Mabox Linux 17.02 - Manjaro re-spin with Openbox is ready

Just to be clear, if you were say, installing mabox from the live dvd environment, you’d update the keyrings as suggested before installing mabox?

I came across the error “libglx” error has @Ondonk and others have experienced in this thread, and initially fixed it using the rm method @fhdk suggested.

I’m going to install mabox on a new laptop soon and just wanted to make sure I understood your solution @wongs

Many thanks!

No, I’m talking about updating an installed system. I’ve had mabox installed in a VM since the Release Candidate.

All this while it was running and updating just fine. Then I started getting the “keyring corrupted” message but the solution in the Manjaro Wiki did not work. When I posted in this thread, napcok PM’ed me and I realised there was a separate mabox keyring (I assume he keeps some of his openbox tweaks like the control centre there instead of Manjaro’s repositories).

I have no idea what the current mabox iso is like and whether the installer has changed. When the RC came out, IIRC it was a full image with everything set up, not a net install type where it would install the latest packages from the repos at the point of you using the installer.

Ah great!

Thanks @wongs

@napcok, thank you very much for what continues to be an excellent distribution built upon Manjaro! I just did another full system install of this today on my dell desktop, and it is glorious! I love the minimalism, ease of customization, and stability of it!

For anyone wondering if this project is still working, it most certainly is! The iso’s from the mabox linux website work like a charm!

I see no updates post September 2016. Is this project still live? I came across the topic, read it from the beginning to the end, only to find out there has been no recent comments. I’m really looking forward to installing this Openbox edition, if it’s still maintained. Thanks.

The topic is idle, but there are ISO’s of version 17.0.2 on the project website:

Thanks. I’ll give it a try on VM. Sad to see it frozen though, heard a great deal about it. Thanks again.

Well I found this topic on their forum, from August:

In the first line napcok (project leader) says:

“Trwają prace nad kolejnym wydaniem Maboxa.”

which means “We are working on next edition of Mabox”.
So now we just have to be patient (although it’s been nearly 3 month so…) :smiley:
In the meantime I suggest trying out i3 edition or JWM a.k.a. Kibojoe.

Perfect. I suspect it’ll be worth the wait. And yes, I’ve been using @Holmes JWM edition way before it became Kibojoe :grinning: Thanks for your help mate. Cheers.

I’ve installed the 686 version of Mabox 17.2. I keep getting 404 errors when trying to update. Does Arch’s stopping 32 bit support include Mabox?

Check the #manjaro32 tag. Especially (the first part of) the post

I installed on 10 year old PC, runs quick and it is beautiful and functional. I had minor difficulties with updating but now it is resolved. I hope the development continues…, had >500 apps to update…

Have to say it is beautifully functional.

excited to try this! thank you.

Is this still active, it’s been a year it seems since an updated iso was released?

Note, I’ve always been a user, but I love openbox and wouldn’t mind helping maintain this with some mentorship…to get my feet wet per say.

I’d also like to know. Fell in love with openbox after my first Linux distro, Crunchbang.

Try archlabs…it’s a great openbox implementation…that is if this one doesn’t pan out.

I think I’d like a Fluxbox version over an Openbox version of Manjaro to be made since Fluxbox is still in development whereas Openbox isn’t (and still has a lot of pull requests opened).

Edit: Actually the last version of Fluxbox was 2015-02-08… so nvm… Last Openbox commit was 2015-03-03

lol… they are both pretty old school.

Wish there was a new minimal option just to have something new to play with.

Kibojoe Linux

vlw fwi, Holmes :slight_smile:

Will check it out, downloading now.