Major problems after update

Hello, I updated Manjaro recently, I even have booted 2-3 times after the update. Now my notifications don’t appear, my search doesn’t find any applications anymore, just for folders. Now here’s what I did, first I went to settings > personalization > notifications and got this:-

I can’t even configure it now.

Then I tried disabling all krunner plugins and re-enable them again, still I can’t find any “apps” on both applications menu and krunner.

Also, “show alternatives”, widgets and others also don’t work. So I have many problems regarding KDE features.

I Just noticed, my sound (speaker and mic.) don’t work.

God knows what else problems I have.

Hi @nazibalalam,

About the notifications:

As far as I know, the notifications can be separately installed/removed as required.

They are available for installation in the ‘extra’ repository:

$ pamac search notifications
[...]
startup-notification                                                                                                                                                       [Installed] 0.12-7                         extra
Monitor and display application startup
knotifications                                                                                                                                                             [Installed] 5.81.0-1                       extra
Abstraction for system notifications
[...]

So it seems they can be installed quite easily:

$ pamac install knotifications
$ pamac install startup-notification

About The file indexer:

No idea, since I don’t use baloo.

Thanks. But however, I get into this error. I don’t want to remove something I don’t know.

pamac install knotifications
Preparing...
Synchronizing package databases...
Warning: removing knotifications-git breaks dependency 'knotifications-git' required by kclock-git
Add kclock-git to remove
Warning: removing knotifications-git breaks dependency 'knotifications-git' required by kwallet-git
Add kwallet-git to remove
Error: Failed to prepare transaction:
could not satisfy dependencies:
- removing kwallet-git breaks dependency 'kwallet-git' required by kio-git,
- if possible, remove kio-git and retry
- removing kwallet-git breaks dependency 'kwallet' required by ksshaskpass,
- if possible, remove ksshaskpass and retry
- removing kwallet-git breaks dependency 'kwallet' required by kwallet-pam,
- if possible, remove kwallet-pam and retry
- removing kwallet-git breaks dependency 'kwallet' required by signon-kwallet-extension,
- if possible, remove signon-kwallet-extension and retry
Resolving dependencies...
Checking inter-conflicts...
Error: Failed to prepare transaction:
could not satisfy dependencies:
- removing kwallet-git breaks dependency 'kwallet-git' required by kio-git,
- if possible, remove kio-git and retry
- removing kwallet-git breaks dependency 'kwallet' required by ksshaskpass,
- if possible, remove ksshaskpass and retry
- removing kwallet-git breaks dependency 'kwallet' required by kwallet-pam,
- if possible, remove kwallet-pam and retry
- removing kwallet-git breaks dependency 'kwallet' required by signon-kwallet-extension,
- if possible, remove signon-kwallet-extension and retry

Your problem is rather obvious – you mix git and non-git packages in your KDE. Remove all kde-git packages and/or replace it with non-git equivalent.

2 Likes

I knew it, I was going to reply yesterday “Are you one of these people installing random git packages and not reading his screen when updating and/or ignoring dependencies issues when updating?” then I didn’t reply…

1 Like

Seems to be the problem, any description on how to do that?

Just remembered, I installed “lightly-qt” yesterday, is that the problem?

Well, it’s not really “random” installed git packages.

The issue came from the user-manager package got removed (merged into another plasma package), but the profile maintainer didn’t catch it in time, resulting in user-manager-git still being available and providing user-manager. When pacman then installs or updates, it installs user-manager-git instead of user-manager, since it’s the closest match.
In regards to systems being updated, if a user was not paying much attention, the user-manager package would get replaced with user-manager-git, which in turn requires a lot of -git plasma packages, so lots of plasma packages would get replaced with their -git counterpart.

This is bad enough, since mixing git and non-git packages can result in library versioning being wrong.

But the team then removed all the -git packages from the repo and created a [kde-unstable] repo, where all the -git packages was placed and renamed to match their non-git counterparts.
Resulting in the “-git” packages not actually getting updated anymore, creating larger library version gaps.

Hence this part:

Simply you can do it by installing all packages which are mentioned in pamac output. Start with

pamac install knotifications kwallet kio

if you get another dependency error add mentioned packages and try again until success. You can search and list all git packages with pamac search -iq git | grep "-git"

1 Like

I might sound stupid, but :-

pamac search -iq |grep "-git"
grep: invalid option -- 'g'
Usage: grep [OPTION]... PATTERNS [FILE]...
Try 'grep --help' for more information.

Sorry my mistake, correct command:

pamac search -iq git | grep "-git"

Remove the - in "-git".

