Login screen freezes after enterting password (still works for root user)

New Linux user
Manjaro stucks at login (freezes) as soon as login/username is filled in and “Enter” is pressed.
I have read this similar post from @borN_free
but I never used zsh, which was the problem for that user.

I have the same issue that when I log in to my user via tty it doesn´t recognize any bash commands. From root user, I ran chsh -s /bin/sh, and that allows me to use commands as my user in tty. But still doesn´t allow me to log in as user.

I have already tried updating the system running sudo pacman -Syu
I also tried logging in via startx, which is how I was able to login via root, but even if run startx from my user, it logs me in as root.

Would appreciate any help.

Iv got an open support thread that’s the same Freezing just after login, new installation

I can’t offer any help I’m afraid as I’m still stuck with it myself, but at least it gives me some hope that it might be a bug in manjaro and not just my computer.

1 Like

Is your /home partition separate from the root partition? Then check if that home partition is not corrupted.

Try something like fsck /dev/sda1 in tty

If that’s okay, then check whether you can navigate to /home using tty

thank you- I will check these.

system ~]# fsck /dev/sda1
fsck de util-linux 2.36.2
e2fsck 1.46.2 (28-Feb-2021)
fsck.ext2: No existe el fichero o el directorio mientras se intentaba abrir /dev/sda1
¿Es posible que no exista el dispositivo?

[system ~]# fsck /dev/sda
fsck.ext2: No existe el fichero o el directorio mientras se intentaba abrir /dev/sda

[system ~]# fsck /dev/sda2
fsck.ext2: No existe el fichero o el directorio mientras se intentaba abrir /dev/sda2

[system ~]# su usr
[usr@system root]$ fsck /dev/sda1

fsck.ext2: No existe el fichero o el directorio mientras se intentaba abrir /dev/sda1
[usr@system root]$ fsck /dev/sda2
fsck.ext2: No existe el fichero o el directorio mientras se intentaba abrir /dev/sda2

The message is: <The file or directory does not exist while /dev/sda1 was attempting to be opened. Is it possible that the file doesn’t exist?>

[usr@system root]$ cd home
bash: cd: home: Permiso denegado
[usr@system root]$

I cannot navigate to /home “permission denied”
I can look up a tutorial to how to fix this, just don´t know where to begin. from reading lots of other posts on similar issues, I think I have a problem regarding ownership for my user?