BUG: clicking on Manjaro's news notification icon sets Firefox home page to manjaro.org

Bug Description

Clicking on unread notifications on manjaro’s mtray to open and read the latest news
(as of today, [Stable Update] 2022-07-27 [Stable Update] 2022-07-29 - Kernels, Cinnamon, Haskell, Python, Virtualbox, Mesa) sets Firefox’s initial page for new windows to https://manjaro.org/.
I previusly had it set to Firefox startup page

• The change is immediate after firefox loads up, and does not happen until the interaction with matray
  • closing and reopening firefox does not undo the change
  • Clicking on already read notifications does not seem to change the startup page
  • I’m not sure if it’s due to this, but possibly DRM reproduction gets unchecked. I have reviewed my settings and nothing else seems changed.

info

(HW not included because i think it’s unrelated)

System:
  Kernel: 5.15.57-2-MANJARO arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 12.1.0
    parameters: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.15-x86_64
    root=UUID=0f0c8def-9989-4f0c-b2ac-fb7e60486f4d rw quiet apparmor=1
    security=apparmor udev.log_priority=3
  Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 5.24.6 tk: Qt v: 5.15.5 wm: kwin_x11 vt: 1 dm: SDDM
    Distro: Manjaro Linux base: Arch Linux
Firefox v103.0 (64 bit) 
Mozilla Firefox for Manjaro Linux 
Manjaro - 1.0

Both Sysyem language and firefox are set to Italian.

Hope i’m reporting this correctly.

Edit: today there was a new update, and having manjaro-browser-settings uninstalled when clicking on matray’s notification Firefox’s default page did NOT change. So the fix works.

Hi @jacopo,

While I don’t know mtray, I recommend matray for notifications. I use it, and it doesn’t have this problem. And it’s in the community repository:

$ pamac search matray
matray                                                                                                                                                                                                                       [Installed] 1.1.2-1  community
A Manjaro Linux announcements notification app

So can be install using:

pamac install matray

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Try removing the manjaro-browser-settings package. That’s the one that resets your browser’s home page to manjaro.org.

:arrow_down:

pacman -R manjaro-browser-settings

Its very close to malware when it overrides a users setting.

It’s not malware if it behaves as intended and as desired by certain members, although I will concede that for just as many other people, it’s a nuisance.

I don’t think I had to manually uninstall the package on my own system here — it’s been three years since I installed this machine, so I don’t really remember —but I believe the package is installed by default now, and that is not what I myself would have agreed to. Alas, I am not a developer. :man_shrugging:

The problem is either way easily remedied. :wink:

that’s the one i meant, i mispelled it.
I actually like matray and probably the problem was manjaro-browser-settings as suggested by @Aragorn . I will reopen the discussion if it happens again after uninstalling it, but looking more into it it’s probably that.
I personally did not even knew i had the browser settings package installed and by looking at what it does it’s almost certainly some sort of integration bug between matray and browser-settings.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.