Little scared of rolling releases.

I have never used an arch based (rolling release) linux so here are my basic question (they may have been asked before)-

1. What happens if I don't update for let's say a month?
    2.how large is each update (I mean like is it like 2 GBS each cause I don't have that much internet)
    3.everyone says arch can have random error and won't open without many troubleshoots. will this happen in manjaro too?

4.just a random ques- what are the best free to play games on Linux which run without any trouble?

You can get into troubles on the long run.

Is not a fixed size, so it depends. Best is to read the announcements and that provides all the information needed.
https://forum.manjaro.org/c/announcements/stable-updates/60

I never said that, hence the statement is false. :stuck_out_tongue: :rofl:
On a more serious note, there is nothing in this world that is perfect, hence issues can appear. Manjaro has unstable and testing branches to hunt down and fix all the issues discovered, so by the time those updates arrive in stable, the system should work as expected.

No clue about games, but you will receive a fair reply on that soon. :slight_smile:

Welcome to Manjaro!

8 Likes

You'll have a bigger update the next time ─ although, that said, I wouldn't advise waiting five years before updating. If you wait too long, then you might run into breakage. Major updates for the Manjaro Stable branch only come once or twice per month anyway.

It depends on how much you've got installed. The more software you have on your system, the bigger the update will be. But it does vary considerably.

That said, the dowloads themselves aren't necessarily that large, due to the fact that the packages are all compressed with zstd ─ earlier it was with xz but zstd offers better compression and faster decompression for the same compression ratio.

Manjaro isn't Arch, or at least not when it comes to the Stable branch. Manjaro Unstable corresponds to Arch Stable, but Manjaro takes a little longer to test and bundle the packages.

All in all, I would say that Manjaro Stable is just about the most solid rolling-release distribution out there. I've been using it as my daily driver for almost a year now and I haven't had any major problems with it so far. There are point-release distributions that have more problems than what you'll encounter in Manjaro. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

In my experience with rolling relesaes (which amounts to a couple of months with Manjaro, haha), they aren't ''unstable'' in the sense that you'll lose data, or that your installation will be screwed up.

The only areas of ''unstableness'', for me, has been audio/video and power management. What happens when for example resuming from sleep, can change with each update. Sometimes it won't wake properly, sometimes your hdmi audi is missing until a reboot, sometimes video files take a long time to open and may play garbled for a few seconds, and so on. In my case, those are mostly nVidia related.

I've experienced totally missing audio only once, and that was easily fixed by reverting to an LTS kernel.

I get the scared part, happened to me as well. It is a good idea to read a lot here, you pick up a lot of info. Just remember that on a forum devoted to fixing peoples problems, what you'll see is peoples problems!

2 Likes

A reboot is always recommended after an update that affects system libraries.

3 Likes

Yes, but what I'm talking about in that case is having to reboot after resume from sleep.

1 Like

Here are some tips for safe updating:

1. Always do a full update before installing new software.
  2. Do not update straight away when you get notified of new updates, wait a day or so.
  3. Read the forum announcement regarding the update, take note if there are special procedures required, look at the poll, and read about the problems people had with that particular update.
  4. Avoid using the GUI wrapper (Pamac or Octopi) for updating. They are convenient for searching and installing new software, but it is generally safer to update using sudo pacman -Syu in the terminal. For updating AUR packages, Pamac is fine, or use yay.
  5. To be extra safe, it is a good idea to log out and do the update in the TTY, especially if you've skipped several big updates, and especially if the announcement tells you to do it that way!
  6. Always reboot after an update.

In my experience, skipping updates for a month or two is fine, as long as you're careful when updating. There was a period at the end of last year and early this year when I was out of commission due to an accident and unable to update my desktop Manjaro (I regularly updated my laptop) for about 2 or 3 months. I skipped maybe 3 or 4 stable updates. When it was finally time to update, it was a bit scary (I believe the technical term for this is "YOLO update" :joy: ). I updated in the TTY, (logged out of the graphical session first, then switched to TTY2 and ran sudo pacman -Syu). It took almost an hour to update, but in the end, everything was fine, there were no problems.

A difference between Manjaro stable and Arch is that on Manjaro you get fewer but bigger updates, so updating might feel a bit more scary. But if you follow the points above, you should be fine in almost 100% of cases. A nice thing about Manjaro (and especially Arch) is that when things break, it is typically your fault and you know exactly what you did to cause it, which is a very good clue in figuring out how to fix it (also, when asking questions on forums, it really helps to explain what happened!). When I was using Ubuntu, things would just break at random (not very often, because Ubuntu does not update nearly as much) and when that happened it was a huge pain to figure out how to fix the problems without knowing what exactly caused them. On Manjaro, this is much easier, so you maybe sacrifice a tiny bit of stability for having a lot more control over your computer.

6 Likes

A lot of things in life are rolling - in fact most of them.

• if you don't maintain your house - it will - eventually - fall down on you.
  • driving a car - the other drivers in the traffic - rolling into you

Don't put too much into it - it is as safe as you make it.

8 Likes

How much is your monthly data allowance?

1 Like

People on internet plans with restrictive monthly data usage caps are probably better off using a less frequently updated Long Term Support distribution than a rolling one. Debian is the obvious choice here.

3 Likes

Entropy.

2 Likes

Also.

1 Like

Usually somewhere in the 1 gb range. Can be more can be less, approximately every couple of weeks. Not updating for a month is usually fine though it's best to run them within a day or two. Updating less frequently than monthly is playing with fire and if that is your intention I would advise using a different distro.

Random and subjective, Warframe maybe? You decide what you want to play.

1 Like

A rolling-release distro is the wrong choice.

3 Likes

Linux games. I don't do many native linux games. But one I play every now and then is FreeCiv, a Civilization clone.

For games, I mostly play Steam games. Some have Linux support. But you can still play a lot of windows games with Steams Proton 5.0.

Everything has been covered.

Forum kindly sponsored by