Manjaro Application Talk

Manjaro Application Talk

It seems quite a few users are having difficulties with the possible available applications within the different editions of Manjaro.

The full-blowin official editions strive to be the edition of users, new as well as seasoned, who do not want to bother much - just want to get the work done.

So this is a post on the topic of Applications.

What is an application

An application is a complex collection of human readable code converted to binary instructions for a computer to understand and execute.

It is commonly referred to as software as compared to hardware which is the physical system.

Software is an intellectual property which the author may choose to share or keep to self.

Free vs. Freedom

We often hear the word Free in connection with software.

However there is a fundamental difference between Free as in Free Beer and Freedom as in Open Source.

The Free version is the author making the compiled source available for you to use without paying any fees. The Freedom version is were the source code is available for you to modify and change provided you follow the authors license.

Paid vs. Free

As already mentioned the code base of software is the authors intellectual property which the author may share publicly under a certain license.

If an author or a company choose not to share the source it does not make the author bad person nor making the software unusable.

We already know that Free versions can be used without payment. If the author have worked hard on special features of the application the author may choose to make those features available as a Paid version.

This does not make it bad software - just make it more usable in other scenarios - and you can choose what version you need.

Is Paid worse than Free

In the GNU/Linux world we have grown so accustomed to Free software that the mere thought of supporting the author or company disgusts us.

We tend to forget that some of the greatest professional software has trial versions or some even community versions and some has software relying on the end user to be honest of how they use the software.

Paid / Free software examples

Not all of the products mentioned here is open source but that does not make those less usable or less desirable.

Remember - when you spend money on the software - you support the developers and encourage them to continue.

Stackedit

The number one app to work with mark down documents in your browser.

The author have chosen to make export features available to supporters only. But that does not make it crippled in any way.

SmartGit

SmartGit is a fantastic Git frontend which you can download and use for free - if you only use it for Open Source projects. But that is to the concience of the user - so if you are a commercial developer you can steal their hard work or you can choose to pay - and Syntevo are reasonable.

When I did commercial work - I did pay for the software.

JetBrains

An incredible software company with the best of breed development applications tailored to specific areas. Some of their applications is community versions which lack certain functionality related to their licensed counterparts.

They even offer - free of charge - EAP versions, unlicensed - expires often - but no problems in continued use.

When you learn those environments you don't want to go back. They are the best in class.

It is so good that even I do very little paid work I have a subscription for their toolbox.

Sublime HQ

Many of you know Sublime Text - an out of class code editor.

You can use one of the versions unlimited - occational nags on register - but when you learn to appreciate the sublime functions - you buy in.

I did several years ago - and the license is still valid - no questions asked. When v4 comes out eventually - I have to support them for the upgrade.

Sublime HQ has come up with a new project - Sublime Merge. This a GIT client which makes GIT sublime.

It is an incredible tool - just try it - I did and bought in - just to support the further development.

FreeOffice

Free Office offers both as Free as in Free Beer version and an extended version payable version with commercially developed dictionaries instead of open source and an extended feature set.

Bread on the table

Again I want to point out - developers need to eat, they need to pay rent, they need to provide for families, childrens educations, home computers, phones you name it.

How many projects have you seen relying on voluntary donation support?

Do you think they are making a lot of money?

You are right - they don't.

Please remember that the next time you complain on small projects asking you to support them by paying a small fee for using their product.

13 Likes