Login Freeze on KDE

Hi,

After the last update, my session freeze after login.
The desktop launches, I can see my desktop icons, the taskbar and some system popup message but after that everything is frozen. I still can move the mouse and I’m able to change user by using ctrl+alt+del.

I have other users configured that are using the default kde desktop config and I’m able to connect with them and use normally the session. It is only my session that freezes.

I tried with a console session (ctrl+alt+F2) the command “startx”, had the same behavior and after login out session, I had the message on console:

Did the X11 server die?The X11 connection broke (error 1).

Is there a way to reinitialize my kde config to the default one like the other users, or something I can do?

Thanks for your help!

Hi @fhafha,

I have no idea if this’ll work, but have you tried flushing the cache?

rm ~/.config/Trolltech.conf
kbuildsycoca5 --noincremental

Optionally, empty the ~/.cache/ folder contents, however, this will also clear the cache of other applications:

rm -rf ~/.cache/*

Still have the same issue.

However I found out that yakuake console answers although the interface is frozen.

Using the Yakuake console, I’m even able to launch firefox and it runs normally.

I tired the following:

killall plasmashell
kstart5 plasmashell

and I had the following messages:

kf.plasma.quick: Applet preload policy set to 1
qt.svg: :303:258: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
qt.svg: :303:463: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
qt.svg: :303:659: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
qt.svg: :303:913: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
qt.svg: :303:1049: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
qt.svg: :303:1251: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
qt.svg: :303:1453: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
qt.svg: :303:1631: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
qt.svg: :303:1739: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
qt.svg: :303:1980: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
qt.svg: :303:2223: Could not add child element to parent element because the types are incorrect.
trying to show an empty dialog
file:///usr/share/plasma/shells/org.kde.plasma.desktop/contents/views/Desktop.qml:134:19: QML Loader: Binding loop detected for property “height”
file:///usr/share/plasma/shells/org.kde.plasma.desktop/contents/views/Desktop.qml:134:19: QML Loader: Binding loop detected for property “height”
Error: cannot change the containment to AppletsLayout
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.digitalclock/contents/ui/DigitalClock.qml:520:9: QML Label: Binding loop detected for property “height”
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.digitalclock/contents/ui/DigitalClock.qml:475:13: QML Label: Binding loop detected for property “height”
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.panel/contents/ui/main.qml:18:1: QML DropArea (parent or ancestor of QQuickLayoutAttached): Binding loop detected for property “minimumWidth”
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.digitalclock/contents/ui/DigitalClock.qml:475:13: QML Label: Binding loop detected for property “height”
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.digitalclock/contents/ui/DigitalClock.qml:520:9: QML Label: Binding loop detected for property “height”
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.digitalclock/contents/ui/DigitalClock.qml:542:5: QML Label: Binding loop detected for property “height”
Cyclic dependency detected between “file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/global/Globals.qml” and “file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/Notificati
onHeader.qml”
libkcups: CUPS-Get-Printers last error: 0 successful-ok
libkcups: Create-Printer-Subscriptions last error: 0 successful-ok
libkcups: Get-Jobs last error: 0 successful-ok
libkcups: Get-Jobs last error: 0 successful-ok
Plasma Shell startup completed
Error: cannot change the containment to AppletsLayout
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.private.systemtray/contents/ui/main.qml:17:1: QML MouseArea (parent or ancestor of QQuickLayoutAttached): Binding loop detected for property “minimumWidth”
Both point size and pixel size set. Using pixel size.
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.digitalclock/contents/ui/Tooltip.qml:54:9: QML GridLayout (parent or ancestor of QQuickLayoutAttached): Binding loop detected for property “minimumWidth”
libkcups: 3 “Canon_MG6800_series”
libkcups: 3 “MG6800-series”
libkcups: 0
libkcups: 0
QFont::setPointSizeF: Point size <= 0 (0.000000), must be greater than 0
org.kde.plasma.pulseaudio: No object for name “alsa_output.pci-0000_0a_00.3.analog-stereo.monitor”

Is there any clue in this?

Something, I don’t know what, but something is outta wack.

Since Yakuake works, try syncing the system again. You can do this by updating:

pamac update --force-refresh

See what that spits out.

Here what it says (sorry the language is french):

pamac update --force-refresh
Préparation…
Clonage des fichiers de construction de libretro-genesis-plus-gx-git…
Création des informations de libretro-genesis-plus-gx-git…
Vérification des dépendances de libretro-genesis-plus-gx-git…
Vérification des dépendances de libmagick6…
Clonage des fichiers de construction de teamviewer…
Création des informations de teamviewer…
Vérification des dépendances de teamviewer…
Synchronisation des bases de données des paquets…
Actualisation de core.db…
Actualisation de extra.db…
Actualisation de community.db…
Actualisation de multilib.db…
Actualisation de core.files…
Actualisation de extra.files…
Actualisation de community.files…
Actualisation de multilib.files…
Avertissement : manjaro-hello : la version locale (0.6.7-2) est plus récente que extra (0.6.6-9)
Résolution des dépendances…
Recherche des conflits entre paquets…
À construire (3):
libmagick6 6.9.12.29-1 (6.9.12.23-1) AUR
libretro-genesis-plus-gx-git 1868.c1c605e-1 (1859.22b60cd-1) AUR
teamviewer 15.23.9-1 (15.22.3-1) AUR
Éditer les fichiers de construction : [e]
Appliquer la transaction ? [e/o/N]

the 3 AUR packet gives me an error:

DPKGBUILD does not exist

but I don’t think it’s related to my issue.

After a while, the desktop started to respond normally, don’t have any idea why.
Some windows popped up, as if it had restored a previous session and then everything was normal and the interface was answering normally.
I have not rebooted yet to see if it behaves the same.

Hello,

It looks like I’m experiencing the exact same problems following the last update too.

Did you find a fix?

Hi,

What is output of journalctl -p 3 -b when this issue appears?

If you need to restart after this issue, then show the log journalctl -p 3 -b -1

Hi, I have the same issue. The output of journalctl -p 3 -b is

Nov 28 07:43:22 kafka kernel: x86/cpu: VMX (outside TXT) disabled by BIOS
Nov 28 07:43:22 kafka kernel: pci 0000:00:07.0: DPC: RP PIO log size 0 is invalid
Nov 28 07:43:22 kafka kernel: pci 0000:00:07.2: DPC: RP PIO log size 0 is invalid
Nov 28 07:43:22 kafka dhcpcd[337]: no valid interfaces found
Nov 28 07:43:23 kafka systemd-udevd[272]: could not read from '/sys/module/pcc_cpufreq/initstate': No such device

Try to change back to default theme, if it works.

Hi,

I didn’t find any fix, a long time after login it came back to life (maybe 1 or 2 hours).
As the other users didn’t have any issues, I switched the KDE theme to default in the settings.

Since then I didn’t have any issue.