Login gets stuck and missing tray icons after TTY login

Sorry if this is the wrong spot to ask, but i can’t use my KDE after this update. Gui login gets stuck after login data input and enter. Tty startx works but kde seems to have permission issues. Missing wifi and tray icons in general. Also missing system icons. Anyone experiencing something like this? Having a luks encrypted setup on amd cpu and lenovo laptop

Try with a new user.

I created a new user in tty. Login via gui still resulted in the same freeze while login via tty works with the same symptoms. No tray icons, most system icons missing and no clock display in tray

Then we are pretty sure its not user configs.
There is something wrong with the core system such as missing dependencies, foreign packages, and permissions could still be at play I suppose.
I might suggest a full upgrade check

sudo pacman-mirrors -f && sudo pacman -Syu

Maybe print pacnews

pacdiff -o

Maybe check ‘foreign’ packages

pacman -Qm

Does it change something if I use yay? Will post the printouts in a bit

it told me that

manjaro-settings-manager-0.5.7-20-x86_64
manjaro-settings-manager-kcm-0.5.7-20-x86_64                                               
manjaro-settings-manager-knotifier-0.5.7-20-x86_64 

needs update, but doing so resulted in an error with no packages updated. I’m currently logged in via tty and did not execute the command in tty but my semi broke kde

pacdiff -o

/etc/shells.pacnew
/etc/default/grub.pacnew
/etc/pacman.conf.pacnew
/etc/pam.d/sddm.pacnew
/etc/pam.d/login.pacnew

pacdiff -Qm

birdtray 1.11.4-1
bitwig-studio 5.0.11-1
clockify-desktop 2.1.6-1
colorpicker 1.0.f5d441a-2
dash-static-musl 0.5.12-1
electron19 19.1.9-5
element-desktop-git 1.11.29.r16.g38dbd66474-1
element-web-git 1.11.29.r16.g38dbd66474-1
firefox-profile-switcher-connector 0.1.1-1
fnm 1.35.1-1
gst-plugins-pulseeffects-legacy-git 4.8.7.r2.gc12f42516-1
jdownloader2 latest-19
libsidplay 1.36.59-10
nodejs-lts-gallium 16.20.2-1
ocenaudio-bin 3.13.1-1
openal-hrtf 1.0-2
plymouth-theme-dark-planet-git r38.bf2f570-1
postman-bin 10.18.10-1
pulseeffects-legacy-git 4.8.7.r2.gc12f42516-1
systemd-fsck-silent 239-1
youtube-dl 2021.12.17-2
youtube-dl-gui 2.4.10-1

This one should not exist. I dont know if it is replacing regular systemd or not.
(the rest of the foreigners look like basic AUR packages)

sudo pacman -Syu systemd

which also brings us back to your errors. Please share whatever those might be.

These should be handled. Also a number could be related to your issue.

The manjaro wiki entry is here:

That’s the -Syu error message, it’s german but sais that the files exists in the filesystems which leads to a conflict

Fehler: Der Vorgang konnte nicht durchgeführt werden (In Konflikt stehende Dateien)
manjaro-settings-manager: /usr/bin/manjaro-settings-manager existiert im Dateisystem
manjaro-settings-manager: /usr/lib/kauth/msm_kernel_authhelper existiert im Dateisystem
manjaro-settings-manager: /usr/lib/kauth/msm_keyboard_authhelper existiert im Dateisystem
manjaro-settings-manager: /usr/lib/kauth/msm_language_packages_authhelper existiert im Dateisystem
manjaro-settings-manager: /usr/lib/kauth/msm_locale_authhelper existiert im Dateisystem
manjaro-settings-manager: /usr/lib/kauth/msm_mhwd_authhelper existiert im Dateisystem
manjaro-settings-manager: /usr/lib/kauth/msm_users_authhelper existiert im Dateisystem
manjaro-settings-manager: /usr/share/applications/manjaro-settings-manager.desktop existiert im Dateisystem

sorry I’m kinda new to the whole arch/manjaro/linux thing :smiley:
What should I do with the .pacnew?

…thats odd.
I dont know how you managed to replace those core files with ones not recognized by the package manager.

