Linus Tech Tips Manjaro KDE plasma

My sons and my wife are normal people. Not nerds.

The Linus commentaries are the same commentaries that many people has left in the past over the years.
Maybe the only positive thing is what he said about the “developers war”. But we know that.
Edit: But maybe because the exposure, (millions of people) the developers write down what Linus says.
Yes, community issues but that happens in MS forums too, in fact, happens in any social media, or forum.

3 Likes

Talking about the majority of people who are ‘lambda’ or ‘prime’ users which seems to be the ones targeted too by Linus on his video i-e users often coming from Windows and often not really knowing about tech, one important point is security as they usually don’t have someone skilled on Linux nearby in case they do a mistake. Maybe adding an option in the installation process like BTRF configured automatically to save configuration for roll back especially when upgrading software and communicating about it would help make such users feel more confident ? I tested Garuda yesterday and some points on that part look interesting even if globally i prefer Linux Manjaro KDE that is much more polished.

1 Like

Honestly the average person would have ditched linux forever when they would screw up as Linus did and accidentally uninstall their DE; I’ve made that mistake too at a point when I already should have known better (part of the learning process I suppose), so I know how it feels.

Now I don’t wanna bash pop os, but that was just god damn embarrassing for them, how the hell did they screw up so royally? They’re not even a rolling release distro for gods sakes, they should have had plenty of time to prevent situations like this… Why is an OS like this so popular in the first place? After seeing this, I’m kinda glad I never bothered trying it out, I’m sure I would have been even more disappointed than Linus, and Linus swore off it in like 15 minutes.

I also understand his audio woes on manjaro, pulseaudio has always been a piece of crap (wonder if his audio would just work :tm: if he used pipewire instead :thinking: )

As for the guy that went with Mint, honestly the average person would not have fared as well as he did, I recall suffering when trying to install the linux driver on mint when I was new to linux, and also having problems because their nvidia driver was too outdated for me… But he clearly had some experience with this, 2 years on ubuntu is a long time, and he fared about as well as expected from someone who has used linux for that long. He knew better than to fall into pitfalls of people fresh out of windows with no understanding of how linux works.

I kinda wanna see part 2 now though, hope they release it soon.

2 Likes

The challenge is to install and use Linux system for gaming on their personal computer, coming from a lifetime of use of Windows system. What are you talking about?

Exposure to the 14 millions people subscribed and watching LTT videos.

2 Likes

Anyway, i am curious to see how gaming is going to work on Linus tests due to video drivers as he seems used to Windows and not so much Linux … and NVIDIA is not the most stable product in the Linux environment at this time … Windows had the blue screen of death and Linux the empty black screen :-/

Honestly I see as much if not even more people having issues with AMD or Intel in the support forum. They are all equally bad in my opinion. On my own experience I never have issues with Nvidia, but issues exist for specific cases that’s true. Issues also exist on AMD (it’s been six month I see the same thread popping up with issues still not fixed and people freezing/crashing with AMD, never saw that kind of unsolved issue on Nvidia), and Intel (today again I saw an issue in latest kernel still not solved, and similarly to AMD you can find many different issues).

The impression only Nvidia has issues on Linux is probably because there are many advocates of Open Source Software in Linux communities, here and in Manjaro staff, who don’t see the big picture.

Same :poop: different smell.

4 Likes

Linus Tech Tips

Linus Tech Tips

14.1M subscribers

Is this the same Linus that hangs out with Charlie Brown and sucks his thumb and drags his blanket around.If it is he seems like a good enough guy but not someone I’d want suggestions from on running Linux.

1 Like

A good comment on video to look at :slight_smile: good comment on video to look at
Linus BREAKS Linux! - Daily Driver Challenge Reaction - YouTube

2 Likes

Can you please read the complete post?
Don’t ask me “What I’m talking about” before read. Thanks.
And please let’s not make a war discussion of this, I shared what 3 totally new users had done. My wife and my sons.

2 Likes

Yeah, Chris Titus Tech did the same

Thx; I am looking at it right now and it’s nice and useful comments:

I read it all, that’s why I replied to it.

I think most of you miss the point of their challenge.

1 Like

Yes he want to play games only.
In my post I explain that. My sons can play without that mess Linus did with no reason.

Linus avoid the mess he did talking about the developers issues of Linux in general. Not the main reason of the “challenge” either.

1 Like

you can see more parts of this challenge on Floatplane if you’re impatient,but with a $subscription.

1 Like

I’m enjoying a lot using Manjaro KDE and also the Linux challenge and all feedbacks.

If if brings more users, it could bring rich ones to increased Manjaro funds troughs donations and the team can increase in size/quality.

Considering Linux try outs for new user due to the subject exposition in the social media, Manjaro forum can be flooded next months :smiley:

4 Likes

I think you have missed the point of the challenge. Linus has set out 6 steps to the challenge, the first part of the challenge is around setting up and gaming, yes I’ll agree with you on this but there are other parts to the challenge that have not yet been release.

If you watch The WAN Show the other parts of the challenge cover the day to day things that average users do, and actually Linus (and Luke) where very complementary about how easy Manjaro (and Mint) have been to use day to day. I believe Luke (the Co-host of The WAN Show) has converted hit laptop to Mint as a daily driver because it has been easier to use, more stable and feature rich than Windows. So I believe you when you say that both you sons and wife have moved to Linux without issue, I could probably do the same, but this isn’t everyone’s experience which is exactly the point.

Linus is completely correct to criticise installers, DE’s etc etc because without “ease of use” larger adoption of Linux just will not happen. The biggest problem [I think] that Linux faces is proprietary drivers. Every single one of my problems i have found with Linux is around some company that refuses to either write a driver for Linux or make it open source. From wireless cards to mice, its the same problems.

Looking forward to the next couple of videos!

9 Likes

Actually many of Linus staff is a Linux user. As of 2021 his last Windows server was switched to Linux. We Finally Did it Properly - "Linux" Whonnock Upgrade - YouTube. If you dig deeper in his videos you can see some of his staff really tuned in with Linux and also use it as a daily driver. Someone like Anthony for example. There are several videos made over the years by LTT " why switch to Linux" … Linus was mocked many many times over the years in some of his videos by colleges when something went wrong " This wouldn’t be an issue in Linux" … In this “challenge” he specifically wanted to make sure non of his Linux expert staff have an input in his experience so he can duplicate what would it feel like for a Linux noob to migrate. That being said the " challenge " was to try switching from Windows to Linux as a daily driver and see how it goes for a first time user. A wise community and developers will see this video as an 1. opportunity: on the negative feedback to fix some things and make the transition easier. 2. competition: see where we excel against other Distros and what we can take away from better solutions from others. 3. Exposure: Be it positive or negative the Manjaro name will definitely circulate more online which is a good thing. I been around Linux since it’s creation 1991 and actively using the system since the late 90s. In my opinion whatever the outcome will be, it is a great publicity and opportunity for the Linux community. I'm learning a lot about the Linux Community... - YouTube

4 Likes

Agree this was a major embarrassment for Pop!_OS. A Linux distro advertising itself as best tuned for gaming have this fail on installing steam. Ouch!!! They did respond withing a day and fixed it, but Ouch!!!. As for pulseaudio I think Manjaro ironed out some bugs in the last few years but we defiantly need to put more time into perfecting it. Mint team: I found the os pretty solid with generally even less issues then Ubuntu. Sure they have their issues ( like the window lagg bug) and there are many things we do much much better over mint but there is always something we can learn from competition.

2 Likes

Hah. The idea of a windows server at all is hilarious.
The idea of some operation ‘finally’ changing it in 2021 is also a bit funny.

4 Likes