Linux54 redundant after linux510 a lts version?

Hi all :slight_smile:

the update from yesterday went through very smoothly. again: Great :grin: :upside_down_face: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

After I saw, that the linux510 kernel is also LTS, I wanted to remove the old linux54. But Manjaro complains, that deleting is impossible due to its long term status.

Do I simply have to accept that, or is there a way, that I don’t know?

Thanx & kind regards,
Peer

You need to be running the 5.10 kernel when removing the 5.4 kernel. Maybe you were still running 5.4 when you tried to remove it.

However, it may be a good idea to keep two kernels. If somehow your computer stops responding during a 5.10 kernel upgrade, it would fail to start with the 5.10 kernel, but you can reboot with the 5.4 kernel to rescue the system.

This is why I don’t update the two kernels simultaneously. I first update all packages including kernel 5.10, but skip the kernel 5.4 update. Then I reboot, check if everything works, and then install the update for kernel 5.4.

Once my computer stopped responding during a kernel update (too many programs were running), and afterwards I had to reinstall due to a kernel panic.

2 Likes

Doubtful.
You cannot however remove the currently running kernel.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply :slight_smile:

I am using the 5.12.8 kernel, since I have pretty new HW (Ryzen 4700, 2-in-1 laptop) and I wait for a still unsupported feature (automatic screen rotation).

Installed are 5.12 (smoothly running), 5.11, 5.10 (LTS) and 5.4 (LTS), so that 5.4 seems to be redundant to me.

A very good idea, thanks :+1: !

Fortunately that never happened … yet.

Hi, thank you :slight_smile: As I said beforehand, currently 5.12.8:

uname -a ; mhwd-kernel -li ; sudo mhwd-kernel -r linux54
Linux xxxx 5.12.8-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri May 28 19:32:35 UTC 2021 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Currently running: 5.12.8-1-MANJARO (linux512)
The following kernels are installed in your system:
   * linux510
   * linux511
   * linux512
   * linux54
Prüfe Abhängigkeiten...
Fehler: Konnte den Vorgang nicht vorbereiten (Kann Abhängigkeiten nicht erfüllen)
:: Entfernen von linux54 verletzt Abhängigkeit 'linux54', benötigt von linux-lts

Ups, sry for the German error message. It says: “Errror: Could not prepare the operation (Cannot fulfill dependencies) :: Removing of linux54 violates dependency ‘linux54’, required by linux-lts

First remove this package:

That message says linux54 cannot be uninstalled due to a package named linux-lts requiring it.
That package is no longer part of the repositories - remove it.

I personally try to keep at least 2 kernels: the latest lts (when proven to be working fine for longer time) and the newest release, so at the moment I have 5.12 (working) and 5.10 (just in case).

For a some time I kept 5.4 because 5.10 was burdened with some issues but now that it’s all ironed out, I removed 5.4.

Having 2 kernels is safer, however, in my 8-year experience with Manjaro, I only needed once to switch to a different kernel (due to interrupted kernel update), where I resumed update and then could come back to the current kernel.
Sometimes different kernels are a way to test if some hardware problems are not caused by the kernel version - rarely happens thou.

More important is to have a few system backups than a few kernels, but it’s a good practice on a rolling release, because you can never know.

Thank you and @freggel.doe! Due to some strange reason, I simply did not realize, that this was simply a package dependency :flushed:

Of course it worked out as expected :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.