Looking to get involved in Manjaro

development

I’d like to start getting involved in Manjaro, with the goal of eventually becoming part of the Manjaro Team. I’ve been a Linux user on and off for about 20 years (I remember when Red Hat was the new kid on the block), and until last year primarily used Debian-based distributions. I found Manjaro while looking for a new distribution to call home, and am very happy with what I found. I don’t have any real Linux development experience, but have been a software engineer for a good number of years. Ruby is my language of choice, but have varying degrees of experience with other languages like Bash scripting, Python, C, C++, Objective-C, Java, etc. I can learn what I need to for the task at hand.

I’m not exactly sure how to get involved, though. I have given some thought to possibly maintaining a package or two, but am not sure if that would be focused more on Arch or Manjaro, and I don’t know what package(s) that might be. So I thought I should probably just make a post here and get input from the people in the know. I want to be involved, have time to be involved, and am willing to work on anything that needs to be done to get the process started.

Plenty of options:

1. Help out on the forum
  2. Look for orphaned AUR packages which need a maintainer
  3. Raise PRs for Manjaro tools, e.g. mhwd
  4. Add to/update documentation
  5. Test packages
  6. Check and improve translations
  7. Run archlinux32 in a VM and submit package test results
  8. Raise PRs on upstream projects used by Manjaro, e.g. Calamares
  9. Be active on the IRC channel

:thinking:

Most of the “getting involved” process is organic. When I started with Manjaro I didn’t envision essentially running the forum and packaging security updates and running a i686 subproject, but it’s just how it developed over the years.

I wish I had your skill set. I try to help out on the forum, as I am nowhere near qualified to get involved at a developmental level. I think Jonathon’s suggestions about getting involved in working on the mhwd or Calamares projects would be a good fit for you.

It’s awesome to see people who want to give back to the community. Welcome to the Manjaro forum.

You bring a lot to the table and if I grok your post correctly, are looking for a manner to employ them in Manjaro.

My best advice is to first become comfortable in Manjaro and Arch, its parent. The rest should come naturally, as @jonathon stated. But first things first.

Welcome to Manjaro Linux!:sob:

Griaß Di aus Minga :wink: Wennst mitmacha wuist is des koa Problem. Muast hoid nua wissa wiast ofanga wuist. I hab zum Beispui miam programmiern vom Installa o’gfanga. Wia da @jonathon scho g’sogt hod: Ois is möglich …

And now for the world :smile::

Servus from Munich :wink: Starting with Manjaro is no problem. You only have to know where to start. I started as an example with coding the installer. As @jonathon already mentioned: all is possible …

You may check out our Tools or developed Applications. With your coding skills you may find some improvements on our code or you may even add new features to it. As @c00ter mentioned also: getting familiar with the Linux OS itself is also good to know. There I recommend to get use to PKGBUILD and how you may package your software. For our applications those scripts already exists and with a makepkg in the given folder a compilation is easy to be started out of the box.

Therefore:

• checkout our community
  • checkout our tools or applications
  • try to change some code and send your changes in
  • check your changes locally on your system
  • when all fits, we grant you the needed rights to work more independently

Thanks for the welcome and kind words from everyone. As @tbg mentioned, my motivation is to give back to a global community (Linux in general) that has given me so much over the years. I do not yet know what the quality of contributions will be :wink:, but we shall soon find out. :laughing:

@Cooter Yes, you understand my thoughts correctly. My life situation has changed such that I can now give time to a community like Manjaro, which I think I’ve really needed to do for a long time. Ah, but life is not always a willing participant. :wink:

@jonathon and @philm I very much appreciate the detail each of you provided. I looked through the list of orphaned AUR packages (over 3000!) looking for something that I either currently use or would use, but didn’t find anything. There were a couple that came close, but upon closer inspection, didn’t excite me enough to switch from what I’m using now. But at least now I know where to look and can review the list every so often!

@jonathon When you say “Test packages”, does that mean try to install various packages and see if it works? And if not, try to figure out why and fix it? That actually sounds to me like a great place to start as it will grant me an opportunity to become more familiar with the breadth of applications available in Manjaro/Arch and give me a chance to understand PKGBUILD and the packaging process (to which @philm pointed).

