Unofficial repository that hosts Arch packages removed from Manjaro Repos

A year ago, I started using Manjaro as my first full-time commitment to Linux on the Desktop.

I now use plain Arch on my main desktop and Manjaro on my laptops.

On my Manjaro machines, there have a been a few packages I’ve wanted to use from Arch that are not available on Manjaro. One of the biggest packages I’ve wanted to install is the linux-zen kernel, which seems particularly stable for my setup.

After a lot of trial and error, I have created a repository that contains all the packages removed from the Arch Repos and syncs hourly called “manjaro-removed-pkgs”:

https://github.com/ThePoorPilot/manjaro-removed-pkgs

If there are any packages you need on Manjaro that are removed, you are now able to add a repository to /etc/pacman.conf install them, and keep up to date with pacman!

Please understand this repo is unofficial and not supported by a major team. Treat it as somewhat experimental. I can verify that linux-zen installed flawlessly! Other packages could use testing

Warning

I don’t understand why you create an account just to announce you such repo.
If you are using plain Arch - then I don’t understand why you created such repo.

There is a reason why some Arch packages is not synced to the Manjaro repo - they are incompatible with a Manjaro system.

Announcing a repo which makes it possible to mix Arch specific packages into a Manjaro system is reckless to say the least.

If you want to use Arch then it is a piece of cake to migrate a Manjaro system to Arch - but you cannot mix the two.

As Arch user - you should know how difficult it is to mix Arch and Manjaro and inexperienced users will stumble trying to use such repo and could easily end up with a dysfunctional system maybe even broken - and they don’t know better than to complain on the forum about their broken Manjaro system.

You topic has been unlisted for this very reason - as it makes a Manjaro system completely unsupported.

1 Like

I mostly agree with this. I should have more strongly emphasized that mixing packages is done to your own peril. It is something inherently experimental. Fortunately, most of the removed packages are not system critical and do not conflict with other packages.

It is not something that anyone should expect to be supported in any capacity (although forum users do have a habit of expecting everything is supported).

This is not entirely true. As an example, I’ve got the linux-zen kernel running on Manjaro with no hassle. There are a few packages that are entirely incompatible (usually because of C libraries, etc.) It would probably be responsible to test each package and remove incompatible packages just to prevent user problems.

I think a lot of the packages removed on the Manjaro repos are more likely removed because they are complex or difficult to use, which would cause a burden for support. There are also examples of packages that just destroy your system like grub-customizer.

My projects tend to be “what you are not supposed to do.”
For example, I recently ported pacman to Ubuntu: GitHub - ThePoorPilot/pacman-utils: Debian package that installs Arch Linux Pacman tools(repo-add, makepkg, etc.)

I find beauty in getting things to work that aren’t supposed to work.
I understand, however, that not all users are quite as advanced.

I completely agree - as a developer we are inventing all the time - and I like it.

And sometimes we write code - simply because we can - and because we can other people have discovered our skills which makes our skills a valuable commodity.

1 Like