1 Like

Now, should I uninstall all of them? (except git of course)

git
attica-git
hentaifetch-git
kactivities-git
karchive-git
kauth-git
kbookmarks-git
kclock-git
kcodecs-git
kcompletion-git
kconfig-git
kconfigwidgets-git
kcoreaddons-git
kcrash-git
kdbusaddons-git
kdeclarative-git
kglobalaccel-git
kguiaddons-git
ki18n-git
kiconthemes-git
kio-git
kirigami2-git
kirigami-addons-git
kitemviews-git
kjobwidgets-git
knotifications-git
kpackage-git
kservice-git
ktextwidgets-git
kwallet-git
kwayland-git
kwidgetsaddons-git
kwindowsystem-git
kxmlgui-git
libgit2
libgit2-glib
plasma-framework-git
solid-git
sonnet-git

All except git, libgit2 and libgit2-glib should be replaced with their non-git counterparts.

PS: Also exclude your hentaifetch-git if you still use/need that. :wink:

1 Like

Not uninstall. Replace them.

sudo pacman -Syu attica kactivities karchive kauth kbookmarks kclock kcodecs kcompletion kconfig kconfigwidgets kcoreaddons kcrash kdbusaddons kdeclarative kglobalaccel kguiaddons ki18n kiconthemes kio kirigami2 kirigami-addons kitemviews kjobwidgets knotifications kpackage kservice ktextwidgets kwallet kwayland kwidgetsaddons kwindowsystem kxmlgui plasma-framework solid sonnet
1 Like

okay, so do I need to first install the non-git versions? I tried sudo pacman -R [the packages] and this happent:-