Finally, @philm As my name suggests (which I think you noticed EDIT: Oh, the avatar! :laughing: ), I am of Deutch ancestry, aber mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut. :slightly_frowning_face: This may surprise some, but one of the primary reasons I chose Manjaro is it is partly “from Germany”. When I started looking for a distribution that comes out of Germany, I found SuSE and Manjaro, and after having tried them both, very much prefered, and therefore chose, Manjaro. And, well, the rest is history (as we sometimes say in the US).

Looking forward to this exciting adventure!
Johann

Yes indeed. Switch up to the #manjaro-development:testing-branch or #manjaro-development:unstable-branch, watch out for any issues that occur, and find ways to fix them.

You might even run vanilla Arch in a VM to help spot any issues that are specific to Manjaro, as well as give an early-warning for any potential issues coming from upstream.

There’s loads of possibilities.

Jo mei wo is denn die depperte blau weiß korierte Fahne bei den ehmohdschies …? Na, so wiads a gehn: :+1:t2:

@johann.koebbe: Maybe also have a look at the feature requests?

Ja. Gut Idee! :wink: I actually spotted a requested enhancement to pacman-mirrors (https://gitlab.manjaro.org/applications/pacman-mirrors/issues/135) that I’m going to make a stab at. It seems like it should be relatively straightforward, though I haven’t yet looked at the code. I’m just getting to where I can fork the project and I still need to get a VM setup. Hopefully I’ll be hacking on it later tonight. :grin:

If you like the challenge then there is also this one.

It has been annoying me that the c language is so hard for me to get started with.

I am working on that one :slight_smile:

Johann, I can’t stress this hard enough: You first need to learn Arch Linux, upon which Manjaro is based, and extremely tied-to. That includes the AUR and AUR “helpers.” As an example, Yaourt is only one of the helpers and not viewed in a very good light by many in the Arch community. I say this as a functioning member of both the Arch and the Manjaro communities. And there is more.

What it appears you are attempting would be the equivalent to working with Ubuntu, without knowing anything about Debian. That’s about the best analogy I can draw.

If you fail to learn the ways of Arch, I fear your efforts are doomed for failure.

regards

Getting started developing pacman-mirrors

I don’t think it’s that bad, but it will save some unnenecessary loops.

It will definitely open the eyes if Johann installs Arch following their guide just to see how simple it is and what Manjaro tries to automate in order to have a reason for its existence.

Sorry if this is off topic, but if pacman-mirrors isn’t in need of attention I can think of something that is. In your initial post Jonathon mentioned MHWD as a possible project that could use attention. I know MHWD often installs the drivers incorrectly for some broadcom WiFi chips.

I have a list of the broadcom chips that are most frequently miss-detected. I have seen posts where @eugen-b has commented about how MHWD always installed his broadcom drivers improperly, so I believe this is a known issue. If you had any inclination to take on a project like looking into the hardware detection scripts for the broadcom chips that would be fantastic. I have no idea if that would interest you (or if its even doable), but I thought I’d mention it as another option to look into.

@tbg

I understand that pacman-mirrors doesn’t actually need anything right now, but I want to get this issue resolved before I move on. I’m open to giving anything a go, so the WiFi identification problem you are having is definitely a possibility.

Johann

That would be fantastic if you felt like taking a crack at MHWD at some point. It is a big problem because the Broacdom drivers issue can actually prevent installation of Manjaro. In some cases Manjaro installation hangs at 75% when it gets to the Broadcom hardware detection.

The people that realize why, can force Manjaro installation without the network drivers. That involves altering the Calamares installation scripts. Not something the average new user who wants to install Manjaro knows how to do.

The reason I think most Broadcom driver issues occur is because MHWD installs the broadcom-wl driver and it conflicts in some chips with the native kernel drivers.

I would think the issue could be fixed by identifying which chips are problematic and preventing MHWD from installing the broadcom-wl driver by default. Of course I’m no programmer, so I have no real idea how easily this could be accomplished.

Regardless, I totally appreciate your desire to help. Thank you so much for trying to aid in Manjaro’s development.