[Linux 4.9.11][PATCH][REQUEST] Enable Multitouch Support for Surface Pro 3

An AUR package would be awesome for testing. I am going to give Manjaro a big promotion if you guys pull this through (SP3 support OoTB).

Well, since philm is working on it, I think, there is no point in an AUR package since it most probably will be integrated in the official kernel packages soon. But if for some reason the patch won’t make it into the official packages, I can for sure have a look at it. Never packaged a kernel tbh, but shouldn’t be too hard if taking the official PKGBUILD as basis. :slight_smile:

Ok, some patches got already added to v4.10 release, however not the one you additional added to your v4.9.11 kernel. So we have to add the following:

1/3 HID: multitouch: enable the Surface 4 Type Cover Pro (JP) to report multitouch data
2/3 HID: multitouch: enable Surface 4 Type Cover Pro (non-JP) to report multitouch data
3/3 HID: multitouch: enable Surface 3 Type Cover Pro to report multitouch data

Other patches, which I posted also, might be already added to the v4.9.11 kernel, else you wouldn’t had the wanted result.

So to have a proper result I’ve to add all patches since Nov 23, 2016 to have a full support also in v4.9 series.

Ok first off thanks @philm for being awesome and doing the things with the patches and the stuffs.

Secondly, COMPLETELY lost when it comes to this as I literally installed yesterday.

I’m here because I follow @ReWritable and Slaneaw’s posts on RW’s site. Ran Ubuntu before with damn near full support for SP3 based on custom kernels but can’t get anything down in Manjaro.

So with the patches and stuff, what exactly would I have to do or need to? Or should I wait until things are released by Phil?

I’ll try to add some needed patches at least to v4.9.12 release of the kernel. Then you guys can test the result. I’ve almost a picture what is needed to be done to get it working. This will most happen in the unstable repos first.

v4.9.12 will be the kernel of Manjaro 17.0-rc2 release, most likely available by tomorrow. I’ll fully support Surface Pro3/4 out of the box. Kernel will land in testing and unstable branch as soon as both architectures are built. When available, please test and give some feedback till EOB tomorrow.

Having trouble booting on Surface 3

Personally I can’t do EOB, because my boss expects me to do my B during office hours. But will definitely test over the weekend.

@ReWritable: that is no problem at all. The ISO will include the kernel anyway. Take all the time you might need. If some is missing we have to wait for the next point release, as compiling kernels sometimes takes up to one hour …

I forgot to say thanks. This kind of reactivity to a proposal from the “outside” is rarely seen in major open source projects. It looks like my SP3 will finally be Manjarofied!

BTW, will the .ISO builds include Gnome edition? Obviously kernel can be tested with just about anything, but it likely is the most suitable DE for this form factor.

We provide XFCE and KDE editions. Gnome will be provided as a community editions. Most likely it will adopt the same kernel as linux49 is the kernel which will be used in general for v17.0 release.

I’ll test for ya. I’m doing a fresh wipe on the Surface and I’ll be running 17.0-rc2 as the solo OS on the computer.
I’ll let you know as soon as it gets released and I can test it.

x86_64 is ready for testing in our unstable branch.

Forgive my ignorance, where can I find it?

[Testing Update] 2017-02-24 - Kernels, CVE-2017-6074, Gstreamer, Surface 3 Pro OOTB
[Stable Update] 2017-02-24 - Kernels, Mesa, Deepin, Manjaro-Tools, Thunderbird-GTK3, Haskell
[Stable Update] 2017-02-28 - Kernels, Thunderbird, Octopi, Deepin

i686 should be online in about half an hour. Follow the steps of our wiki for accessing our unstable repos. The ISOs will be available when released. Follow our blog and forum announcements for the same.

@philm thanks for much for the quick work on this! It’s really refreshing to see a distro team that’s so open to suggestions from the community :slight_smile:

Pardon, this is my 1st time being involved with Manjaro’s development releases. Did I understand correctly I should:

• Download any any edition, install, enable unstable repos, update kernel, test?
  • Or is there an .ISO release to download, install & test?

And to confirm: 4.9.12 is the kernel release with the SP3 patch applied?

No, there is no special ISO, just download the most recent one and switch to unstable as described in the wiki entry linked by philm.

I’ll release v17.0-rc2 today, which includes the kernel. So wait for its release.

Got the unstable updates installed from the mirror. TYPECOVER WORKS!
Windows button on surface good, Wifi good, Volume buttons good, Power good, touch screen good, typecover trackpad doesn’t work though.
Thoughts? Anything I can put up to help troubleshoot it?

Downloaded the RC1 KDE, switched to Unstable repo, upgraded linux49:

• Two finger scrolling works on the touchpad :white_check_mark:
  • Mouse emulation needs to be enabled, or taps are not registered as mouse clicks :question:
  • Also the mechanical touchpad buttons/corners work :white_check_mark:

All the basic hardware features work: Touch screen, Windows-button, volume buttons, power button. I have just tested about 10 minutes, so can’t say anything about the stability. I was very surprised to see Fedora 25 acting all wonky on this, as the basic features have been Ok for some time.

So the initial expression is that this is quite usable! Need to test more.

@philm Found one non-Surface related issue, maybe. There is a delay of 0,5…1 seconds when opening the Application Launcher. Changing to Application Menu had no impact. I run Manjaro KDE stable on two PC:n and I have not noticed anything like this on them – and the SP3 is much more powerful than my aging Thinkpad x301, so this should not be a performance issue.