Limited replies for new user

Yesterday I was forced to create a new forum account because my old one suddenly became unusable somehow. I had to create the new account because my computer wouldn’t boot as a result of the most recent update. After going back and forth with one helpful user, I was suddenly informed that as a new user I was limited to 21 replies. Somehow that’s not my idea of user friendly.

Thanks, BS86, for the tips. It was mostly, but not entirely a discussion with one helpful user. I’d have replied, but I’m still shut out for another 7 hours.

Now it seems I can’t even figure out how to PM, or find where forum help information is made available. Ya gotta have patience with us old fogies.

4 Likes

I was also hit by that limit on my first day, but I also understand the reasoning why such a limit exists. It helps prevent spam.
If you were only talking with one user, the better solution would be private messages. The software even suggests switching to PM’s when you continue to reply to only one user in a topic.

The limited reply is actually imposed on various other forums and it is usually to put a check on new users. I guess the forum devs are trying to make the forum a bit more secure and cautious following the recent troubles and that is totally fine.

@ersatz what account did you create? We can always merch accounts. Write ma a PM.

1 Like

Please remove the comment limit on posts, It is really frustrating to not be able to get back to someone I am either helping or being helped by and I can’t even tell them I can’t reply adding more frustration to the matter :frowning:

P.S Won’t be able to reply to this right away since this stupid limitation exists and I have other posts queued up that I need to reply to…

1 Like

Can someone direct me where to find which limits apply to which trust level?
In Understanding Discourse Trust Levels they don’t say much about it.
Or isn’t it related to trust levels at all?

It’s really annoying for us old-timers that were in the old forum, but it’ll take you about 24h-48h to get rid of this all by itself and it does keep the spammers out!

Enjoy the :sun_with_face: and get some vitamin D for the next couple of days…

:wink: :innocent:

5 Likes

Um… it tells you right there in your link…

Users at trust level 0 cannot

• Send personal messages to other users
  • “Reply as new topic” via Link button (UI removed)
  • Flag posts
  • Post more than 1 image
  • Post any attachments
  • Post more than 2 hyperlinks in a post
  • Have actual links in the ‘about me’ field of their profile (will be silently and temporarily converted to plain text)
  • Mention more than 2 users in a post
  • Post more than 3 topics
  • Post more than 10 replies
  • Edit their own posts after more than 24 hours

It’s not hard to get to the next trust level. You can do it in 15 minutes. All you need to do is:

If a new user is willing to spend a little time reading, they will quickly be promoted to the first trust level.

Get to trust level 1 by…

• Entering at least 5 topics
  • Reading at least 30 posts
  • Spend a total of 10 minutes reading posts

“Entering at least 5 topics” mean to click on the topic, not create a topic.

2 Likes

I mean fair enough but that’s still annoying especially for a user who isn’t new and had to make a new account because of the issue with the forum

Yes for tl0; but I expected a limiation for tl1 as well.
But perhaps a misunderstanding on my side.
Thanks for taking the trouble to point out anyway.

We’ve all had to go through that, unfortunately, except perhaps the moderators. :man_shrugging:

Yeah what a pain but oh well haha :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Sorry about that, with 35k users is hard to set new permissions for all, forum from 0, permissions from 0, content from 0, themes and plugins from 0, new structure from 0, however everyday we all move a step up.

6 Likes

Probably shouldn’t have nuked the old forums then, eh?

1 Like

They weren’t nuked. The database got corrupted, and apparently the corruption had already been going on unnoticed in the background for quite some time, because the backups were corrupted too.

The team has tried everything to salvage the situation, but in the end, there was no other option but to start anew.

The post below explains it all. :arrow_down:

1 Like

Right, I read that. :crazy_face:
I guess I’m just a cynic.

I’ll leave it at that though. Wouldn’t want to derail the thread.

:smirk:

1 Like

I just got to level 1, but I still cannot edit my older posts.

If they’re closed, you can’t; if they’re open can you give me a specific example, please?

:innocent:

.-. I can’t even link other threads in the forum.

Check my history for the first post I made, I guess?
Even if the thread was closed anyway, I always could edit even after years on the old forums.