The benefit of this is it will reduce start-up time. Login screen will be displayed... even if the user not entered the password, the last logged in user before shutdown will be logged in in the background.
As soon as you enter the password you will find the desktop is ready. This feature is there in Windows 10. I got the idea from there.

Are you sure?

I think your Windows system is using Windows Fastboot - which is loading the previous session from disk.

4 Likes

Though still an interesting idea of sorts ...
initialize autlogin ... but also automatically initialize screenlock.
Ensure that things like wallet are opened by first unlock.
Wouldnt work with encryption .. or at least not the same ..
but .. 'interesting' ..

1 Like

Yes I'm sure. After receiving your message I've checked. I turned off fast start-up in Windows 10. Then I restarted the PC. (This PC only has windows 10). I noticed that, the log in screen appears after every thing is loaded. I typed my pin as soon as possible and just after I pressed enter I could see the desktop ready. (Don't think that the laptop is super fast. It's an old laptop of my family.)

Have a read here

there is another method i mentioned after, just for KDE Plasma.

3 Likes

Yes I'm using KDE

Oh. I see what he is saying. Have the DE startup automatically, not upon login. As a dual-booter, it is not that Windows logs you in automatically, @Alif. Windows just automatically starts the desktop environment in the background as part of the boot process. Your files, etc are ready likely because you are the only user, so explorer.exe doesn't have to load multiple profiles, thus your desktop is ready within seconds upon login. So what you are saying is, instead of waiting for the desktop to start up after you log in on Linux, have it do something similar to Windows. It could be done.

1 Like

I'm not using dual boot. It was another pc. In that PC there was 2 users. when I restarted in order to test; the DE was available just after I entered my pin.

I don't get the point of this really don't.
Windows takes 15 secs to login screen then another 10s to load a fully usable desktop.
Gnome takes 6secs to login screen 2sec to load to a fully usable desktop.
Am i missing something 8sec against 25 why would Linux want to mimic windows?

1 Like

I'm not using gnome. I'm using KDE. It takes 1 minute 16 seconds to appear the login screen. After I enter my password it takes another 50 seconds to get the desktop ready. If I'm doing another job and come to the computer after a while, the 50 seconds could be saved if it loaded without password. still then I have to wait for 50 seconds.

And if I wake up computer from HIBERNATE, it takes literally double time to start and the desktop to be smoothly usable.
Maybe your computer is fast and you're using gnome...

It takes about 5 seconds for me on both my laptop and desktop for both KDE and Openbox, but maybe it's because I'm using an SSD and you're possibly not? It also takes 20 secs or less for me to get to the login screen in the first place.

The only thing I can think of is make your display manager automatically log you into the system, then have a service that autolocks your screen at the initial log in.

1 Like

Thank you. You gave a good idea.

You are right. I use HDD.

Personally, I do not think it'd be great because can become a security issue, more so for people who don't know what it actually entails. If the display manager automatically logs in, and someone is able to somehow interrupt the service, then the computer wouldn't lock.

Also, computer with multiple different users could have different services per user. Having this kind of option in Calamares could confuse users who try to add other users later on. Because it makes 1 user automatically logged in already.

Other options to speed up logging in is to run minimal versions of ISOs, which typically has less services. Or run other DEs that have faster bootups, such as LXQt, i3, openbox (from my experience). You can also go hunt for services and programs you don't believe need to automatically start up, and disable them.

2 Likes

I wasn't talking about login and then lock screen. :confused: I was saying that --

It will just load the processes and DE etc. It will not unlock for a while. Just without password the last user's desktop will load to save time. It is helpful for those who want beautiful DE like KDE and ther computer is not so fast.

As I said earlier, the only solution on Linux that I can think of is:

This means, that the Display Manager automatically logs you in with your credentials, then a service initiates the Session Locker immediately at that initial login to lock your screen / session. This means a user is automatically already logged into the system. This would not be good for a multi user setup though.

Also, this would be bad for users that use multiple DEs on one system.

Also, this isn't my experience personally. It takes longer for me to log into my Windows 10 partition than my KDE or Openbox partitions. All using similar SSDs. I do run minimal versions on Linux though, with minimal services initiating.

1 Like

I used windows 10 before Linux in the Same computer. Now I removed windows 10 and using :sparkling_heart: Linux :sparkling_heart:. Now I really love :love_letter: Linux. It seemed to me that Windows 10 boot a bit faster than Linux. And Windows wake up from hibernate faster than Linux.
So decided to write the post. If it could make Manjaro better :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:.

Keep in mind every PC is different, thus your boot times differ. How fast would Manjaro load on that PC? How fast would Windows load on the other PC? Just something to think about. For me, both OS’s load in relatively the same amount of time. Manjaro is faster by about 1 min30s. Unless of course Windows has just done its updates. Then it’s more like 10min LOL. It could also be something is slowing up your Manjaro boot. You can check with systemd-analyze --blame

I really appreciate the sentiment. I to, enjoy Manjaro. Which is why I feel bad about writing this but:

You’d probably have to ask KDE directly about implementing such a feature. I don’t know if Manjaro dev team can tweak the desktop environment like that. Just saying.

In contrast to Windows, the Linux desktop has had a different history - and this is one of the quirks of Linux that you are experiencing - there is a separation of the Display Manager (the login screen that you see) and the Desktop Environment (the "stuff" that you wait for loading after logging in).

This is mainly due to (I think) Linux's history of supporting multiple DE's and maintaining the ability to segregate the duty of login vs the DE. In Windows there is no such distinction. When you boot Windows, you are getting one and only one "DE". Windows can load that in the background while the login screen is shown because they know you'll be doing that eventually. Windows's graphical shell is a system "root" process whereas in Linux it is a user process.

In contrast, the Linux DM doesn't know for sure which DE is going to be loaded. For instance, I can launch Plasma (X11) or Plasma (Wayland) from the same login screen. Not to mention different users can launch different DE's.

But ultimately I think the real heart of it comes down to the fact that in Linux the DE is an "add-on" which is seen as an optional thing to be loaded - so it hasn't been built in a method to be able to be automatically pre-loaded. You'll always have to log in before launching the graphical shell.

I think that's spot on.

In the early days we booted DOS and started Windows (win.exe), so the OS and the DE was separate then (and even earlier there were several competing desktop environments for DOS, Gem was prettier than Windows, but couldn't multitask :stuck_out_tongue:)

I think Micro$oft merged the OS and the desktop about the time Compaq acquired DEC, and some of the VMS research staff jumped ship and started on Windows NT for Microsoft (which means NT was very much based on VMS, the OS that ran on VAX computers). The merging of OS and DE was purely for performance reasons if I remember right.

1 Like

:heart:
If Linux OSs could find a way... For Personal Comuters...
I have a dream that one day Linux OSs will be the best in all aspects and beat any other OS. And the community of users will make this true...
:innocent:

Forum kindly sponsored by