Manjaro-architect 0.8

Or, eventually bring syslinux back as planned

Yep, it will be nice for windows free machines (even with these UEFI times coming…!)
Anyway it’s really easy to install it after ! (& keep a grub save back via dd of mbr)

The difficulty lies in setting up encryption and lvm with it automatically. The original architect installer had this, but it had only 3 kernels to deal with, while we have 7+ changing ones.

Since my very warm, for this project and that I installed through this program, Manjaro-Architect on several computers. That in my opinion gained a few more users after making the option openrc available as a choice in the system init. I’m a little disillusioned, just with a situation, for some older / weaker computers, there is only the option to choose lxde in the advanced option.
I know that the future passes through lxqt, but I have recently updated some packages from lxde, and despite having newer computers, I like to install lxde, I prefer gtk than kde or, in this case, qt. Some friends and family that installed the lxde due to hardware limitations, after all configured, mainly aesthetically, remains a good option. Just a fix on my part, it’s not a criticism. For my part, Arch user of 2 years, with the option OpenRC, gained another user, and with me some more will come to this family Manjaro, that continues to grow.

For sure, i use syslinux but not these (luks) stuff !
Btw, nice tool again for a minimal graphic install (with some personal tweaks) !

For LXDE install i3, bspwm and then easily with
sudo pacman -S --needed lxde
Or
sudo pacman -S --needed lxde-gtk3
The first group shsres mich with i3, the second with bspwm.

I found a branch of aif that had btrfs subvolume support implemented. I experimented in merging it into my local branch.

It creates subvolumes just fine, but it doesn’t seem to mount any subvolumes besides the root subvolume. Also, it seems to use the old recursive structure, so merging it would be problematic.

All in all, I can possibly use some of its ideas for the btrfs subvolume creation, but I still probably need to write the basic solution on my own.

The idea I have for subvolumes is following:

In “mount partitions” menu, if user chooses to format partition in btrfs or mounts btrfs partition without formatting it, start btrfs subvolume creation loop.

Repeat the loop until user chooses “no”. List all subvolumes for that btrfs volume and ask the name for the next subvolume.

Once user stops making subvolumes, ask mountpoints for all those subvolumes one at a time.

Then proceed the mounting process as usual.

I know, but I like an option to choose lxde, as with desktop enviroment. To install only the lxde.

I tested bspwm openrc. It is finally usable! I also discovered that there is still something off with groups or something, because nmtui and poweroff require root access.

EDIT: nope, groups are right. openrc just expects nmtui to be run with dbus-launch and does not want to handle power without root.

@Chrysostomus, I’m using m-a “intensively”, for my installation and also to install PCs of other people: its amazing and very useful!

I send you some considerations and I hope that them can be interesting :slight_smile:

I’m using both the m-a iso and a dedicated manjaro installation with m-a on board; in my opinion the second is the best choice…

M-A ISO

1. also if I change pcman-mirrors.conf every time it restart with the previous configuration: very annoying. The default mirrors are slow

2. if I repeat the installation, with the same M-A ISO USB, every time it download everything: no cache

3. When I use m-a without redefine the destination HD partition schema from the scratch, but mounting existing partitions, without formatting them, I get an Error [255] (I posted the screenshot previously) and no way to install. It happen before to install the “base package”. I don’t know why and till now I wasn’t able to find a trace to follow it, by now, but I continue to test.

3bis) If I repeat the mounting process, the installation go ahead, but it isn’t t done on the target HD, but… somewhere else.

1. M-A ISO is great cause you don’t need to take with you a PC, but a simple USB Key. Shall be a lot more usable, IMO, if it was possible to get the previous functionalities pre-configured :slight_smile:

M-A DEDICATED Standard Manjaro installation

1. I can configure the M-A pacman-mirrors and other .conf file as I prefer: very very comfortable

2. When I repeat an installation on a different device, m-a download ONLY the deltas: another very useful functionality

3. The “Error: [255]” is always present and with the same destination device the behaviour is the same.

I use btrfs and I like how you are thinking to implement the subvolume.

Usually I use encrypted partition (luks). I must try to use different encryption level (root, home) for people that want a similar approach and don’t like to use btrfs or lvm (I’ll send you a feedback) People sometime is strange…

Great work! In my opinion the best installer in the Linux environment and not only!

Given how SSDs are becoming more prevalent, could you consider including F2FS as a possible formatting option? The Arch wiki has some details: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/F2FS

It used to be included, but it did not work in my tests, so I dropped it until such time that I can get it working properly. Currently it is on to do list after btrfs subvolumes. So not coming soon, but eventually. If you wish to expedite the process, you are welcome to contribute. It would be awesome.

Not sure F2FS was designed for modern SSDs.

Just about everything F2FS was designed to fix was built in memory in phones and tablets.

Modern SSDs don’t give you that level of micro-management any more, as it is all built into the hardware by the guys who designed the SSDs and had all the access to the real low level specifications and capabilities.

F2FS solves OLD problems. Its not needed in the NEW products.

Oh! So you’re saying that I’m probably better off using ext4 with periodic TRIMs ?

If memory serves, @badbodh may have mentioned at some time that he uses f2fs for performance gains. I may have mixed the person though. But he might have knowledge on their relative performance. I think f2fs has performed quite well on phronix tests.

If I’m not mistaken, f2fs is no journaling filesystem, so if you want ext alternative to it, you can disable journaling for performance gains on ext4 with the mount option journal=writeback. This has the obvious drawback of not having a journal, but I don’t think it is much less safe than f2fs.

According to this Wikipedia article it is a journaling fs.

Quote from there

UDF, LFS, and NILFS are log-structured file systems and behave as if the entire file system were a journal.

F2FS is log structured, too, but the subnote forgets to mention it, although it refers to it. And the log fulfils what a journal is supoposed to achieve.

Hi all,

What is the main language of this tool? Is it bash?

Thanks

Yes, it is a collection of bash scripts.

Amazing, congratulations!