Manjaro 18.1.4-rc1 is online now!

also, the order in which they are listed determines which one takes priority over the other, including them all would cause issues no? or at the very least attempt to load each of those when only 1 is sometimes needed.

I believe this ISO is based off the testing branch, so you would have to switch to stable branch then wait for the stable branch to catch up with the testing branch, but you should just install the latest stable iso and wait for the testing branch to come over to stable

1 Like

well it wont cause problems for intel and amd systems adding all these modules
as i have tested it.
don't know for nvidia.
it wont be problem for hybrid graphics laptops.
dont know how it will affect prime.
@dglt
you can test it by adding these modules in mkinicpio.conf and using optimus switch.
tell me the results.

amdgpu should take priority over radeon.
so radeon is last

they are used
and adding these modules dont do any harm or give error.
as all the drivers are in kernel and mesa.

only adding nvidia module gives error.

only nvidia module will give error for non nvidia system using free drivers
since its not in mesa or kernel.

I'm not sure ─ and I thought that the Arch Wiki was where I read it, but that does not appear to be the case ─ but I think it could be so that the filesystem would always be cleanly unmounted before the root filesystem is unmounted.

It might have something to do with Busybox, because once /usr is unmounted, /usr/bin/umount won't be available anymore for unmounting the root filesystem, and therefore the kernel would have to use Busybox to do it.

systemd is no longer available once /usr has been unmounted.

It's been awhile. Nope.

I think we Need to test This Update First on Community Editions (RC2) before we can forward this to stable ?

1 Like

We can work on some. However Manjaro doesn't use Plymouth by default. For what else is early KMS still needed?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel_mode_setting#Early_KMS_start

On our Manjaro hardware we simply display the UEFI Manufacturer Logo

its needed for bootsplash.
and having it is good.
for faster boot according to archwiki.

and not all pc have uefi logo
they just show blankscreen.
like my laptop.

Is it general needed for plymouth only or is it also useful for our built-in bootsplash feature? Also we should test the KMS hooks on some machines without loading those drivers at all. Like Nvidia based systems.

1 Like

it is needed for both bootsplash and plymouth.

You don't have to install again. Once ready, it will be pushed to stable and you will update as usual.

2 Likes

Why does Manjaro default to xf86-video-intel instead of modestting? I have visual flickers on 2 different laptops with xf86-video-intel. They both work perfectly with modesetting.

@ben81, some of the older Intel rigs need the Intel driver to work decently. (Older than my 4th Gen Haswell rig, anyway.) I do not believe Manjaro's hardware detection can distinguish the difference.

IIRC, @eugen-b and I discussed this 2-3 years back.

Even without the driver, Intel ucode & and KMS are still required. Early KMS is preferred. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel_mode_setting#Early_KMS_start

1 Like

Thanks for mentioning this topic again. My laptop has an Ivy Bridge (Gen 3) CPU and runs KDE wonderfully, but last time years ago when I tried to uninstall xf86-video-intel, I had a bit of excitement on reboot when there was no DE and I had to figure out how to re-install the GPU driver using TTY.

I wasn't sure at the time if the issue was something I did wrong or if modesetting was non-functional on my rig. This would make sense though if modesetting only works on Gen 4 Haswell and later.

1 Like

And I don't recall, factually, where the 'break' in generations is. Best do your own research. :smiley:

1 Like

Arch has this to say:

Note: Some (Debian & Ubuntu, Fedora, KDE) recommend not installing the xf86-video-intel driver, and instead falling back on the modesetting driver for Gen4 and newer GPUs (GMA 3000 from 2006 and newer). See [1], [2], Xorg#Installation, and modesetting(4). However, the modesetting driver can cause problems such as Chromium Issue 370022.

Which would seem to indicate the 'break' is at Gen4.

... I still probably agree that mhwd should either make separate entries to accommodate this difference, or probably begin to default to modesetting.

2 Likes

It would be ideal if mhwd could discriminate but, failing that, defaulting to modesetting might be best; i.e. the majority of Intel rigs in-use are Gen 4 or later (if that would be factual). That would preclude 'flickering' etc. for those folks.

Gen 3 and earlier would be left outstanding, but adding xf86-video-intel after the initial OS install is a quick fix.

And, hey, thanks for doing the homework. Sometimes I question my anecdotal memberries. :wink:

2 Likes

modesetting on skylake apu's is terrible and just barely useable. xf86-video-intel with the tearfree option however works perfectly. though on newer intel apu's i guess modesetting is the preferred option but also has no vulkan support IIRC.

1 Like

I get Vulkan support with modesetting.

Forum kindly sponsored by