Manjaro 20.2 update?

Hello I have got Manjaro 20 installed on my Acer Aspire laptop and I see 20.2 has been released,I did an update today but do I need to do anything about getting 20.2 please?
Thank you.

Hello,

If you installed the latest stable updates then you are already on 20.2 … Doesn’t show that in Manjaro Hello?

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

As @bogdancovaciu said, if you keep your system up-to-date and you applied the most recent updates, then you already are on the latest release, because those release numbers are only snapshot indicators. They exist only because of the Manjaro install images, which are being kept up-to-date by the team.

Commonly, the install images run a little behind on the actual installed-and-updated systems; not because of the software versions, but because of the decision-making process regarding what to put in the next install images by default and what not.

So when the team announces that ─ for instance ─ “20.2 Nibia has been released”, then what this means is that the 20.2 install images have been officially released. But at that point in time, everyone who kept their system up-to-date is already on the latest release. After all, Manjaro has a rolling-release development model. :wink:

4 Likes

lsb_release -a in combination with checkupdates will indicate the system is current.

The checkupdates man pages say it returns an exit status of 0, 1, 2. For “No updates are available” or 2, echo $? to verify.

On 2020/11/10, I did an update. lsb_release -a showed “Mikah/20.1.2”. After the update it showed “Nibia/20.2”. I’ve done two updates since 11/10.

I believe both pamac and pacman write to the same log. pamac history can also be viewed from pamac Menu > View History.

More details:
grep -E -e '(full system|manjaro-release)' /var/log/pacman.log:

1 Like

Thank you very much.

I just did pacman -Syu…

Summary

~ >>> sudo pacman -Syu
:: Synchronising package databases…
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade…
warning: archlinux-keyring: local (20201028-1) is newer than core (20200820-1)
warning: binutils: local (2.35.1-1) is newer than core (2.35-2)
warning: bison: local (3.7.2-1) is newer than core (3.6.4-1)
warning: cmake: local (3.19.1-1) is newer than extra (3.18.3-1)
warning: conky: local (1.11.6-1) is newer than extra (1.11.5+2+g0d449029-2)
warning: fakeroot: local (1.25.3-1) is newer than core (1.24-2)
warning: firefox: local (81.0.2-1) is newer than extra (81.0-2)
warning: gcc: local (10.2.0-3) is newer than core (10.2.0-2)
warning: gcc-libs: local (10.2.0-3) is newer than core (10.2.0-2)
warning: glibmm: local (2.64.4-1) is newer than extra (2.64.2-1)
warning: grep: local (3.6-1) is newer than core (3.4-1)
warning: jsoncpp: local (1.9.4-1) is newer than extra (1.9.3-1)
warning: libsigc++: local (2.10.6-1) is newer than extra (2.10.3-1)
warning: libxnvctrl: local (455.45.01-1) is newer than extra (455.23.04-1)
warning: linux-firmware: local (20201005.r1732.58d41d0-1) is newer than core (20200923.r1716.afbfb5f-1)
warning: linux58: local (5.8.16-2) is newer than core (5.8.11-1)
warning: lua: local (5.4.1-1) is newer than extra (5.4.0-2)
warning: manjaro-keyring: local (20201030-1) is newer than core (20200603-1)
warning: manjaro-release: local (20.1.2-1) is newer than core (20.1.1-1)
warning: manjaro-system: local (20201014-1) is newer than core (20200906-1)
warning: mhwd-db: local (0.6.5-4) is newer than core (0.6.4-12)
warning: mhwd-nvidia-450xx: local (450.80.02-1) is newer than core (450.66-1)
warning: pacman: local (5.2.2-3) is newer than core (5.2.2-2)
warning: pamac-cli: local (9.5.12-1) is newer than extra (9.5.10-2)
warning: pamac-common: local (9.5.12-1) is newer than extra (9.5.10-2)
warning: pamac-flatpak-plugin: local (9.5.12-1) is newer than extra (9.5.10-2)
warning: pamac-gtk: local (9.5.12-1) is newer than extra (9.5.10-2)
warning: pamac-snap-plugin: local (9.5.12-1) is newer than extra (9.5.10-2)
warning: python-beautifulsoup4: local (4.9.3-1) is newer than community (4.9.1-1)
warning: python-httplib2: local (0.18.1-2) is newer than community (0.18.1-1)
warning: python-lxml: local (4.6.1-1) is newer than extra (4.5.2-1)
warning: yay: local (10.1.1-1) is newer than community (10.0.4-1)
there is nothing to do
~ >>>

So I’m on Mikah and not upgraded to 20.2… why?

