Manjaro 21.1 Pahvo Release is near

Can you put a screenshot here? I have a horizontal line glitch last year and it disappeared
by update

Sorry, but I forgot to take a screenshot and now I donā€™t have any of it on either computer. It was just a vertical line in typical Manjaro green, about 2 px wide.

@Manjaro Team: As I do the installation manually, I donā€™t know what is the default filesystem choosen by Manjaro ? Each time, I choose Ext4 as file system but I donā€™t know if it is the best choice. So, In your opinion, what is the best current file system for Manjaro installation ?

ext4 was the default for 10 years. Currently we explore to make btrfs default with 21.1rc3 ISOs ā€¦

8 Likes

I have the same problem with btrfs on Manjaro as I had earlier with Arch: As long as I only want to boot the latest kernel, everything is fine. However, if I want to go back to the last LTS kernel and therefore set the value in the grub configuration to

GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true

in addition to

GRUB_DEFAULT=saved

to boot with the last selected kernel at every startup, there is first an error message or prompt, then after timeout it boots again with the current kernel. The reason, I found out at the time with Arch, is that Grub can not be processed on a vfat partition (boot/efi). The only remedy was to create a separate boot partition in ext4. The way the automatic installation is set up with btrfs, there is no boot partition. If I have to select the kernel manually every time I boot, it is worthless for me. How else can the problem be solved? I would like to switch to btrfs, was looking forward to Manjaro supporting it better now.

Hmm, why change it to the default ? I mean sure you can simply choose ext4 instead of btrfs but it seems like this file system as more prerequisites than ext4 (larger disk space, increased knowledge about snapshot, etc.) to be worth it. So I was wondering, shouldnā€™t the default option not be the ā€œeasietā€ aka ext4 even if this one is aging (well for now it seems) ?

Yesā€¦Bring zfs to the massesā€¦it is the best. Licensing issues shouldnā€™t prevent this amazing file system from being used.
Btrfs is also good but zfs is farrrr ahead.

Main issue with this is that thereā€™s times where OpenZFS does not work with the latest kernel, having this as the root filesystem could introduce quite a bit of issues. Best to stick to filesystems that are officially supported by the kernel.

This is coming as someone who uses ZFS exclusively on my servers.

1 Like

Definitely see potential issues with ZFS as the system partition (hence the wisdom of using a native, non-litigious-Oracle-around-the-horizon filesystem such as XFS, Ext4, or Btrfs).

However, I donā€™t see as much of an issue using this for the user(s) home, and definitely not an issue using it as an exclusive storage bay of sorts on a separate internal or external drive (or array). A rule of thumb is if youā€™re seriously considering OpenZFS, stick to the LTS kernels and resist the temptation to use the ā€œlatestā€ kernel.

OpenZFS on Linux is very robust and stable now that even iXsystems is switching over to a Linux-based solution for their TrueNAS SCALE releases. (Their flagship product is currently FreeBSD-based, but their development has shifted towards SCALE and Linux-based.)

3 Likes

Is there any estimated date for the final release?

1 Like

Issue that I have found:
While selecting BTRFS with swap to file. I get only 500MB of Swap File and I have 8 GB Of RAM. This issue was easily bypassed with ext4 by manually creating a swap file, but with btrfs swap file creation becomes tough. Can we please have a selection for ourselves that how much swap we need in calaremes?

Also:
Can We expect something in Secure Boot Section for manjaro as with comming of Windows 11, Secure boot will be necessary. Two tools that I found were sb-update and sbctl.

Hi guys,

I found two interesting articles about the file systems:

See it and it.

2 Likes

We will still default to ext4 but offer btrfs and other filesystems ā€¦

10 Likes

I welcome that very much and hope that you will keep it up.

1 Like

What about pop-shell?

Ubuntu will ship Gnome 40 with 21.10 update.

As Pop OS is Ubuntu based, I guess it will too. So they will update pop-shell some time before October.

@philm: When is the release date planned ? The title of the subject say ā€œRelease is nearā€.

Thanks.

A new set of ISOs can be found here:

2 Likes

Thank You sirā€¦
Is it ok to install on laptopā€¦(my main system)???

Well, it depends on the Edition. Plasma Edition has some theme issues it seems with this build.