Login freezes when booting, can’t boot through ksh

This might be a bit dumb, but when setting up manjaro, I didn’t put a password so that I could just press the login button and login but still have that login screen. When I booted for the first time, the screen froze when I pressed login but I could still use my mouse. I think that the issue is that there’s something wrong with ksh(not 100% sure, just following a thread with the same problem) so I want to change it to bash. However, when I try and boot through ksh, it just says login incorrect. Is there a special key I have to press in order for it to register as blank space, and am I supposed to put my name or username? Should I just reinstall? Any help would be much appreciated.

Yeah, on Windows this would work, but I have never skip the password on linux. Instead you have to add a rule to bypass the password request. The thing is: If there is no password, then no login is possible. Maybe I am wrong…

alright, I’m redownloading it now, I’ll give you my results

I finally got it to boot, but it’s extremely slow(20+ minutes for desktop to appear) and my usb drive is burning up. Is it supposed to be that slow?

A full KDE Desktop on a slow Flash Drive… :smile: You need at least a SSD for decent performance there. Sorry, but KDE is a full-featured Desktop Enviroment like Windows 10. Use another DE like XFCE.

is there any way i can download a 32 bit or legacy? I just really like the look.

Manjaro has no support for 32bit. It is a rolling release, so there no legacy, it rolls and rolls.

If you need just the style, choose another Distro with a fixed release cycle and use the same style.

Arch has still 32bit: https://archlinux32.org/ or debian: Index of /debian-cd/current-live/i386/bt-hybrid

However… choosing a Distro because of the style is a bit silly, but who am I?

Alright, I installed xfce and it’s 100x more snappy, but it’s borderline unusable when entering things into the search bar and programs take forever to open. Is there any way I can improve performance? Also, my Mac is so old that the network doesn’t work and I believe I need different drivers. Where can I find them?
Edit: I think it may be proprietary vs open source drivers. Is there a way for me to choose whether to boot with open source or proprietary like the iso usb did?

So the real bottleneck is the flashdrive, right? Possible solutions:

1. Use f2fs on flash drives for better performence: Linux 5.0 File-System Benchmarks: Btrfs vs. EXT4 vs. F2FS vs. XFS - Phoronix
    But there are also downsides: fsck is weak and can lead to data loss on sudden power loss.
  2. Use tmpfs for temp and cached files. By default it uses 50% of your RAM for storages, so it is a ram disk.
  3. Reduce unnecessary services with systemctl which start at boot time.
  4. Use a faster flash drive.

That depends. If it not integrated into the kernel, then you can find it on the AUR or on Github as DKMS. At least this gives you more information about the chipset:

inxi -Nazy

Thanks, you’re a lifesaver, though I’m still having some problems with setting up WiFi.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.