Making manjaro use nonfree drivers by default

Is it the case that these drivers will continue to work post-5.9 kernel release? I believe I have read on one of the various news outlet sites that the NVIDIA driver is very likely to be facing issues in the near future due to changes to the kernel and a so-called “GPL condom”?

Most distros will find a way. Their maintainers / developers should understand the consequences of “banning” Nvidia users, shouldn’t they?

But, but… Are we seriously considering nouveau for GAMING??? Whether it’s Wayland or X, nouveau’s performance is a joke right? Why bother?

2 Likes

Tell that to nvidia so that wayland will work OK with it.

I’m not considering it, I’m just saying that nvidias lack of xwayland support makes it a bit of a blocker for wayland. Which is annoying, but has little bearing on free/nonfree conversation because of nouveau’s poor performance. I was going to mention it originally in my ppst, but I was tired.

2 Likes

This is a lie. It’s not better for AMD GPUs at all, because there is NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL between nonfree and free when using an AMD GPU. AGAIN: ONLY AFFECTS NVIDIA GPUs

No.

Thank you!

Boycott NVIDIA.

I may work on a draft for the GRUB settings today, maybe I can figure something out.

That would be nice. I would do it myself, but I’m a bit swamped right now.

Same, some IRL stuff for me, I’ll see if I can find some time in my “schedule”.

@Chrysostomus should I create a new sub menu for booting or should both options be part of the main menu?

Draft (CathookOS is the manjaro spin I maintain)

I could also add the “(recommended for NVIDIA GPUs)” part, but I feel like that will make people give bad advice like “don’t select the top option if you have AMD”. I want it to be clear that the first option is acceptable in almost all cases.

1 Like

I think this looks good.

boot with proprietary drivers
boot with open source drivers

I think that was good proposition. Clear, no doubt about the options.

3 Likes

Well I have a problem with that approach: This makes it seem like you ALWAYS get proprietary drivers if you select the top option, which is simply not true. If you can find a better way to word it, that’d be great. I’m not creative enough for this :slight_smile:

boot with proprietary drivers (if Nvidia GPU detected)
boot with open source drivers

I don’t know at some point without a small paragraph you can’t explain everything and every cases, the space is limited in this boot menu.

That’s too long, unfortunately, which is why I went for my current approach.

What about

Boot: Manjaro.x86_64 CathookOS allowing proprietary drivers
or
Boot: Manjaro.x86_64 CathookOS permitting proprietary drivers

If someone can think of another word that doesn’t make this sound so weird, that’d be great too.

@Chrysostomus what would you say? Is the draft ok or should I add something like this? The latter just feels more cluttered, but that’s a matter of opinion.

I think the iso name in the boot option is pleonastic. I think the best would be:

• Boot
  • Boot with only open source drivers

Or

• Boot allowing proprietary drivers
  • Boot with open source drivers only
1 Like

Default should always be the free drivers! We can add something for proprietary drivers. However we only ship Nvidia driver anyway.

So:

• Boot: OS
  • Boot: OS with proprietary Nvidia drivers
1 Like

Why? Ideological or practical reasons? If practical reasons, what concern has not been addressed in this thread yet?

Cos at some point we may drop proprietary drivers if not supported anymore and every vote we did the result was free drivers.

OK how about this: in case of hybrid Intel/Nvidia (AMD/Nvidia) graphics and free drivers option, DO NOT load nouveau or pass some options like modprobe.blacklist=nouveau? Or load it with nouveau.noaccel=1 so it will not lock up notebooks and noob users won’t be mad about it?