But it should be surmountable by

sudo pacman -Syu --overwrite '/usr/*'

You need to compare the pacnews to your existing options and merge the new standards.
This is often facilitated by a comparison tool like meld.
So, if you have meld installed, and assuming you didnt set the env vars …

DIFFPROG=meld pacdiff -s

should allow you to compare by using v (view) at each file prompt.

For more in-depth explanations please see the wiki or search the forum.
(there were discussions about pacnews ad-nauseam a while back when many new users confronted it for the first time when the [community] repo was removed. But it is a basic part of managing updates on Manjaro/Arch.)

sudo pacman -Syu --overwrite ‘/usr/*’

pacman -Syu --overwrite '/usr/*'                                                                                         ✔  root@lenovoManjaro 
:: Paketdatenbanken werden synchronisiert …
 core ist aktuell
 extra ist aktuell
 community ist aktuell
 multilib ist aktuell
:: Vollständige Systemaktualisierung wird gestartet …
Abhängigkeiten werden aufgelöst …
Nach in Konflikt stehenden Paketen wird gesucht …

Pakete (3) manjaro-settings-manager-0.5.7-20  manjaro-settings-manager-kcm-0.5.7-20  manjaro-settings-manager-knotifier-0.5.7-20

Gesamtgröße der installierten Pakete:  11,88 MiB

:: Installation fortsetzen? [J/n] j
(3/3) Schlüssel im Schlüsselbund werden geprüft                                                                                 [#############################################################################] 100%
(3/3) Paket-Integrität wird überprüft                                                                                           [#############################################################################] 100%
(3/3) Paket-Dateien werden geladen                                                                                              [#############################################################################] 100%
(3/3) Auf Dateikonflikte wird geprüft                                                                                           [#############################################################################] 100%
Fehler: Der Vorgang konnte nicht durchgeführt werden (In Konflikt stehende Dateien)
manjaro-settings-manager-knotifier: /etc/xdg/autostart/msm_kde_notifier.desktop existiert im Dateisystem
Fehler sind aufgetreten, keine Pakete wurden aktualisiert.

error again

That one wasnt included before.
Well … ‘geronimo’, as the yanks say.

sudo pacman -Syu --overwrite '*'

any way to apply the latest options? Afaik I do not have any special options

Do the comparisons.
There is technically the option to ‘overwrite’ which will just obliterate the existing file.
But … you dont usually want to do that. If there were not differences of options then the pacnew would not have been created.
The pacnew will provide what is an upstream standard. But your file may have things required for your system - such as your shell.

Thanks for your Support!
After installing meld via yay I started pacdiff -s with the following result when entering “view”

DIFFPROG=meld pacdiff -s                                                                                          ✔  6s   root@lenovoManjaro 
==> pacnew file found for /etc/shells
:: (V)iew, (M)erge, (S)kip, (R)emove pacnew, (O)verwrite with pacnew, (Q)uit: [v/m/s/r/o/q] v
sudoedit: Fehler bei der Validierung des Kontos, ist das Konto gesperrt?
sudoedit: Ein Passwort ist notwendig
sudo: Fehler bei der Validierung des Kontos, ist das Konto gesperrt?
sudo: Ein Passwort ist notwendig

it seems that I can’t use “su DIFFPROG=meld pacdiff -s” Neither su → enter password → DIFFPROG=meld pacdiff -s

seems still like a permission issue?

Looks like you are locked out of sudo … maybe due to too many failed password attempts?

You can look again with

faillock

or

sudo -v

Nope, I’m in my semi ■■■■■■ kde session and not tty. idk if that’s the reason. using my yakuate zsh for the commands and I’m tty logged in with my usual user

faillock                                                                                                                 ✔  root@lenovoManjaro 
christian:
When                Type  Source                                           Valid
sudo -v                                                                                                                  ✔  root@lenovoManjaro 
sudo: Fehler bei der Validierung des Kontos, ist das Konto gesperrt?
sudo: Ein Passwort ist notwendig

I see.
Well tty would not work as meld is a graphical application.
The error appears to be a problem with validation.
I usually assume that to be too many failed password attempts. But it could be related to your pacnews too I guess.

Ah yeah, that looks like a fail lock is not in place, but you still cannot validate.

Ok but for now I learned to keep my ■■■■■■■ .pacnews clean xD Any way to resolve my issue?

If you cannot use sudo
Can you drop to root (and do admin things from there)?

su -l