Making windows cover KDE taskbar shadow

kde

Thanks @bogdancovaciu, that’s an interesting solution.

I had already set it to autohide @micsim35 but thanks for the answer anyway. It’s a small problem but it would really help with the overall look. In another forum the argument was made that the taskbar is over all other applications so it makes sense for the shadow to behave this way. Mac and Windows do this and it would look just a bit better. Thanks everyone… I’ve found my answer :joy:

yeah I’m aware of what you are trying to achieve and had tried the same myself. I had a 1280x800 laptop before so to begin with found 768 pixels too low until I auto-hid the panel. that of course got me back the missing pixels in my application windows.

maybe open a request upstream to add a the toggle for the panel shadow, you can toggle the shadow for application windows so it’s odd that you cannot currently for the panel

Hi All! I decided to try @jonathon 's solution and it actually worked perfectly and made my desktop look better… I edited the files
/usr/share/plasma/desktoptheme/[themename]/widgets/panel-background.svgz
&
/usr/share/plasma/desktoptheme/[themename]/dialogs/background.svgz
in Inkscape (after copying them to a backup folder first), selected all the shadows and hit delete…

(I also set the panel opacities to 60% if anyone wants to know.)

…Here’s a screenshot:

Thanks again, everyone!

PS: @micsim35 It would be nice to be toggle it indeed :slight_smile:

That was my solution, with a whole walkthrough … you just didnt try it :sob:

This is why created MacBreeze Shadowless theme. I guess I have to do dark counterpart. I like to have shadowless theme right from the box and not count on startup scripts.

Besides, latte has tweak called “hide panel shadow for maximized windows” which is also handy.

I’m so confused, haha!

Sorry! I’ve set the answer the answer to yours, now - thanks for the help :smiley:

Thanks @michaldybczak. I tried your theme and it looks very nice! I’m personally going to stick with the default Breath theme (I’m not picky - I just like it) as removing those shadows only needs to be done once and doesn’t need another startup script. Thanks, though!

I’ve also tried Latte, but I think it looks and works a lot better as a Mac-ish dock rather than a panel.

No worries. :wink:

Then you must have missed setting which transforms latte to a panel. Latte-panel is just like a regular panel but on steroids. It offers much more features, especially dynamic behavior of the background and colors dependent on the state of the window (maximized or not) and based on the background dominant lightness or darkness. Also if you have colored titlebar, panel can use that colors too. Of course you can make it static and look and work like the default panel but the point of it is that you can have more options to suit your needs.

Once you discover all the wonders of the latte-panel, you will see system panel as primitive, boring option, that has only one pro: it’s lightweight, so you can use it on systems with low RAM (2-4GB) so in such case forget about latte dock too. On newer, more powerful machines latte is a wonder that allow for intelligent, dynamic setups like on any other DE, especially when you add certain applets to that mix. Yeah, mac is inferior to Plasma with latte… because latte offers better dock and better panel plus normal behaving windows (minimize, close and all) with possible global menus, buttons, titles - all in panel, dynamically reacting.

Thanks for the read, @michaldybczak! :smile:

I should have clarified - I have already tried the panel option in Latte (why is it in the Advanced section??) but I prefer the look of the original panel. I don’t know what’s wrong with me :laughing: … I just prefer it!

I don’t understand. What look are you talking about? Latte panel looks EXACTLY the same. When it comes to look it doesn’t differ, at least by default. It only has more options so you can tweak it and change defaults (background, shadow, behavior, colors, etc.).

And no, it’s not in advanced section. It’s aside. Notice the buttons on the left side (dock/panel):

(You have ‘Advanced’ toggled on in the top right corner, there :wink:)

I totally understand what you mean, though I’m afraid I’ve just gotten a bit tired of tweaking and customising KDE (crazy, right :laughing:). A few months ago, I realised I was tweaking the OS more than actually using it, so I’ve returned back to basics and I’ve kind of stopped tweaking it. It’s still very cool, though!

PS: nice job on your desktop. It looks awesome!

The thing is, people new to Plasma want to get awesome results and try to tweak many things and this is too much at once. You need to give yourself time. Change just few things and then let yourself discover new things after a while when you feel comfortable with the basic things. Many features you may discover… after years… I’m using Plasma over 3 years and I’m still finding out cool, new things and then newbies come and want to know this all at once so yeah, being tired is a natural reaction. Tweaking is fun but it’s still overwhelming. If you are patient, you will love Plasma. If you want all the effects after few tweaks, Gnome will be more suitable but you will have to agree for Gnome limitations. On Plasma you can usually change anything but it’s not always easy or obvious to do so.

I’ve been using Plasma for two years and love it. Thanks for the advice but I’m not tired because I’m new to it, I’m not even ‘tired’ as I said, really, I just have other things to do and am focusing a bit more on using Bitwig Studio, Ableton Live and FL for projects on my course. I could sit here and customise it all year, I just need to get on with other things…

PS: Any chance of you telling me what KDE theme you’re using?

Kvantum theme: KvGlass
Aurorae theme: breezmite dark
Color theme: Breeze dark
Desktop theme: breeze Transparent Dark.
Icons theme: La Capitaine

When spring come I will switch to other, light set of themes :wink: .