Permissions could not be determined?

Do I need to permanately mount a drive to save & edit files on it. A text file can be opened but I can’t type in it.

Hi @Edward78,

Ignore me. What @kisun said.

What filesystem is the partition of said drive in? Check using:

sudo fdisk -l
1 Like

No, but you need the right to edit the files or should be the owner of the files.

You can use the programm ‘chmod’ to adjust the rights or ‘chown’ to set a new owner for the files. :grinning:

1 Like

How do I take ownership of the whole drive? Under drive properties no options are there?

Both @kisun and @Mirdarthos have valid answer. You should sudo fdisk -l to check your fileystem. Because filesystem like NTFS isn’t suitable for Linux (and NTFS doesn’t have Linux permission model). If your drive is Linux filesystem, like ext, it’s probably that your permission setting doesn’t have write permission.

For your tutorial:

3 Likes
chown --help

will give you a hint. For most I use:

sudo chown -R user:user /mount/point

But what @JiaZhang said was right too. chown/chmod only work on unix filesystems and its all good to have an understandig for that. :wink:

Crap, it is NTFS, fat32 a ok FS. Solus did ok with NTFS,

Ok, if its ntfs then probably windows fastboot is still enabled? :neutral_face:

… than back to @Mirdarthos suggestion! :wink:

In that case, boot into windows, disable fastboot, do a proper shutdown, and try again.

We’re playing tennis with the thread! :wink:

Just to note in here …
fat32 has a maximum filesize of 4gb … and is slow.
Dont use it unless absolutely required (like certain types of partitions)

For something easily shareable between windoze and linux you might want to use exfat format.

1 Like

Will GParted vonvert it & leabe the data alone? ExFar us grayed out in gparted, if I download the NFS daemon, that will work right?

I guess you can’t convert ntfs or fat to an unix fs without loosing the data.

So no! :frowning_face:

But you can do a backup of all the data (to an external drive), erase the disk while formating it with ext4 (for example) and than copy back the data to the new formated drive. :slightly_smiling_face:

But consider windows normally cant access unix filesystems!

Please keep in mind that work with ‘gparted’ on the disk can/will destroy all your data on that drive :bangbang:

ExFat is grayed out in gparted, if I download the NTFS daemon, that will work right?

Its probably greyed out because you still have it mounted.
Also … yes … any format operation will ‘wipe’ everything on that partition.

For linux to work with the ntfs partition you probably just need package ntfs-3g … and to make sure the partition is not encrypted by a windoze tool, or that fastboot is enabled, and that windoze is shutdown fully (by default it does not - it hibernates).

nfs means ‘network file system’ and the nfs deamon will give you the opportunity to share files over the network to other unix like computers.

A nfs deamon will not help you to write to your ntfs/fat formatted drive.

It is all ready installed, ya it is prob. windows. ExFat was still grayed when not mounetd. Is there a util to do a complete sys scan of windows from linux?

What is a sys scan (to you?)
What does it do (for you?)
or rather:
what do you hope it will do?

Windows acts like something is loading sometimes out of the blue & nothing responds, it does stop after a bit (minutes), I want to find out why & the dialog box that comes up when apps stop responding comes up & says that about Microsoft Windows.

That statement sounds like a riddle to me - I can’t decipher the meaning behind these words. :man_shrugging: