Maintainer wanted

Bspwm edition is up for grabs. I'm focusing my efforts on polishing gnome edition and our installers, and I no longer have the requisite time to properly maintain bspwm edition.

Currently, the manjaro-architect profile should install without any issues and installation should be usable, but because of the package format update there is a need for rebuilding the iso, and I don't have time for it.

If someone wants to take up maintenance, they are free to do what they want with the edition. Here are some guidelines I have followed, but you need not follow them:

• install only with manjaro-architect
  • gtk3 only, no gtk2 or qt
  • keep everything as simple and minimal as possible
  • listen to the community
  • because there is no calamares, installed system can have packages that live system doesn't. For example printing support and office suite need not be included in the iso.
2 Likes

I might be interested... except I have no idea how to build an iso on manjaro....

Maybe, tl;dr :wink:

@SGS Well, you see I'm lazy. :grimacing: I have spent a year playing in the Debian sandbox (on MX and antiX) they have a tool that even I can run for creating iso (respins). :shushing_face: I have no issue learning how-to build an iso more manually on manjaro, I just think my lack of skill in the iso creation area (I have none) places too much at risk.

In the short term, I am happy to provide my entire manjaro dotfile setup with written instructions to anyone who'd like them. :partying_face:

Edit: fwiw here are links so folks can see the type of materials I mean:

1. Installa manjaro-tools-iso
  2. clone iso-profiles repo https://gitlab.manjaro.org/profiles-and-settings/iso-profiles
  3. Edit the profile how you like
  4. Run buildiso -p bspwm

That's pretty much it. Packages-desktop is a list of packages that get installed, Desktop-Overlay is where you put any files you want to overwrite. In profile.conf you can choose enabled services. Anything that goes to /etc/skel should be managed with the desktop-settings package, see here:

1 Like

Step 3 seems to be the 'big' item. I assume that's the step where I place everything I want into /etc/skel/ ??? If that's basically the idea, I'll do that with my current build and see what sort of disaster I create. :wink:

It is much simpler than that. Clone the iso-profiles, take a look and run a build of one of the existing profiles.

There really isn't much to it. You can tweak the overlays for days but it isn't requirement to do so since there is working version already.

well trial and error.
and needs a powerfull cpu to reduce iso building time.

i regret trying my first attempt with core2duo cpu

Alternatively, you can use....patience. I have built ISOs in a VM with only a couple of cores.

Also.....you make giant ISOs that probably take forever to compress.

my first iso was 8 gb in size
so you can guess the patience
i had
i dont even remember how many hours it took after 10 hours
i just simply let it be and checked after one day later.

I do have 24GB on 2 different machines, both are i5, one is gen 6 the other gen 10. I'll rummage around and see what happens when I try to build things. I'd assume I can do it. I should have learned patience in the last 45 years of doing software. :wink: If a young enthusiastic person comes along in the meantime, feel free to let them have at it. :nerd_face:

1 Like

It is very easy to build a manjaro ISO. The only reason I won't take this on is the lack of knowledge about bspwm which would render me unable to answer any questions about issues with it, even if I did listen to the community.

Personally, what I'd do is just carry on where @Chrysostomus left off and use the existing package profiles. They may need a quick look to make sure the packages listed haven't been removed from the repositories or moved to another repo but apart from that why fix a winning formula? The new package format would be dealt with by including the latest build of pamac. So it should be fairly straight forward to any current bspwm user to deal with.

1 Like

I would actually be pretty interested in doing this. I'm not currently running bspwm but, have in the past. I've got a soft spot for it being it follows the suckless idea quite nicely. Maybe I could get some help from @manyroads along the way. Two heads are better than one.

1 Like

FWIW @airclay I do run bspwm every day... but it is my own flavor. I'm happy to give you all my dotfiles etc.

1 Like

I am interested in trying bspwn again after the screenshots of @manyroads and when I went to give it a go, the iso was pretty outdated and a lot of things broke with updates. I think it would be awesome to have your flavor added to the edition and give it a run through.

Thanks for all your time and effort supporting this edition in the past.

6 Likes

Just made an iso from git
changed adwaita-maia-gtk3 to adwaita-maia
removed office
added manjaro-architect
enabled non free
enabled multilib
http://www.mediafire.com/file/obemai83rqd78a6/manjaro-bspwm-19.0.1-200301-linux54.iso/file

Architect can be found in system

3 Likes

Here are screenshots from my current bspwm setup on manjaro. I will make the details for this available.

Basic Desktop layour polybar (top), tint2 (bottom), calcurse calendar popup from tint2 clock, conky on desktop (background), rofi menu from polybar

neofetch inxfce4-terminal, zenity bspwm help dialog

rofi Active workspace/app tracker (manjaro theme)

Midnight commander (manjaro-themed)

7 Likes

These are real slick! I've pulled the dotfiles .tar.gz from the above link last night. I'm setting up a bspwm environment today and will have a chance to study. @Robin0800 This is excellent and fast, I might start with this.

Forum kindly sponsored by