Manjaro 2008 Mac book Pro

Hello everyone, I am new to Manjaro this year and have it on a few machines. I have a 2008 Mac book Pro I am having issues getting Manjaro to install. I tried several versions and the 17.01 will boot after the grub menu selecting non free. I see the system loading and I get to a blinking curser. I can hit fn ctrl f2 and the TTY2 window appears to log into Manjaro. I tried running startx but get errors and cannot get a desktop. I am not familiar with grub, or how to change boot settings. I read this has to do with the graphics card but can’t find step by step instruction on what to do. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Which are what?

Not sure what hardware that has. Please post the output of inxi -Fxxxz.

Blinking cursor on older MacBook Pros probably means that you have dual graphics and linux doesn’t know how to handle this. What is the model? Early , Mid, Late 2008?

Try reading this: [SOLVED] Problem Installing Manjaro on MacBook Pro

That is what I read, but as I said i am an average Linux user just not too familiar with cfgs or parameters. I will try to run inxi but unfortunately right now I do not have a charger for the mac yet I was using battery power as I got this out of recycle. I’ll read what you posted and also post back the details of inxi. I think I read that post but just am unsure how to go about what it’s telling me to do.

You pretty much just have to add this below the setparams section:

load_video
set gfxpayload=keep

outb 0x728 1
outb 0x710 2
outb 0x740 2
outb 0x750 0

What part of the params within the ’ ’ at the end and those zeroes? Like do I press e on boot Manjaro and add that and hit f10?

Yes, you place it top or bottom of the # commented words.

Can you post a screen shot as an example in grub using a camera maybe? Like press e on install grub then write in what I need to change and I can type it in with correct spacing