Manjaro-architect 0.8

Yeah, that’s where the gut feeling I mentioned came from. Is there a code that automatically installs network drivers?

Ah well! But you can do, as I just realize:

mhwd -a pci free/nonfree 0200

for network drivers! :laughing:
Never heard of that before!
I just looked up the classid for network drivers and typed it in :wink: Seems to work.

$ sudo mhwd -a pci free 0200
[sudo] password for bernhard: 
> Skipping already installed config 'network-broadcom-wl' for device: 0000:02:00.0 (0200:14e4:4359) Network controller Broadcom BCM43228 802.11a/b/g/n
> Skipping already installed config 'network-r8168' for device: 0000:03:00.0 (0200:10ec:8168) Network controller Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Good find on the mhwd -a network drivers, @Chrysostomus this should make network card installs easier now… :slight_smile:

Same issue as with LxQt system, new KDE openrc install hangs on boot, so probably issue with new polkit-consolekit as last week’s install successfully booted.

The KDE system doesn’t have an /var/log/auth.log file though, unlike the LxQt system, so I can’t find the same log message.

From sddm.log

$ cat sddm.log
[13:53:31.277] (WW) DAEMON: Auth: sddm-helper exited with 6
[13:53:31.277] (II) DAEMON: Greeter stopped.
[13:54:16.419] (WW) DAEMON: Signal received: SIGTERM
[13:54:16.419] (II) DAEMON: Socket server stopping...
[13:54:16.419] (II) DAEMON: Socket server stopped.
[13:54:16.419] (II) DAEMON: Display server stopping...
[13:54:21.424] (II) DAEMON: Display server stopping...
[13:54:21.437] (II) DAEMON: Display server stopped.
[13:54:21.437] (II) DAEMON: Running display stop script  "/usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xstop"

You can check with the following commands

If it shows the same output, then maybe it is rather an issue with the profile which is being adapted at this very moment. It can be fixed, but probably not worth the effort, as artoo is switching to elogind and will be dropping consolekit.

Thanks, same output with the getent commands after chrooting into the lxqt and kde systems, so as you suggest best to wait until elogind switcheroo is complete, then re-install to test.

I just installed xfce systemd on a Dell Optiplex 3020. I plan on using it as my family pc. I need to redo one of my laptops but I wnat to be Openrc so I will wait on it. I had it on unstable and stupid me I updated it even though I knew I wasn’t supposed to so it won’t boot at all. Oh well Reading is fundamental. :disappointed::grimacing:

Just pushed out new -dev packages of the current git situation:
manjaro-architect-dev-0.8.0.r85.gb369839 plus
manjaro-architect-dev-launcher-0.8.0.r85.gb369839

Latest fixes, additions and changes include:

• keymap selection now happens immediately at the beginning, together with language selection.
    Like that we have one less menu entry in ‘prepare’ section and your keyboard (aswell as a matching font for your selected language) is configured correctly right from the start, also in a live session.
  • drivers installation logistics is still not 100% what it will be I think, but in any case network drivers menu needed a fix in regards of being able to select multiple entries (LAN plus wireless …)
  • We played around a little with error handling during package installation. So abortion or failure should now work and be handled properly.
  • some more polishing of dialogs and feedback - also in German :wink:
  • Cancel action of UEFI /boot mount needed a fix
  • filtering already mounted devices was fixed
  • under the hood we have now started to integrate a cool feature proposed and supplied by @papajoke: system and user choice information can now be collected and reused with an ini file. This has great potential for the future, like what we have already been discussing, collecting all information before applying all the needed action in the best logical order at the end.
    Or also even: provide the installer with a configuration file to (re)produce a certain chain of action/apply a predefined set of configuration - really exciting!

Have fun with more testing!
If all goes well we might point-release a 0.8.1 stable package very soon.
Today I bravely installed a Manjaro-Deepin system on a spare partition of my production laptop and all went well, yeah! :wink: - well, the Deepin desktop is terribly buggy these days, but that’s certainly not the installer’s fault :laughing:

[experimental] Manjaro-Architect Test-ISO

Tried yesterday an i3 installation with OpenRC in a vbox, changed the branch in the pacman-mirrors.conf into stable. Everything went well, very neat project!

Two hours ago I did a new install on a Centrino Duo Laptop.
(not the last version that was released 45 min ago…)

Installed kernel 4.8 (this is the last one I can use on this laptop)
Installed OpenRC
Installed Mate
Installed wingo (tiling window manager)
Installed conky

All is good.

Awesome work guys/gals :slight_smile:

Not sure what’s going on there @sueridgepipe. I just made a testinstall lxqt, which includes sddm of course and it is working fine. No issues … hm.
I used Manjaro profile straight forward install in vbox.
@Chrysostomus I like the automatic network driver install in the background and video-driver selection at the end very much!

For the advanced menu we could refine the manual network menu function further by adding free/nonfree options.

done. :slight_smile:

I’ll try again tonight @oberon, is this a case unstable repo being a bit of an openrc moving target currently?