sudo pacman -R attica-git hentaifetch-git kactivities-git karchive-git kauth-git kbookmarks-git kclock-git kcodecs-git kcompletion-git kconfig-git kconfigwidgets-git kcoreaddons-git kcrash-git kdbusaddons-git kdeclarative-git kglobalaccel-git kguiaddons-git ki18n-git kiconthemes-git kio-git kirigami2-git kirigami-addons-git kitemviews-git kjobwidgets-git knotifications-git kpackage-git kservice-git ktextwidgets-git kwallet-git kwayland-git kwidgetsaddons-git kwindowsystem-git kxmlgui-git plasma-framework-git solid-git sonnet-git
[sudo] password for nazibalalam: 
checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing kio-git breaks dependency 'kio' required by baloo
:: removing kdeclarative-git breaks dependency 'kdeclarative' required by bluedevil
:: removing kwayland-git breaks dependency 'kwayland' required by breeze
:: removing kactivities-git breaks dependency 'kactivities' required by dolphin
:: removing kio-git breaks dependency 'kio' required by ffmpegthumbs
:: removing kactivities-git breaks dependency 'kactivities' required by gwenview
:: removing kactivities-git breaks dependency 'kactivities' required by kactivities-stats
:: removing kio-git breaks dependency 'kio' required by kactivitymanagerd
:: removing kio-git breaks dependency 'kio' required by kamera
:: removing kactivities-git breaks dependency 'kactivities' required by kate
:: removing kdeclarative-git breaks dependency 'kdeclarative' required by kcmutils
:: removing kactivities-git breaks dependency 'kactivities' required by kde-cli-tools
:: removing kconfigwidgets-git breaks dependency 'kconfigwidgets' required by kde-gtk-config
:: removing kdbusaddons-git breaks dependency 'kdbusaddons' required by kde-gtk-config
:: removing ki18n-git breaks dependency 'ki18n' required by kdecoration
:: removing kservice-git breaks dependency 'kservice' required by kded
:: removing kio-git breaks dependency 'kio' required by kdegraphics-thumbnailers
:: removing kdeclarative-git breaks dependency 'kdeclarative' required by kdenetwork-filesharing
:: removing kservice-git breaks dependency 'kservice' required by kdesu
:: removing karchive-git breaks dependency 'karchive' required by kdoctools
:: removing karchive-git breaks dependency 'karchive' required by kemoticons
:: removing kservice-git breaks dependency 'kservice' required by kemoticons
:: removing ki18n-git breaks dependency 'ki18n' required by kfilemetadata
:: removing karchive-git breaks dependency 'karchive' required by kfilemetadata
:: removing kconfig-git breaks dependency 'kconfig' required by kfilemetadata
:: removing kcoreaddons-git breaks dependency 'kcoreaddons' required by kfilemetadata
:: removing kio-git breaks dependency 'kio' required by kfind
:: removing kconfigwidgets-git breaks dependency 'kconfigwidgets' required by kgamma5
:: removing kio-git breaks dependency 'kio' required by kinit
:: removing kio-git breaks dependency 'kio' required by kio-extras
:: removing kio-git breaks dependency 'kio' required by kmenuedit
:: removing kio-git breaks dependency 'kio' required by knewstuff
:: removing kpackage-git breaks dependency 'kpackage' required by knewstuff
:: removing kio-git breaks dependency 'kio' required by knotifyconfig
:: removing kio-git breaks dependency 'kio' required by kparts
:: removing kcoreaddons-git breaks dependency 'kcoreaddons' required by kpeople
:: removing ki18n-git breaks dependency 'ki18n' required by kpeople
:: removing kwidgetsaddons-git breaks dependency 'kwidgetsaddons' required by kpeople
:: removing kitemviews-git breaks dependency 'kitemviews' required by kpeople
:: removing kcoreaddons-git breaks dependency 'kcoreaddons' required by kpmcore
:: removing kwidgetsaddons-git breaks dependency 'kwidgetsaddons' required by kpmcore
:: removing ki18n-git breaks dependency 'ki18n' required by kpmcore
:: removing kcoreaddons-git breaks dependency 'kcoreaddons' required by kpty
:: removing ki18n-git breaks dependency 'ki18n' required by kpty
:: removing plasma-framework-git breaks dependency 'plasma-framework' required by krunner
:: removing kdeclarative-git breaks dependency 'kdeclarative' required by kscreen
:: removing kwayland-git breaks dependency 'kwayland' required by kscreenlocker
:: removing kdeclarative-git breaks dependency 'kdeclarative' required by kscreenlocker
:: removing kwallet-git breaks dependency 'kwallet' required by ksshaskpass
:: removing kio-git breaks dependency 'kio' required by ksystemlog
:: removing ki18n-git breaks dependency 'ki18n' required by kunitconversion
:: removing kwallet-git breaks dependency 'kwallet' required by kwallet-pam
:: removing kio-git breaks dependency 'kio' required by kwalletmanager
:: removing kwindowsystem-git breaks dependency 'kwindowsystem' required by kwayland-integration
:: removing kwayland-git breaks dependency 'kwayland' required by kwayland-integration
:: removing kguiaddons-git breaks dependency 'kguiaddons' required by kwayland-integration
:: removing plasma-framework-git breaks dependency 'plasma-framework' required by kwin
:: removing knotifications-git breaks dependency 'knotifications' required by kwrited
:: removing kdbusaddons-git breaks dependency 'kdbusaddons' required by kwrited
:: removing kxmlgui-git breaks dependency 'kxmlgui' required by libkipi
:: removing kservice-git breaks dependency 'kservice' required by libkipi
:: removing kwayland-git breaks dependency 'kwayland' required by libkscreen
:: removing kdeclarative-git breaks dependency 'kdeclarative' required by libksysguard
:: removing kauth-git breaks dependency 'kauth' required by manjaro-settings-manager
:: removing kcoreaddons-git breaks dependency 'kcoreaddons' required by manjaro-settings-manager
:: removing kconfigwidgets-git breaks dependency 'kconfigwidgets' required by manjaro-settings-manager-kcm
:: removing knotifications-git breaks dependency 'knotifications' required by manjaro-settings-manager-knotifier
:: removing kactivities-git breaks dependency 'kactivities' required by okular
:: removing knotifications-git breaks dependency 'knotifications' required by pamac-tray-icon-plasma
:: removing kio-git breaks dependency 'kio' required by partitionmanager
:: removing kio-git breaks dependency 'kio' required by plasma-integration
:: removing kwayland-git breaks dependency 'kwayland' required by plasma-integration
:: removing kirigami2-git breaks dependency 'kirigami2' required by plasma-systemmonitor
:: removing kiconthemes-git breaks dependency 'kiconthemes' required by polkit-kde-agent
:: removing kdbusaddons-git breaks dependency 'kdbusaddons' required by polkit-kde-agent
:: removing kcrash-git breaks dependency 'kcrash' required by polkit-kde-agent
:: removing kirigami2-git breaks dependency 'kirigami2' required by purpose
:: removing kirigami2-git breaks dependency 'kirigami2' required by qqc2-desktop-style
:: removing kiconthemes-git breaks dependency 'kiconthemes' required by qqc2-desktop-style
:: removing plasma-framework-git breaks dependency 'plasma-framework' required by sddm-breath2-theme
:: removing kwallet-git breaks dependency 'kwallet' required by signon-kwallet-extension
:: removing kwayland-git breaks dependency 'kwayland' required by spectacle
:: removing kio-git breaks dependency 'kio' required by systemd-kcm
:: removing kirigami2-git breaks dependency 'kirigami2' required by xdg-desktop-portal-kde
:: removing plasma-framework-git breaks dependency 'plasma-framework' required by xdg-desktop-portal-kde
:: removing kwayland-git breaks dependency 'kwayland' required by yakuake

