Linux in Windows , might be good news..

I disagree with this article : https://itsfoss.com/windows-linux-kernel-wsl-2/

• W$ with Linux means devs shall code linux apps
  • GNU/Linux distros shall discover that beyong project there can be a product

And as some distros (like Manjaro ^^) are really very efficient, this might be ultimate good news :wink:

4 Likes

Big Bad World

So Windows (WSL) is gonna use a kernel that was released in the end of 2016 (over 2 years old now).

I wonder why they didn't go for one of the newer LTS's, like 4.19....

You (MS) only use really stable software at all times. :joy::crazy_face::rofl:

Actually the original link in first post is wrong.
Official Microsoft resource https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/announcing-wsl-2/ says it should be 4.19 Kernel.

In initial builds we will ship version 4.19 of the kernel.

I am guessing whether Microsoft will be a DE for a Linux? :laughing:

2 Likes

Thanks. That makes more sense. :slight_smile:

Anyhow, at this stage, wsl is wine the other way around :wink:

Hello,

Maybe I'm wrong, but why would you use windows to use Linux, when you can just use linux. I may make windows users mad, but The more code that goes into windows, I have this bad feeling that one day MS is going to pull a Sun and try and say that Linux infringed on their code. Let's not forget that MS funded the Sun lawsuit against Linux and is still making companies pay a royalty fee to them for code they never proved was infringed upon.

Now that they have paid millions to be part of the Linux Consortium, they could easily claim that Linux is doing something wrong. After 30yrs of being a windows tech and knowing how they operate, The 3E's are not there just because it sounds good. It what they live by. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.
:grinning::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::kiss::lipstick:

Thanks I forgot to put the pig LOL

3 Likes

In my case, at work I get handed a windows laptop. If I want to run zsync, perl, docker, git command line, it is all easier in WSL than trying the Windows way.

3 Likes

Finally, a valid use-case! :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

Top 10 Companies making changes to the Linux Kernel (2017):

• Intel
  • Red Hat
  • Linaro
  • IBM
  • Samsung
  • SUSE
  • Google
  • AMD
  • Renesas
  • Microsoft

"Linux runs 90 percent of the public cloud workload, 82 percent of the world's smartphones, 62 percent of the embedded market, oh and a mere 99 percent of the supercomputer market."

3 Likes

So what does this mean for Linux users now that Microsoft is trying to integrate the Linux kernel into Windows? I don't know much what this will do for Windows, other than perhaps giving it the same terminal.

well two kernels running at same time
you can guess the results.

It means next to nothing to Linux users IMO. It means from a little, to something, to Win devs wishing to port apps to Linux. But TBH I know jack sh*t so...

Wouldn't that be nice, huh

Well, i would think that microsoft is trying to undercut linux desktop use. Seems like the next step in overthrowing linux as the go to system for work machines. Also, i think it would provide them the justification they need to convince manufacturers to build windows machines that can't be purged of windows and run with linux exclusively instead.

1 Like

As I wrote in the other thread, this is good news for me.

In my case, at work I get handed a windows laptop. If I want to run zsync, perl, docker, git command line, it is all easier in WSL than trying the Windows way.

I already run WSL at work, and their old kernel has never been a problem so far, but a newer, more mainline kernel cannot be other than a good thing. I may not notice it for my workloads, but they promise better file system performance. What I will notice is a better terminal emulator. The current terminal emulator is no better than the one from the old Win 3.1 one. In particular for me, on konsole, I am used to ctrl shift c and v. In the Win10 terminal emulator, I need to mouse up to the top icon and select edit > copy and edit > paste with my mouse (but at least up arrow gives me my bash history).

1 Like

It's all part the typical approach: "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish".

By "embedding" Linux within Windows Microsoft is making Linux a part of Windows rather than it being a separate entity.

Once that happens, MS will "extend" its own version of Linux to provide features or functions which are not available to non-Windows platforms.

Then, people will target "MS Linux" and MS rolls it all up into Windows Penumbra and GNU/Linux goes the way of OS/2.

8 Likes

Windows :face_vomiting: and Linux :heart_eyes:
Together :sob:
Hope Linux has a large full container of Vaseline. :thinking:

2 Likes

But unless Microsoft tries to attack Linux directly, won't Linus just continue making new kernels and distro devs just continue improving their distros?