Linux Mint 20 making changes to apt to avoid forcing snapd

The problem is that with the latest release of Ubuntu, packages are being moved to snap. So you install chromium from the repos and it installs snapd if it is not present and then installs the chromium snap.

3 Likes

Alright. I guess i hadn't fully understood the implication of this move by Ubuntu. That is indeed problematic.

1 Like

Oh! Til now i'd not been aware that you were aware that we are aware that you were very well aware. I learn so much in this forum... though sometimes i feel wary.

5 Likes

Yeah, one learns as long as one lives. Or the other way around!

1 Like

Oh no, but i'm dead for a year for tax reasons. Woe is me.

2 Likes

We gonna miss you!

2 Likes

I'm not quite dead.
I'm getting better.
I feel fine.
I'm going for a walk n...
Thwack!

2 Likes

We are all not quite dead, not yet, but gravitating towards.

I suspect you might perchance be missing my references.
:hugs:

3 Likes

Apparently I did. Shame on me!
:blush:

3 Likes

I truly support Linux Mint doing this. Snaps and the direction of Canonical are the reason I can no longer recommend them to anyone. LMDE is awesome and I hope they just continue building off of Debian instead of Ubuntu from here on out unless Ubuntu changes directions soon.

5 Likes

Here is a follow-up article on the "snap" saga....

2 Likes

Even if you put aside the absurdly misleading title, that article completely fails to address the actual issue. This isn't a war between containerized and non-containerized software philosophies. Linux Mint ships with full support for flatpak.

It is about two things:

• Installing a repo package should never transparently install snapd and the associated snap
  • There are concerns with snap that are more about privacy and control than containerization
7 Likes

Or perhaps... it is ubuntu who wants to talk past the topic while claiming they are interested in 'negotiation'. Either way, I think we can expect a statement from Clem.... :wink:

1 Like

ZDNet's Linux articles are always spiced up to create drama.

2 Likes

Iā€™m a little concerned about this java based malware they wrote about.

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by