Make KDE faster

kde

And good riddance.
But be careful, very often installing some routine looking feature will yank in all of akonadi and you are bogged down running the full monster just so it can do some little side feature.

Just don’t give kwallet any password at all. Its still protected by each person’s login credentials. It doesn’t need an additional password.

Mountem all with noatime. Nothing depends on atime any more.

If the budget will bear it, look into a SSD of the same size as the existing hdd. ~$140-ish
(And also a USB caddy for the removed HDD to use as a backup device) ~ $25.

These are the least expensive and most impressive upgrades you can do to any laptop these days.

Just loaded a 10-15 y’old thinkpad z60t with a single core pentium and 1.5G ram - with KDE i686 - guess what - works as expected - not very fast but hardware considered - no problem. So I think your hardware considered - don’t think too much about it.

Thank you all for the replies. @Fabish I am looking for fast startup. @jsamyth I have a sata to usb. I know going SSD will make all the difference (530 series intel in my manjaro kde box). From the start I did not make myself clear and I am sorry for that. Even on ssd lets say we compare kde and xfce. Xfce loads much faster. Load time is what bothers me. After loading I am sure that kde will run faster on a 5400 notebook hdd than windows 10. So can we make it start faster? I think there will be no problem after the start. Manjaro KDE is probably the fastest KDE I have used (compared to kubuntu).

Which is? I mean are we talking single digit seconds or double digit differences here.
As can’t believe Xfce loads that much faster then KDE?

Yes, kde does take a little longer to get started once the machine reaches graphical.target. Nothing captures the time this takes because its all in user slice, but it could be from 10 to 20 seconds from a power off state.

Solution: Stop powering it off! :wink:

For me, both hibernate and suspend work perfectly. There’s never any reason to shut down other than a Kernel upgrade.

Just close the lid, and it suspends to ram, (or hibernates, your choice). Open the lid again and with either a HDD or a SDD, resume is virtually instantaneous. And you can walk around with the laptop suspended for a week on a full battery. With an SSD this is even better.

Installing at the moment. Snappy, fast all as expected. Just some questions. Very offtopic. Since this is a dualboot I want two NTFS partitions to get mounted on boot. To do so first how do I make Windows 10 to stop locking them up for read/write. Seccond how to I make them automount. I am making the system for the mother. As a dualboot I want her to be able to go back to windows whenever she wants. And I want all of her office work to be saved on the windows ntfs partition so having a shortcut named “windows documents” “windows desktop” will be very handy.

See here
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NTFS-3G#Metadata_kept_in_Windows_cache.2C_refused_to_mount

Either add them to fstab or use gnome-disk-utility

Okay, then it is different stuff to optimize.

On hdd e4rat can boost your startup time significantly: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/E4rat

Check your bootcharts to see what is taking long. Remove the stuff you don’t have or use. If you don’t have a printer, no point in having cups. If you don’t use bluetooth, same thing. If systemd journald is taking long, reducing journal size can help.

Compiling a custom kernel, lighter kernel can shave you a second or two. And if you are using e4rat for significant gains, you need to enable audit in kernel anyway, so you might as well do it. Adjust makepkg.conf to optimize for your processor, and use modprobed-db to only include modules for the hardware you actually have. As a bonus kernel compiles much faster. Optimizing kernel probably saves you 3 seconds at best (very optimistic here), but but it can let you use e4rat, which saves you more, and optimizing your kernel can reduce the compile time by about 20 minutes. So think about it. All in all somewhat involved process and pay off. And you learn a lot if you have not done it before.

