Long standing issue with whole-disk passthrough in libvirt

I don’t know if this is the appropriate place to report this issue, but it’s been going on for months now, ever since libvirt was upgraded to version 6.5.0-2.

When attempting to start a virtual machine that uses whole disk passthrough, I get the following error:

ditto:~% sudo virsh start meowth                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
error: Failed to start domain meowth
error: Unable to get devmapper targets for /dev/disk/by-id/nvme-Samsung_SSD_970_EVO_Plus_2TB_S59CNZFNA11845N-part1: Success

The disk is defined in the XML as:

<disk type='block' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback' io='threads' discard='unmap'/>
      <source dev='/dev/disk/by-id/nvme-Samsung_SSD_970_EVO_Plus_2TB_S59CNZFNA11845N-part1'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='sdc' bus='scsi'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='2'/>
    </disk>

This is a known issue with this version of libvirt, has persisted for a long time, and tbqh, I’m not sure why it’s still in the stable collection. The “fix” I’ve been using is to downgrade libvirt to 6.5.0-1 every time I issue a system update with:

pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/libvirt-6.5.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

I’m really hoping this post gets some attention and this issue finally gets fixed.

1 Like

Also hoping for the fix as soon as possible.

Some good news i found: couple of days Arch community got updated to 7.0: archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/libvirt/

and same version is now in unstable branch:
manjaro. org/branch-compare/

I’m a newbie in the community, so I’m not sure if i should ask for fast tracking things in this thread or not:

edit: Can’t add links, so delete the whitespace where necessary…
edit 2: Can add 2 links. Thanks Hanzel for helping a newbie out! :slight_smile:

Link for the readers convenience: Manjaro - Branch Compare