Make second internal SSD usable

Hi everyone,
in my system there are two SSDs, one on which Manjaro is installed, and one that is intended to be used mainly for data storage:

$ lsblk
NAME        MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
nvme0n1     259:0    0 465,8G  0 disk 
├─nvme0n1p1 259:1    0   300M  0 part /boot/efi
└─nvme0n1p2 259:2    0 465,5G  0 part /
nvme1n1     259:3    0   1,8T  0 disk 
└─nvme1n1p1 259:4    0   1,8T  0 part /run/media/<my-user-name>/64264aae-2607-4bcf-afbe-dcc0b9fc33b1

I managed to create an ext4 partition for the second SSD and it is automatically mounted in /run/media, but only accessible for root.

I want to have the second drive permanently mounted at boot to /home/<my-user-name>/Data and have full rights for my user account, i.e. read/write/execute/access through programs, for everything on this drive, just as with the drive where the OS is installed on.

Unfortunately, after reading through a lot of answers to similar questions, reading and watching tutorials, I’m just more confused than I was before. It seems that in one way or the other, this should involve editing the /etc/fstab file, but for someone who’s not an expert in this matter, this seems incredibly dangerous, since one error can brick the system. (Which some users seeking help reported to have happened to them, after following advice …)

Some guidance on how to make this second SSD usable would be highly appreciated!

Install gnome-disk-utility.

This is the way to go.

Add this to the bottom of the file

/dev/nvme1n1p1 /home/$USER/Data ext4 defaults 0 2

(Obviously change the username to your username.)

Then, you claim ownership: sudo chown $USER:$USER -R /home/$USER/Data

2 Likes

yes, and since OP did not figure this out themselves, they should look up what everything in that line means, and realize why it is a good suggestion.

As they said, messed up fstab can sadly lead to unbootable system so better to know what things there do.

1 Like

Some relevant info:

You can trust, what the manjaro or arch wiki says !

You always can trust what :fox_face: linux-aarhus says !

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion! I actually already installed this tool, but from the docs (and internet search) it wasn’t clear to me how to use it in order to accomplish what I want.

This is very true.

That is why I recommend rather doing it with Systemd. Mine is done with it, and it works like a charm. See:

And:

1 Like

Thanks for the adivce! As @varikonniemi suggested, I’ll look up what everything in that line means.

If you use KDE then the partition manager, when being used to format, has the option for ‘Root access’ only or ‘All Users’.

You check whether your /etc/fstab is correctly configured by applying it immediately, without rebooting:

mount -a

If it produces errors or doesn’t mount as expected, you can fix right away.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.