Are you using latest dev or git?

dev-0.8.0.r105.g9a30cea is as new as it gets :wink:
I don’t really know if there was more movement today with openrc packages, but didn’t pay too much attention to that. We shall see!

$ pacman -Qi manjaro-architect-dev
Name            : manjaro-architect-dev
Version         : 0.8.0.r105.g9a30cea-1

Nope.

Starts off okay, login prompt briefly flashes, then boot freezes.

Last week it worked, this week it doesn’t.

EDIT :

Only boot, freeze, followed by tty2 login and manual cli reboot.

$ sudo mount /dev/sdb15 /manjaro
$ sudo cat  /manjaro/var/log/auth.log

Mar 15 16:00:43 localhost polkitd[1511]: Loading rules from directory /etc/polkit-1/rules.d
Mar 15 16:00:43 localhost polkitd[1511]: Loading rules from directory /usr/share/polkit-1/rules.d
Mar 15 16:00:44 localhost polkitd[1511]: Finished loading, compiling and executing 6 rules
Mar 15 16:00:44 localhost polkitd[1511]: Acquired the name org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1 on the system bus
Mar 15 16:00:47 localhost sddm-helper[1730]: PAM unable to dlopen(/usr/lib/security/pam_systemd.so): /usr/lib/security/pam_systemd.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Mar 15 16:00:47 localhost sddm-helper[1730]: PAM adding faulty module: /usr/lib/security/pam_systemd.so
Mar 15 16:00:47 localhost sddm-helper[1730]: pam_unix(sddm-greeter:session): session opened for user sddm by (uid=0)
Mar 15 16:00:51 localhost sddm-helper[1730]: pam_unix(sddm-greeter:session): session closed for user sddm
Mar 15 16:04:43 localhost login[1715]: pam_unix(login:session): session opened for user manjaro by LOGIN(uid=0)
Mar 15 16:04:43 localhost login[1715]: LOGIN ON tty2 BY manjaro
Mar 15 16:05:13 localhost sudo[1787]:  manjaro : TTY=tty2 ; PWD=/var/log ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/cat auth.log
Mar 15 16:05:13 localhost sudo[1787]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by manjaro(uid=0)
Mar 15 16:05:13 localhost sudo[1787]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
Mar 15 16:05:48 localhost sudo[1790]:  manjaro : TTY=tty2 ; PWD=/var/log ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/reboot
Mar 15 16:05:48 localhost sudo[1790]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by manjaro(uid=0)
Mar 15 16:05:48 localhost sudo[1790]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
Mar 15 16:05:48 localhost login[1715]: pam_unix(login:session): session closed for user manjaro

Trying to use a systemd service, which is obviously failing.

Mar 15 16:00:47 localhost sddm-helper[1730]: PAM unable to dlopen(/usr/lib/security/pam_systemd.so): /usr/lib/security/pam_systemd.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Mar 15 16:00:47 localhost sddm-helper[1730]: PAM adding faulty module: /usr/lib/security/pam_systemd.so

I wonder if it could be related to the mhwd changes for libglnvnd that have occurred over the past week?

Couple of errors during LxQt install and display driver install.

(241/445) installing xdg-user-dirs
/tmp/alpm_lFqi2c/.INSTALL: line 3: systemctl: command not found
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Updating the desktop file MIME type cache...
xorg configuration file: '/etc/X11/mhwd.d/intel.conf'
/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee/MHWDCONFIG: line 96: systemctl: command not found
/var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee/MHWDCONFIG: line 97: systemctl: command not found

My host system is systemd, is this statement checking my host system and not the installed openrc system in /mnt? Or is the if statement condition wrong?

if [[ -d /run/openrc ]];then
        rc-update add bumblebee default
        rc-service bumblebee start
    else
        systemctl enable bumblebeed.service
        systemctl start bumblebeed.service
    fi

Trying to add the bumblebee service manually by chrooting into this system after install completes doesn’t work either.

$ sudo rc-update add bumblebee default
 * rc-update: service `bumblebee' does not exist

Manually removing and installing this hybrid nvidia bumblebee driver gets the same errors, trying to use systemctl to enable and start service.

Don’t know enough about openrc to do any more, hopefully others that do can diagnose.

Bottom line is lxqt openrc system, installed from a systemd host system, doesn’t boot.

I got a similar problem with cups cause cups-openrc wasn’t installed. Maybe that you are in a similar situation and you have to install bumblebee-openrc to activate the service.
I haven’t nvidia graphic card to test it, sorry :slight_smile:

I installed KDE-openrc-LUKS-btrfs without problems, ok, despite cups-openrc not installed and the encrypt hooks not present in mkinitcpio.conf. Both added manually :slight_smile:

Mysterious… Maybe the chroot is using /run directory of host system, because the target system is not booted? Yep, I’m pretty sure it’s like that… If openrc is checked with something in /run, the check never notices openrc in chroot

Weird thing is openrc installs were working on my bare metal test system last week, now they don’t. Something has changed to cause issue on my hardware, probably in unstable repos.