Locked myself out of passwd

So bacically i went to passwd on terminal and i changed the password. Next thing i write the password and it says it is incorrect. Is there any way to get my password back or do I reinstall everything again? And also I know my account password.It’s just the terminal password.

Try this :

faillock --reset --user <username>

Or

passwd (to change your password again)

I’m sorry, but you’re not making any sense. There is no such thing as a terminal password.

I’m afraid you’re going to have to be more specific about what exactly you have done.

You are right…i tried to guess…and gave some potential solutions :slight_smile:

1 Like

But when i start up my computer it gives me acces but when it comes to terminal it locks me.

I’m guessing that you mean that when the computer boots, you are automatically logging into the desktop? If so, then that’s due to an autologin mechanism ─ the different desktop environments each have different implementations of that mechanism.

That however said, I still don’t see what you mean with that terminal business. Are you talking of a terminal window or are you talking about a full-screen tty?

Thank you, i did faillock --reset and it works.

i done faillock --reset

Great, do not forget to click on “solution”, thanks

wait it did it again. reset my password again.

ill restart my system

I already did that for him. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You are too fast for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

I restarted my computer. Put the password and it’s fine. go to terminal and type su -l and type my password. It says su: Auth Failure

If you do su -l, you have to type your root password, not your user password.

done that, i done su as well and it dosent work and been using multiple terminal emulators. rn doing everything i can.

Try :

sudo passwd root

→ Type first your user password, then choose a new root password

you absolute legend. thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.