional comment on the line that the locale resides in?

I cannot recall in m-a if there is an option to add boot parameters (the ‘normal’ manjaro installer has this option) or if you can input ourselves.

If there is an option to add, then add the following
tz=Asia/Tehran
lang=fa_IR
keytable=ir

If keyboard is qwerty and you have special input method, keytable=us
Hope you can find this option, I cannot recall as I don’t have this problem.
From old habit (old times there was problem installing in other languages), I install in qwerty (and english) and install other languages after installation.

Good luck.

[edit] -

I cannot recall in m-a if there is an option to add boot parameters

Oh ya, now I remember. I use this grub2 boot isofile to boot m-a installer and we can add options in the grub2 parameters.

First of all, thank you both.
Locale determines system language and layout.
Keyboard is set in another step and I can add Persian to KB easily.
I know how to set time zine in its own step.
I don’t want to read Western calendar in Persian and more important, don’t want to use right to left format for applications.
So, there is no problem, just one question. Why Iran is ignored? Consider less developed and smaller countries are listed.

I had a problem in booting installed system. I guess I forgot to format boot partition.

Not on purpose. Testing now.

EDIT: The line where it resides does not contain

.UTF8

Our method seems to leave many locales out. So, a bug.