Manjaro 21.1.2 Pahvo released!

Changelog

• TBD
2 Likes

Can someone remove the test files here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/manjarolinux/files/xfce/

?

Meanwhile, the push to move Plasma in its entirety to Wayland (the display protocol of the future) continues in full swing. By using Wayland behind the scenes, Plasma is able to include features and bug fixes not possible to implement on X11, offering you a better experience and more stability.

When I check my system info (21.1.2), I see the graphics platform is still X11. Is that what you mean by “Wayland behind the scenes”? I see other distros offering X11 and Wayland as two different ways to use KDE on the login screen. Is there any plans for Manjaro to do the same? Thank you!

2 Likes

You can use Wayland in Manjaro KDE as is. most of the stuff its needs is already installed, you just need to install plasma-wayland-session, then you should be able to switch to wayland in SDDM.
If you google how-to-use-wayland-in-manjaro-kde it should come up with the help articel I got this info from.

5 Likes

Small bug in Manjaro 21.1.2 installer:
I have Windows 10 21H1 x64 on my computer and i use the EFI partition of this OS.

I am using manual partitioning.
I mount the EFI parition and the installer writes the output “partition sdx formatted”.

P.S. the bug with setting the mount point to /boot exists.

Works just fine

Installed the package:

cat /var/log/pacman.log
[2021-09-06T13:37:31+0300] [ALPM] transaction started
[2021-09-06T13:37:31+0300] [ALPM] installed xorg-xwayland (21.1.2-1)
[2021-09-06T13:37:31+0300] [ALPM] installed plasma-wayland-session (5.22.5-1)
[2021-09-06T13:37:31+0300] [ALPM] transaction completed

Other package is required by target package:

$ pacman -Qi xorg-xwayland | grep -i required
Required By     : plasma-wayland-session

Restart.

SSDM: select wayland session type in the left bottom edge. Ready.
Enter user session.
Check:

$ kinfocenter about-distro

shows

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.22.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.85.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.14.1-2-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland
$ loginctl

get the SESSION ID for your user, now paste it:

$  loginctl show-session 2 | grep -i type
Type=wayland
$ echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE                                                                                                                                               
wayland

Got some changes in some system settings, e.g. mouse settings, progress-bar view changed, etc.

Probably that method needs to be added into a FAQ.

2 Likes

I did a clean installation of 21.1.2 KDE and I’m more than impressed. Excellent performance, great looks and the bug in the fade windowing animation is finally corrected. Have you thought about a paid Pro edition like Zorin? You definitely deserve it!

Did you reinstall or activate Wayland yourself? If not, it’s normal that your system is still on X11 because that’s the way it was installed.
If I were you, I’d wait for another 6 months before activating Wayland and let someone else sort out the bugs, unless you like that kind of thing.

:grin:

3 Likes

I think an even better approach that would be embraced by the community (since it’s already popular in the gaming world) is for Manjaro to be freemium, but with micro-transactions to unlock certain apps and fetures.

Say you have an SSD and want to enable the fstrim.timer? 5€ EU (6$ USD)

Want to unlock the bookmarks feature in Chromium browser? 2€ EU (3$ USD)

Out of the box, Manjaro comes with a light, dark, and high-contrast desktop theme. For an additional one-time fee, you can purchase bundle packs that provide extra icon themes, desktop themes, wallpapers, and the option to remove the Manjaro watermark from the bottom-right corner of your screen.

All usage information, web tracking, location, shopping history, etc, is periodically sent to Manjaro GmbH & Co. KG. However, for only 10€ (12$ USB) per month, you can unlock Manjaro Privacy Edition™ which will give you the option to opt out of uploading your info.

2 Likes

Your suggestions are valid. I believe that thousands of users are willing to pay for an annual subscription of 50-60 euros to help Manjaro improve its quality. Moreover, is there really a need for all those desktop environments? I think they’re a waste of time and energy, especially in a rolling release who constantly needs both. I guess either Plasma or Gnome would be enough (sorry Xfce!).

Manjaro Linux has always and will always be free for its users!*

There is a option to support manjaro financially: donate to the project. One of the goals is to improve the quality.

6 Likes

I think too !
Xfce should be in the Community Edition

1 Like

The XFCE edition too great to be in the community editions! It is great for low end machines and it turns moderate spec machines into beasts! And probably it is the one DE with which Manjaro was launched.:relieved:

For me, Xfce stands for the eternal yesterday, the not being able to let go.

KDE has shown that it is more than worthy of being a flagship and it runs very satisfactorily on old boxes now. My computer is now 10 years old and runs with Plasma …

I am currently considering switching from Arch back to Manjaro.

2 Likes

(Desktop was different previously, but now after a reboot, nothing but Black and Mouse.

I can do an CTRL-ALT-F3 and log in, but I have no idea how to fix it.
Suggestions please?

I switched to a different kernel and all GUI booted.
5.13.13-1 gave a Black screen with moving mouse pointer only.

Switched to 5.10.61-1 and GUI booted.

Hope that helps others.

2 Likes

POST-EDIT:
May be a kernel re-installation procedure triggers some actions of re-generate something and fixes something? Low possibility, but what if it is true?

May be you have a time to try to clear your app cache and to try to install the 5.13 kernel again, please?
Please use the same way to install 5.13 as you used for 5.10 installation.

Also your

inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width

can be interesting.

Thanks!

Did you checked journalctl -p3 and journalctl -p4 of that unsuccessful boot (-b <number> can be used for it)?

1 Like

Too late Alven! LTS kernel is what I would have advised, but Zeddock found it himself already!

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

No! Not really; it contains different open source display drivers so that’s a standard solution to black screens

:grin:

1 Like

any information about recent release version 21.1.3?

1 Like

:point_up_2: