Additional commands when merging .pacnew files?

Are there other pacnew files, where we have to watch out and use additional commands after a file merge?

Sample:

/etc/mkinitcpio.conf you must run mkinitcpio -P

/etc/default/grub you must run update-grub

Thats just asking if any files need something ran after a change.
An example is … anything having to do with systemd units.
(if you , for example, edit a service then you must run systemctl daemon-reload)

If one uses dracut then they dont care about mkinitcpio, while you dont care that some form of dracut must be run for flags and other configurations to be applied.

My point is … there is no single list, its system dependent … if one were to try and create a list of all possible examples … it would be rather large.

1 Like

List local backup files:

expac -Q '%B'  # you can add specific package name(s) afterwards

But as @cscs noted, your question makes little sense - you have to do whatever xyz app requires you to do when you edit xyz-app.conf.

I think you may misunderstand me here, im looking for commands that are really really needed.

if im change pacnew systemd units i also can just a simple system restart and see the result after it, right? And your systemctl deamon-reload is only for people who dont want to make a system restart.

Im total lost here, what is dracut? And when i need it? How can i know i need to make adjustments to mkinitcpio instead of dracut?

Run for flags? I have no idea what that is…

I dont mind a long and large list, im actually looking for a list… i have maybe 10-15 pacnew files that i need to merge and i have no idea how to start… what i can just merge together without special commands (after the edit).

If i need this files or not doesnt matter to me at the first place right now.
Maybe for step 2 it would be usefull to know which pacnew files are irrelevant for my system anyways.

If my question makes little sense, how can i start then?

What does that command do?

Does it only shows me a list of pacnew files (overview)?

Why does this forum need over explaining every single thing, when there are already perfectly good wikis and manuals written?

man expac

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman/Pacnew_and_Pacsave

So you want a list of 5000(?) applications and how to restart/reload them? What if you try to understand first what .pacnew files are.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PKGBUILD#backup

I have no idea why you ask me this question… when i response already with this:

One command comes to mind if you are unsure: systemctl reboot xD

You simply have to look up case by case. If you do merges with a pacnew file, make sure you know what that file is and what you need to do. There is no general command, except for maybe the reboot I gave above. xD

Did… did you get 15 changes in one update?? Pacnew files should be dealt with asap!

I have had 3-4 in the last 6 months, got one yesterday for sshd, but 15??

There is no auto file merge without AI, but you should manually compare two files and decide which config-change should be approved.

Install a comparison tool meld
Run pacdiff to find all .pacnew, .pacsav files

$ sudo pacman -S meld
$ DIFFPROG=meld pacdiff -s

Yes, i know and i use meld already. I merged 3 pacnew files already, but i want to evade some others till i know the question how to handle them, befor i run blindly into issues.

My only question is right now, are there other files thats need special commands like this 2?

@zbe
Can you stop trolling with your smileys? Please just put me in your ignore list (i know you dont want to help anyways… i saw your behaviour in all kinds of topics last few days… just stop this childish behavior please.

Edit:
I think every Forum needs a Troll and Manjaro Forum got you. :slight_smile:

I do not think, the other config files require special commands to apply their config files except initramfs config (mkinitcpio or dracut) and bootloader config (grub, systemd-boot …).

Just reboot to apply these config files after many merging files.

1 Like

Okay, but what are this commands for dracut, initramfs and systemd-boot?

You do not need to run commands, if you did not install the package dracut and did not enable systemd-boot. You use mkinitcptio and grub.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.