Update: It seems Thai mirrors are 1400 hours behind - changed mirrors and running update now.

I was getting the same “is newer than core” warning for openvpn, which I downgraded.
If you get the error “fakeroot not found,” install it with pacman -S base-devel

$ lsb_release -a
LSB Version: n/a
Distributor ID: Manjaro-ARM
Description: Manjaro ARM Linux
Release: 20.10
Codename: n/a

$ sudo pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases…
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade…
there is nothing to do

I have already run pacman-mirrors -f 0

$ checkupdates
$ echo $?

Edit: The purpose of my post was to share some points I learned which are common to this thread. fakeroot, needed for some of the examples, is not installed by default. Quite a few 'net sources identify an out-of-date mirror list as the cause for not upgrading. One site even provides help for manually creating and replacing the mirror list, so I thought I would just point out the pacman-mirrors utility as a better choice. Do see @stargazer post which has far more complete information about pacman-mirrors. Finally, illustrated by example but not stated is the fact that my check for upgrades shows NIba goodness is not yet available for the ARM community.

1 Like

@dbeach, @Ben, I noticed your command was just pacman -Syu. I have found the most success with doing pacman -Syyu. This is normally executed after any command that changes “/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist”, like pacman-mirrors --fasttrack, or pacman-mirrors --country or pacman-mirrors --geoip. There is a systemd timer to reorder the mirrorlist, so if this is running -Syyu is always necessary.

Commands

# Create your custom mirror list
pacman-mirrors --geoip

# Reorder custom mirror list (input: custom mirrors; output: /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist)
pacman-mirrors --fasttrack

# Check last sync/status of mirrors (same as web page)
pacman-mirrors --status

# Update sync database whether it needs it or not
pacman -Syyu

# List systemd timers (unit = pamac-mirrorlist.timer)
systemctl list-timers

First a user creates a custom mirror list using options --country or --geoip. This will update the file “/var/lib/pacman-mirrors/custom-mirrors.json” and “/etc/pacman.d/mirrors”. The later file is used by pacman.

Speed isn’t the only issue, but are the mirrors still active and up-to-date. A user can check the status by visiting the web page or using the --status option.

I haven’t been a Manjaro user long enough to know how dynamic the mirror list is, but a good update starts with a good mirrorlist, which has to be maintained by the user.

Local, as in the pacman command output, is referring to what is installed on your system. It is located “/var/lib/pacman/local/”. Core, is part of the sync database, which is all distribution packages, and is located “/var/lib/pacman/sync/”.

Documentation

3 Likes

Yes, in the end I checked the mirror list - Thailand seems to have been left behind - I caught up now… it took me a while to think about the mirrors wondering why it would reload (I also did a downgrade, as many packages were ‘newer’ with Syuu).

I realised why the systemd timer didn’t pick up on my being some 1500 hours out of date on the Kasetsart university server - I just downloaded a new ISO to stick on the USB and do a fresh install - so now I have a 250G 860 EVO SSD for my system, and my older SanDisk 240GB is a secondary (mostly home folders /Downloads and more temporary TV folders) location further preserving my hard disks for more long term storage. Sad days, it was always very fast from many years ago running Ubuntu, then Mint… This sorted me out in the end:

sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack 10 && sudo pacman -Syyu

Gotta say, glad I went with the slightly more expensive EVO, Gimp seems to load up in about 2-3 seconds now - it’s freaky (random on my Sandisk was about 0.17, on the EVO it’s down to 0.4).

Thank you, my lesson learn is that sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack 10 need number 5/10, etc, not just sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Alias?
mirrors='sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack 10 && yay -Syyu && paccache -rvuk0'
Then for a big update, I go to TTY and do ‘mirrors && upgrade’ 'cos upgrade is another alias. So lazy :wink:

1 Like