the last 5 lines should be highlited:-

> sudo pacman -Syu attica kactivities karchive kauth kbookmarks kclock kcodecs kcompletion kconfig kconfigwidgets kcoreaddons kcrash kdbusaddons kdeclarative kglobalaccel kguiaddons ki18n kiconthemes kio kirigami2 kirigami-addons kitemviews kjobwidgets knotifications kpackage kservice ktextwidgets kwallet kwayland kwidgetsaddons kwindowsystem kxmlgui plasma-framework solid sonnet
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
warning: kclock-git-0.3.0.r1.gd02a4eb-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: kirigami-addons-git-5.57.0.r22.g6c01964-2 is up to date -- reinstalling
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: attica and attica-git are in conflict. Remove attica-git? [y/N] y
:: kactivities and kactivities-git are in conflict. Remove kactivities-git? [y/N] y
:: karchive and karchive-git are in conflict. Remove karchive-git? [y/N] y
:: kauth and kauth-git are in conflict. Remove kauth-git? [y/N] y
:: kbookmarks and kbookmarks-git are in conflict. Remove kbookmarks-git? [y/N] y
:: kcodecs and kcodecs-git are in conflict. Remove kcodecs-git? [y/N] y
:: kcompletion and kcompletion-git are in conflict. Remove kcompletion-git? [y/N] y
:: kconfig and kconfig-git are in conflict. Remove kconfig-git? [y/N] y
:: kconfigwidgets and kconfigwidgets-git are in conflict. Remove kconfigwidgets-git? [y/N] y
:: kcoreaddons and kcoreaddons-git are in conflict. Remove kcoreaddons-git? [y/N] y
:: kcrash and kcrash-git are in conflict. Remove kcrash-git? [y/N] y
:: kdbusaddons and kdbusaddons-git are in conflict. Remove kdbusaddons-git? [y/N] y
:: kdeclarative and kdeclarative-git are in conflict. Remove kdeclarative-git? [y/N] y
:: kglobalaccel and kglobalaccel-git are in conflict. Remove kglobalaccel-git? [y/N] y
:: kguiaddons and kguiaddons-git are in conflict. Remove kguiaddons-git? [y/N] y
:: ki18n and ki18n-git are in conflict. Remove ki18n-git? [y/N] y
:: kiconthemes and kiconthemes-git are in conflict. Remove kiconthemes-git? [y/N] y
:: kio and kio-git are in conflict. Remove kio-git? [y/N] y
:: kirigami2 and kirigami2-git are in conflict. Remove kirigami2-git? [y/N] y
:: kitemviews and kitemviews-git are in conflict. Remove kitemviews-git? [y/N] y
:: kjobwidgets and kjobwidgets-git are in conflict. Remove kjobwidgets-git? [y/N] y
:: knotifications and knotifications-git are in conflict. Remove knotifications-git? [y/N] y
:: kpackage and kpackage-git are in conflict. Remove kpackage-git? [y/N] y
:: kservice and kservice-git are in conflict. Remove kservice-git? [y/N] y
:: ktextwidgets and ktextwidgets-git are in conflict. Remove ktextwidgets-git? [y/N] y
:: kwallet and kwallet-git are in conflict. Remove kwallet-git? [y/N] y
:: kwayland and kwayland-git are in conflict. Remove kwayland-git? [y/N] y
:: kwidgetsaddons and kwidgetsaddons-git are in conflict. Remove kwidgetsaddons-git? [y/N] y
:: kwindowsystem and kwindowsystem-git are in conflict. Remove kwindowsystem-git? [y/N] y
:: kxmlgui and kxmlgui-git are in conflict. Remove kxmlgui-git? [y/N] y
:: plasma-framework and plasma-framework-git are in conflict. Remove plasma-framework-git? [y/N] y
:: solid and solid-git are in conflict. Remove solid-git? [y/N] y
:: sonnet and sonnet-git are in conflict. Remove sonnet-git? [y/N] y
:: unable to satisfy dependency 'kdbusaddons-git' required by kclock-git
:: unable to satisfy dependency 'knotifications-git' required by kclock-git
:: unable to satisfy dependency 'plasma-framework-git' required by kclock-git
:: unable to satisfy dependency 'ki18n-git' required by kirigami-addons-git
:: unable to satisfy dependency 'kirigami2-git' required by kirigami-addons-git

I don’t think kclock and kirigami-addons are in the repo.

So simply remove kclock-git and kirigami-addons-git instead of replacing them.

1 Like

how about kirigami2-git?

sudo pacman -R kirigami2-git                                                                                     INT ✘ 
checking dependencies...
:: removing kirigami2-git breaks dependency 'kirigami2-git' required by plasma-framework-git
:: removing kirigami2-git breaks dependency 'kirigami2' required by plasma-systemmonitor
:: removing kirigami2-git breaks dependency 'kirigami2' required by purpose
:: removing kirigami2-git breaks dependency 'kirigami2' required by qqc2-desktop-style
:: removing kirigami2-git breaks dependency 'kirigami2' required by xdg-desktop-portal-kde