Lightening the initramfs and choosing the right compression option can save you some time, but in my experience this is quite a small difference. Might be bigger on hdd. But anyway, the current options already try to optimize this for you automatically https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Minimal_initramfs

Misc optimizations here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Improving_performance/Boot_process

For kde specific optimizations, the only thing that comes to mind is reducing startup programs. But I’m guessing you opened this thread to know what is safe to disable, so you probably know this…

I actually think this should depend on the amount of RAM. In my experience, I achieve very satisfactory results with the rounded up value 100128/(1024x), being “x” the amount of GB of RAM the machine has. This drastically reduces swap usage, keeping at least 128MB of free RAM (in practice it always keeps more, I deduce it is because of the kernel policy on defining the blocks of data moved to the swap). So, at my desktop (8GB) I have vm.swappiness=2, in my laptop (2GB) vm.swappiness=7 and in an old laptop I have set up recently (512MB) I have vm.swappiness=25. The value 128MB should also depend on the kind of software mainly used. I found this value to be a sane choice for a general purpose system. Might be lower if most processes demand much less RAM or high if the demand is usually high (the aim is to always have free RAM to avoid swapping before a process loads, while reducing unnecessary swaps - that’s what makes Windows slow under heavy load, they make heavy use of disk paging thinking it makes the system faster, but it actually hogs the system).

This is the best definition and the best attackvector I have heard regarding the swap phenomean.

I am going to copy it to my billboard - thanks.

This sounds like a fools errand, especially for a rolling release. Any little change that comes down the pike and you have to recompile your kernel, collect, realloc and preload your system.

You will NEVER save any time doing that on a rolling release! Even on fixed release distro, its unlikely you will save any time even if you boot 4 times a day.

I can’t believe you actually recommended this, (to a new Manjaro user, no less!!!) and I scarcely believe you’ve actually practiced it yourself.

Just buy the SSD and forget about e4rat. Everybody else has.

I have not tried it, as I don’t have hdd. I base my recommendation on the arch wiki, which describes it as “extremely effective”. And hey, compiling kernels is a nice learning experience :slight_smile:

Optimizing boot time is kind of a fools errand in itself, because simply suspending (or switching to a lighter desktop) is so much more easier and effective. The real life gains do not justify the time spent on the optimization. But if someone wants to do it, why not? I do it myself sometimes, because tinkering is fun and you can learn stuff that can be otherwise useful. This is the filososophy behind my recommendation.

I admit this is better idea, but since it was suggested multiple times and I did not notice OP reacting to it, I assumed it was not possible for him for some reason.

I just do not understand all the hubbub surrounding boot-up times. I typically shutdown/restart my comp a few times every day, and the minutes spent in doing so are not even a consideration for me.
I do think also as others have mentioned that an upgrade to a SSD would be the best option considering that it would improve performance all around, not just boot-up time.
I have given thought to upgrading to SSD on my old Dell Studio, but the spinner works ok.

Best regards.

While I absolutely agree on a desktop, boot times don’t matter, but on a laptop…I often find a fast boot to be useful on a laptop, but pretty much anything under 30s is good enough for me.

Its not really important, but I like fast startup. Fast is a type of pretty. My laptop has poor battery, and hibernation is broken every now and then. The 5 second bootup allows me not to care about this.

I know it is irrational to spend time on optimizing it, but sometimes you can make choices based on feelings too.

I never gave a damn about boot times until I got myself a laptop (quite late). Now I think this is important for laptops and a SSD makes all the difference. I can resume work on my single core 32bit laptop (with a PATA interface - yes, there are PATA SSD’s) in under 10s (and this is the time for a high RAM load hibernation >= 2GB). Plus, SSD’s require much less power than a spinning drive. Combine this with other tweaks (like max CPU/GPU speed) and you extend battery life a lot. It also makes ALL the difference if you don’t have much RAM and need to use swap (this is my case). Even if you don’t use swap, application launching will be a lot faster (I don’t use it for storing data, only the system).

So, if you use a laptop and can spend the money on a SSD, I highly recommend it. You don’t need a super drive, just enough for the speed your interface offers (in the case of my laptop I could never get more than 100-133MB/s, so I just bothered with data retention time/temperature and trimm support).

I am amazed by the community. Finally found a project and a community (as in manjaro) that appeals to me. You guys are more that helpful!

OP did reach to it. But so did OP’s mk4 golf volkswagen and its gearbox. I know the benefits of a SSD. Probs gonna get a better SSD for my desktop and move my 530 intel to the notebook. Now I see the future of this project. Rock-solid base, light, rolling-release, user-friendly just as ubuntu and on top of it a community that takes it as their job to help you. I am amazed!