LTS support for RX6600XT (Navi23)

Hi all,

I fitted a RX6600XT GPU about 2 weeks ago, replacing an Nvidia card and opening up a can of worms. After digging blindly into LightDM, Xserver stuff and god-knows-what else I finally fixed it today by simply switching from Manjaro 5.4 LTS to 5.14. I’d previously tried 5.10 LTS but it didn’t work (booted to black screen with blinking cursor).

Given my nooboidness I’d much rather be using an LTS version of Manjaro, so my question is this: what/where do I have to keep checking to see when Navi23 support (I think that’s correct) makes it into an LTS version?

I have this link bookmarked to check before rebooting after a major update: Latest Announcements/Stable Updates topics - Manjaro Linux Forum but tbh most of it goes over my head. Is this where I should be checking, though?

Thanks for any pointers.

There is not LTS version of Manjaro. Manjaro is a rolling release distribution. Maybe you meant LTS kernel? Anyway, if you hardware is only supported from kernel version XXX then you have to use this version and the next releases of kernel after this version. At some point one of the kernels releasing will be selected as the next LTS kernel, then you can stay on this kernel for many years.

3 Likes

Checking this forum is a good place to stay on top of what others have done to fix issues.If your interested in when new kernels are released the kernel main site is a good start Manjaro does not build the kernels.

1 Like

Aha, thanks. So I’ll keep using 5.14, hope that nothing goes wrong and then try the next LTS kernel when it appears.

I guess I thought that features ‘trickled down’ into the versions marked as LTS once they were deemed stable and secure.

Thank you very much for the prompt replies.

I don’t think so, new features are added to new kernels, only security fixes can be backported to older LTS kernels I guess.

1 Like

I saw somewhere the current mainline kernel 5.15 is a candidate for next LTS.

From my recent kernel sync on my workstation to 5.15 - it is an incredible kernel.

I have been scouting for an AMD graphics card with the main goal of using it on Manjaro. I found Radeon Pro WX7100 which seem to have been build for the all the major operating systems including Redhat Linux, Ubuntu and Suse Linux.

The fact the card had launch in July 2016 - gives me a high probability of the card working OOB.

1 Like

This is the theory yes, regarding the number of current LTS kernels, and the “tradition” of selecting the next LTS kernel before certain point in time of the year. It should, in theory be 5.15 but you never know, I don’t think kernel devs have decided yet or made a statement about it.

That indeed is correct - it is still mainline on kernel.org - last LTS was 5.4 to 5.10 - I’ll try and remember where I saw it :slight_smile: -

I found it Active kernel releases

But it is still EOL before 5.10

Longterm

There are usually several “longterm maintenance” kernel releases provided for the purposes of backporting bugfixes for older kernel trees. Only important bugfixes are applied to such kernels and they don’t usually see very frequent releases, especially for older trees.

Version Maintainer Released Projected EOL
5.15 Greg Kroah-Hartman & Sasha Levin 2021-10-31 Oct, 2023
5.10 Greg Kroah-Hartman & Sasha Levin 2020-12-13 Dec, 2026
5.4 Greg Kroah-Hartman & Sasha Levin 2019-11-24 Dec, 2025
4.19 Greg Kroah-Hartman & Sasha Levin 2018-10-22 Dec, 2024
4.14 Greg Kroah-Hartman & Sasha Levin 2017-11-12 Jan, 2024
4.9 Greg Kroah-Hartman & Sasha Levin 2016-12-11 Jan, 2023
4.4 Greg Kroah-Hartman & Sasha Levin 2016-01-10 Feb, 2022
1 Like

It might have to do with the friction Greg KH has with third-party vendors.

I actually don’t blame him, really.

EDIT: My interpretation is that the EOL for 5.15 can still be pushed further if the kernel developers, and more specifically Greg, gauge there is more interest and cooperation from vendors in regards to “LTS-denoted” releases.

1 Like

Ah yeah then if its projected EOL is 2023 it IS actually already an LTS kernel :+1: (and in the Release page it is LTS as we can see)

The reason why it is marked Stable instead of LTS on the front page is explained in F.A.Q.

Why is an LTS kernel marked as “stable” on the front page?

Long-term support (“LTS”) kernels announced on the Releases page will be marked as “stable” on the front page if there are no other current stable kernel releases. This is done to avoid breaking automated parsers monitoring kernel.org with an expectation that there will always be a kernel release marked as “stable.”

So wayrest, wait for kernel 5.15 in Manjaro Setting and install it when it gets out of the RCxx version :wink:

Thanks, I will do that. In fact 5.15 is the first version I tried and I can confirm that the RX 6600 XT worked with it; not sure if that has any bearing on the Radeon Pro WX7100, though.

5.15 is marked as “experimental” in settings manager, so I dropped back to 5.14.

I will arrive at stable soon - using the Manjaro branch closest to Arch I must say it works flawless.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.