LMDE is pretty solid.

Well, the computer where I first began my Manjaro journey has been changed to Linux Mint’s Debian Edition. Lately, I only use that desktop once in a blue moon and I got tired of having to do an update every time I booted it. I still have Manjaro on my main laptop, and am loving every second of it. No plans to switch there.

That being said, I am in awe of how solid LMDE 3 is. I only had to make a minor adjustment to network manager.conf and then I was up and running. Not bad for what is essentially a pure Debian fork from 2017. The software repos and flatpak support all work out of the box, and shockingly I got the latest cinnamon after the initial update. Compared to the standard release where everything stays pretty much the same. I’m really impressed with how stable and solid it is. (I know, Debian stability should be a given but you’d be surprised how many people run into issues.)

I’ll be sure to give the Mint team kudos on their forum as well, but I just wanted to share with you all, in case you have a machine lying around where rolling doesn’t cut it, and you want an Ubuntu-free experience. It’s not that I don’t like Ubuntu, it’s just I really, really do not want to do upgrades 3 times a year. Particularly on something that only starts up once or twice a month.

Cheers!

2 Likes

I ran an LMDE once .. no issues with it .. except for after every release of LMDE they say the project is being discontinued :laughing:

2 Likes

I ran the first LMDE release on btrfs for a long time before I came to Manjaro. Ran great until they abandoned it without an upgrade path. That was kinda sh!tty.

1 Like

I guess LMDE 4 will be the final one then :wink:

1 Like

I seems like their level of focus and support on LMDE is tied to their current level of comfort with Ubuntu's viability and direction. Feels like that comfort is currently on the low side which means LMDE focus is on the high side. :grin:

In truth, the foresight to put in the effort to maintain a second version of their distro as an insurance policy against upstream shifts is pretty impressive to begin with.

3 Likes

Again, no issue with the thing. I think its generally good.
It's actually one of those 'hurrah for anarchy moments' because .. thats the only thing keeping it going .. some dedicated individuals and community despite what the rest is doing.
And because its good it keeps being kept up, and Mint has to keep bringing it back in to the fold.
Its kinda funny, but kinda beautiful.

4 Likes

Haha. Yeah. I find it kinda annoying that they give users constant heart attacks on it. I don’t think they will ever completely discontinue it, but that’s just me. I suppose I could always jump to Sparky if they did drop the project. Which I hope they don’t.

1 Like

If you want to run a really good Debian desktop, I highly recommend MX Linux. Sorry for the off-topic debian comment... :cry:

3 Likes

Eh. MX is decent but I’m not a fan of the GNOME-like desktop. I also had serious install issues with another computer. This was a few years ago so maybe things have changed. I’ll keep it in mind.

Why? We are literally discussing Debian based distros. You have contributed to the discussion, not disrupted it. :smiley:

1 Like

But MX Linux is not using systemd:
" MX Linux ships with systemd present but disabled by default. The MX Linux team strongly urges users to remain with this configuration which uses sysvinit instead." Source: https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/systemd/

This is a pretty strong deviation from debian.

1 Like

I wonder if they’ll rebase to Devuan sometime in the future. They still technically count as a Debian distro since they are using Debian buster as their base. It must be a lot of work converting all that stuff to run without systemd though.

https://mxlinux.org/current-release-features/

Edit: Strange stuff like this is part of why I chose Mint over MX

3 Likes

I agree. MX Linux is basically more a devuan derivative and not so much debian.

1 Like

The answer to that is no.... there are NO plans for MX to rebase to anything other than Debian. systemd is an option for anyone who wants it, they invested in and maintain the systemd shim.

@mbod you should try sometime suggesting your concept on MX, they'll likely hand your head to you.

1 Like

Gotcha. I’m not saying they should rebase. That was just speculation. I get that systemd is optional and am by no means criticizing MX or saying they have to use systemd or be considered Devuan based. I just prefer LMDE because of the Cinnamon desktop. And I found the sysvinit to be a little odd at first, but I’m not saying it’s bad. Taking all facts into consideration, there are plenty of reasons why people choose not to use systemd. I also figured that it must take work to make “the shim” work. But then again, everything takes work to work in programming. So that was kinda a dumb statement on my part.

1 Like

My only gripe with LMDE is the ISO not being rebuilt between releases. Given the length of time between LMDE releases, it's a major issue.

If you have newer hardware than the ISO can handle, you are screwed and have to use the normal Mint or another distribution instead. Debian do the point releases for that exact reason, they contain updated LTS kernels with back-ported support for the new hardware. The time saved downloading other updates is just a bonus.

2 Likes

I forget how many releases ago I tried LMDE for my wife, who likes stable software. I think it was v 2. Anyway it (LMDE) was inactive enough that she wanted something else... :wink: She, my 91 year old dad and my sister ~65 all are happy with MX. I love the MX/antiX team and what they do on MX and antiX but I run on bspwm... which is much happier on and arch-based rolling release. Besides I've been here since v 0.81 (I think).

2 Likes

LMDE is an interesting distro. Clem rolled it out as a possible contingency in light of the turbulence within Canonical at the time. It's a user driven distro and was intended for development and testing by the users. I didn't see as much enthusiasm from the community as I had hoped. I haven't followed it since the early days of LMDE. Glad you like it.

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by