Linux mistakes my Vega 10 for Vega 3

I have AMD Ryzen 7 2700U which has Vega 10 integrated, and from what I know it cant even come with Vega 3. But for some reason KDEs System Information, glxinfo and other software Ive checked say I have Vega 3.

green@Arr ~> glxinfo -B | grep "Vega"
    Device: AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 3 Graphics (RAVEN, DRM 3.40.0, 5.10.59-1-MANJARO, LLVM 12.0.1) (0x15dd)
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 3 Graphics (RAVEN, DRM 3.40.0, 5.10.59-1-MANJARO, LLVM 12.0.1)

[wanted to include screenshot from KDEs system information but apparently I cant insert any images nor links here :pensive: ]

Is there a way to fix this? Not only does it look weird, I am also worried I may have worse performance because of this.
Also why did this happen? I am not sure but from what I recall I had no such issue in my previous manjaro-kde installation.

Im new to this forum so sorry for any mistakes I may have made. Also sorry if there actually was somewhere a similar issue but I have no idea what to search for in this case, and Ive already wasted entire previous night searching for this.

Welcome here, @Daruyami :tada:

What is the output of

inxi -Gza

Hello @Daruyami :wink:

Here is for example a list of device ids: mesa-drm/amdgpu.ids at master · freedesktop/mesa-drm · GitHub

Please check your deviceid.

On the command which @Wollie provides, there is the chipid displayed.

green@Arr~> inxi -Gza                                                                                                                                                             06:51
Graphics:  Device-1: AMD Raven Ridge [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series] vendor: Lenovo driver: amdgpu v: kernel 
           bus-ID: 03:00.0 chip-ID: 1002:15dd class-ID: 0300 
           Device-2: Chicony Integrated Camera type: USB driver: uvcvideo bus-ID: 3-2:2 chip-ID: 04f2:b61e class-ID: 0e02 
           serial: <filter> 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 compositor: kwin_x11 driver: loaded: amdgpu display-ID: :0 screens: 1 
           Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1920x1080 s-dpi: 96 s-size: 508x285mm (20.0x11.2") s-diag: 582mm (22.9") 
           Monitor-1: eDP res: 1920x1080 hz: 60 dpi: 158 size: 309x174mm (12.2x6.9") diag: 355mm (14") 
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon Vega 3 Graphics (RAVEN DRM 3.40.0 5.10.59-1-MANJARO LLVM 12.0.1) v: 4.6 Mesa 21.1.6 
           direct render: Yes 

15DD C3 is both for Vega 3 and Vega 10 :rofl:

Yeah. It happens on my Ryzen 2700U laptop too. :wink:

Do you know how to correct it to Vega 10? Does that have any setbacks or is it purely visual?

It seems to be purely visual.

The change in device ID’s in mesa happened about 12 months ago and was first included in libdrm 1.4.103.

And the 15DD C3, seems to be the only one that’s mentioned twice. Seems like a bug to me.

I guess it is purely visual. If the device id is the same, then you can assume that the chips are rather identical, vega 10 has maybe more power, but internally they work the same way.

The fact that they work similarly enough to have the same id is kinda… disappointing, well at least good to know that there shouldnt be any setbacks because of that

Edit
Somehow missed Strits message: Yeah it also sounds kinda sus to me but s’long as it works

Reported as an issue:

1 Like

guess now gotta wait and see how it turns out :slight_smile:

Edit: as there is still no new activity in the issue above I tried just forking it, removing the line with Vega 3 and compiling it myself and now I finally have Vega 10 in my laptop lol
before:
after:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.